Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class Ring pricing (rip off!)
I stumbled upon this pricing scam….

I was ordering my son’s high school yearbook (on Jostens) and out of curiosity, I clicked on the class jewelry link.  I saw the pricing of some of the rings and decided to look up what they offered for my college.   I never did get a class ring back then.  The exact same ring is DOUBLE the cost.  All the same options.  So I googled a few other class ring manufacturers and found the same thing.  Same metal, same jewel, same options…. And the college rings are significantly more than the high school rings.  

That’s just dirty.   Angry
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
The ring makers have to pay for the licensing for colleges. Few high schools have licensing like colleges do. Colleges trademark their names, colors, and mascots.
(01-26-2022, 12:15 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The ring makers have to pay for the licensing for colleges. Few high schools have licensing like colleges do. Colleges trademark their names, colors, and mascots.

I was initially thinking that same thing… but I think that’s a bunch of crap.  They don’t charge you $300 for a sweatshirt, backpack, coffee mug…. And all those other spirit items that have those same elements.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)

(01-26-2022, 07:16 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 12:15 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The ring makers have to pay for the licensing for colleges. Few high schools have licensing like colleges do. Colleges trademark their names, colors, and mascots.

I was initially thinking that same thing… but I think that’s a bunch of crap.  They don’t charge you $300 for a sweatshirt, backpack, coffee mug…. And all those other spirit items that have those same elements.
No but you will pay more than you will a fruit  of the loom that has “Grandma” screen printed on it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • ss20ts
(01-26-2022, 10:21 AM)Pats20 Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 07:16 AM)Vle045 Wrote:

No but you will pay more than you will a fruit  of the loom that has “Grandma” screen printed on it.

Hahaha.. maybe a buck or two.  Not $300 more
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

It's possible that universities charge more for licensing rights for rings than they do for t-shirts & mugs because they know that people will pay more for a ring than they will a t-shirt or a mug.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
They sell a heck of a lot more t-shirts than class rings. That could be part of what impacts the cost especially licensing fees. Class rings aren't nearly as popular as they were decades ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
(01-25-2022, 08:43 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I stumbled upon this pricing scam….

I was ordering my son’s high school yearbook (on Jostens) and out of curiosity, I clicked on the class jewelry link.  I saw the pricing of some of the rings and decided to look up what they offered for my college.   I never did get a class ring back then.  The exact same ring is DOUBLE the cost.  All the same options.  So I googled a few other class ring manufacturers and found the same thing.  Same metal, same jewel, same options…. And the college rings are significantly more than the high school rings.  

I am not at all shocked.  If anything, I'm shocked that you're shocked.  My sense of it is that historically, parents have bought these rings as a gift for their graduating child.  I think they've always been overpriced.  It's opportunistic profit, not much different than the price of popcorn at the movie theatre.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • ss20ts
Popcorn is a bit different. Popcorn profit helps keep the theater open, which ticket sales may not do. Ring sales aren't keeping schools open. Big Grin
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-26-2022, 03:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Popcorn is a bit different. Popcorn profit helps keep the theater open, which ticket sales may not do. Ring sales aren't keeping schools open. Big Grin

So true on the popcorn.  I worked in movie theaters when I was in college.  I recall that the manager told me that the theater did not make money on ticket sales.  That goes to the production studios, actors, etc. The movie theatre makes their money on concesssions.

(01-26-2022, 02:45 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 08:43 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I stumbled upon this pricing scam….

I am not at all shocked.  If anything, I'm shocked that you're shocked.  My sense of it is that historically, parents have bought these rings as a gift for their graduating child.  I think they've always been overpriced.  It's opportunistic profit, not much different than the price of popcorn at the movie theatre.

But the huge increase between high school and college is just wrong.  Especially considering I was comparing the EXACT SAME rings.  Not a single difference.  Same color, stone, etc.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 748 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Student Loans Cancelled for an Entire Graduating Class Jonathan Whatley 9 2,319 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Black NYU Student Kept from Attending Class sanantone 24 3,177 02-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Class Rings? rowan555 15 4,156 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Property Pricing in your area - gone up or down? bjcheung77 37 3,559 06-27-2016, 03:47 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  What is the hardest class you have ever taken? soliloquy 20 2,652 10-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Last Post: nleamons
  Professor fails everyone in class ajs1976 8 1,374 04-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Last Post: defscarlett
  Class Dismissed - the movie cookderosa 1 1,004 11-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  TESC College Ring Lemurian_Spirit 7 1,120 07-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Last Post: scorched
  Big 3 Class Rings CLEP101 10 4,077 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Last Post: rebel100