Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civil Service Exam
I have to take the Office Support Exam Wednesday. I'm trying so hard to get out of the hotel/customer service/shift work arena. I didn't realize until recently that the tests were free to take, which was one reason I never thought about them. I also assumed there would be a lot of math involved, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Office Support. The only catch is that you have to wait 90 days if you want to re-test just like a CLEP. Not bad at all for a government job with benefits. Plus, the potential mobility. Please, yes god, the potential mobility.

I was wondering if any of you have ever taken one of these? There are seven different exams covering different fields. The two I would say I'm qualified for are the Office Support and Professional Level exams, though I need to study a bit for the latter.

I'm told Office Support is all common sense, but I'm still a little nervous. Any tips?

I know these are good for federal jobs, but does anyone have any idea how these transfer between states? Is my Louisiana test good in Texas, etc.? Or will I just have to take a new one if I transfer out of state?

Any other helpful tidbits and information are appreciated.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
All of the civil service exams I've taken were specific to a position within a specific government agency.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Apparently, in Louisiana at least, these tests cover several different job titles: Louisiana State Civil Service -

Now, I would still have to meet the additional qualifications of the department I'm applying to, but the test is a part of those qualifications. You never took a more general exam?
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
Tedium Wrote:Apparently, in Louisiana at least, these tests cover several different job titles: Louisiana State Civil Service -

Now, I would still have to meet the additional qualifications of the department I'm applying to, but the test is a part of those qualifications. You never took a more general exam?

I've never seen a general civil service exam in Texas. Most civil service exams here are administered by law enforcement agencies for peace officer, jailer, and telecommunicator positions.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
The state of CA has a bazillion civil service exams, very specific to the job you are in (none are general). You need to pass specific tests to get onto lists before you can get hired for jobs. They do not transfer between states as far as I can see. I would assume that every state has their own qualifications and rules.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
sanantone Wrote:I've never seen a general civil service exam in Texas. Most civil service exams here are administered by law enforcement agencies for peace officer, jailer, and telecommunicator positions.

dfrecore Wrote:The state of CA has a bazillion civil service exams, very specific to the job you are in (none are general). You need to pass specific tests to get onto lists before you can get hired for jobs. They do not transfer between states as far as I can see. I would assume that every state has their own qualifications and rules.

Louisiana always has to be different lol. If I need to transfer states, it's not really a problem to take a new test. I was just curious. The ones here are only good for two years, anyway. What's probably more important is gaining government experience. Thanks for the replies and wish me luck. I test tomorrow!
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
I forgot. Individual fire departments also have their own exams here. They have the freedom to choose the company or design their own tests. I've taken written tests at the state level, but none of them were civil service. Good luck.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Here are a few sample questions that may help. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Passed! Had my score results in a few hours. Thought I was going to have to wait a week. Now I just have to wait for some positions to open.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
Congratulations.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. Civil War in 2024 LevelUP 29 2,047 04-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  U.S. Congress Passes a TikTok Ban Bill Which Sets Americans on Course for Civil War LevelUP 24 1,514 03-23-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Cell Phone Deal - OnePlus Nord 30 - Best Buy $0 plus cost for X days service bjcheung77 6 776 03-06-2024, 06:46 PM
  Israel Attack Ignites Civil War Inside Both Political Parties LevelUP 17 2,023 01-03-2024, 06:58 PM
  Customer Service Alpha 1 487 08-16-2022, 09:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Got a product or service? Shark Tank... bjcheung77 0 461 04-03-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Oregon Might Do Away w/the Bar Exam Altogether bluebooger 1 558 02-01-2022, 08:46 PM
  Mail forwarding/scanning service - International bjcheung77 4 915 01-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Passed the PenTest+ beta exam! jamshid666 8 1,154 11-16-2021, 07:20 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Um, which take out delivery service or app do you use? bjcheung77 4 845 11-03-2020, 06:03 PM
Last Post: rachel83az