Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civics Options - What did you like/hate
You'd think with the amount of resources SDC have obviously put into expanding their course offerings they'd put at least a couple brain cells into ease of navigation. While using it you can come up with some easy fixes to make it a far smoother experience in about 5 minutes.

Straighterline has some annoying quirks or glitches or something weird going on within the course dashboard. I remember always clicking for it to take me one place and it takes me somewhere else, then it takes about 3-4 clicks to get me where it was supposed to take me in the first place.

Sophia for the definite win.
Yes, it is also odd that for sdc each lesson is taught by someone different rather than one course with one teacher and/or three tutors such as all the other platforms. Little snippets here and there and that is also why it is hard to follow as the language and style changes for each lesson. 100 lessons/100 different people. And there is also lots of repetition. It is easy but tedious. I don't even watch the videos, they are boring and each video has a different narrator.

The Vitalsource books at Straighterline are so nice.
(09-01-2020, 10:33 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Even so, the retries should not be limited, I should be able to take a course as many times as I want and pay for it. The limitation is because they are in a contract with universities. Unequivocally the students will take the course at the college in the end since they need those UL courses to graduate. I will take same courses with BYU Independent Studies first if I happen to fail any on SDC, so I save money.

I mean if you fail an exam 3 times, you should maybe rethink the course. Even at a college, you don't get to take the exam more than once. You have to pay full tuition and fees to repeat the course and both stay on your transcripts. If someone fails a class 3 times, they maybe should look for a new major because they're not understanding the material.
Not the exam. The course.
I always said course not exam.
(09-02-2020, 03:50 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Not the exam. The course.

Even if you fail a course - which I don't know how you could on SDC - then that's on you. You're not rushed. There's no timeline. You get tons of quizzes so you can see where you're struggling. Even at a B&M school you only get to take a class once then you pay full tuition and fees to repeat it. That grade is on your transcripts and many schools use both grades in your GPA. Why focus on failing? Tell yourself you will succeed and pass!
That's right, the majority if not all of the courses at Sophia.org/StraighterLine/Study.com do not have "timers" for anything but the final exam. Most, if not all the courses require a culminating score above 70% to get ACE recommendation for credit. Unless you find a provider that does Grad credits, I think those need to be 80% before you get the ACE recommendation. In any case, the only thing to really work hard on is the final exam as it's proctored and timed, the rest of the course is more of a prep tool for passing the final.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-02-2020, 05:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Even if you fail a course - which I don't know how you could on SDC - then that's on you. You're not rushed. There's no timeline. You get tons of quizzes so you can see where you're struggling. Even at a B&M school you only get to take a class once then you pay full tuition and fees to repeat it. That grade is on your transcripts and many schools use both grades in your GPA. Why focus on failing? Tell yourself you will succeed and pass!
Thanks, I agree, and am not focused on failing, in fact so far I haven't failed any of the online courses I have taken (except for two CLEP exams waaay back).

(This topic has been covered ad nauseam, and this is my last post in this thread.)

Speaking of CLEP, that type of exam allows unlimited retakes if failed and only the passing scores are transferred.
(09-02-2020, 09:09 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 05:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Thanks, I agree, and am not focused on failing, in fact so far I haven't failed any of the online courses I have taken (except for two CLEP exams waaay back).

(This topic has been covered ad nauseam, and this is my last post in this thread.)

Speaking of CLEP, that type of exam allows unlimited retakes if failed and only the passing scores are transferred.

With CLEP you still have to pay to retake the exam. The Modern States freebie deal isn't going to last forever. Most people don't even know it exists.
(09-03-2020, 02:11 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Yes but I am free to pay and it is not limited. I wasn't talking about the free voucher.

Why worry about it since you haven't failed a class? Seems silly to worry about something that hasn't happened to you. Many colleges do limit how many times you can repeat a class. You also have to keep your GPA above a certain point or you're kicked out of the school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the quickest social science options for the BOG? Midnightsky7 13 1,421 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Statistics - options now (quick and easy) allvia 5 1,124 04-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia Difficulty - Alternative Credit Options splirow 17 3,342 09-19-2021, 10:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU sociology options? Fibrazer 2 658 03-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Fibrazer
  Geometry and Credit Banking Options acamp 13 2,156 01-08-2021, 09:51 AM
Last Post: acamp
  Public Speaking Options jthatcher50 3 1,101 04-28-2020, 06:27 PM
Last Post: jthatcher50
  online degree classes study material options mdel210201 1 907 03-17-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question TESU UL class options breezyt 4 1,360 02-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: rckola911
  COSC Oral Communications UL Options jthatcher50 3 1,111 01-15-2020, 04:49 PM
Last Post: jthatcher50
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 36 7,707 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: allvia