Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Professor fails everyone in class
Irwin Horwitz, Texas A&M Galveston professor, hits 'breaking point,' fails entire class - Washington Times
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

If a professor has to fail an ENTIRE class, perhaps he is the one who failed.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I read a number of articles, but none of them had more detail about what happened. Seems like there is an issue with the prof, but this is a senior level major requirement class. If students were going to push a professor like that, I would expect it to be in a freshmen level or some blow off gen ed class.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

I'm reserving judgment until we have more details. I find it hard to believe that EVERY student in the class has been misbehaving. On the other hand....there's crazier stuff that's happened.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
Read the comments:

"Having graduated from there ('86) I can tell you that he's dealing with a tough crowd, including prospective Merchant Mariners in the Cadet Corps. It's no place for the thin skinned. The prof should move on. I recommend UT Austin."

"LOL MBA candidates taking and failing 'Strategic Management' for "disrespect, backstabbing, lying and cheating"? LOL Sounds about right. Right on, right on, Professor Horwitz!"

"Nope, professor is not the problem. The new grads are the problem.
1. They are not team players.
2. They do not want to work hard to climb ladder. They think back stabbing is their way to success.
3. They seem to think that they deserve everything because they have a degree. (BTW I have seen better workers without degree,)

4. They lack organizational and time management skills.
5. They don't take responsibility for their work.
6. They also seem to think business = lying.

Now I am not saying all of them are like that but an awful lot are."
I would have failed 90% of the students I had at an NA for-profit if I could have because they didn't have the aptitude for college-level work, didn't learn anything in their previous courses, and didn't care about learning anything. Unfortunately, professors and instructors who teach upper level and capstone courses have to deal with the failures of previous professors and instructors. In my case, I taught the last three courses in a certificate program.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I would have failed 90% of the students I had at an NA for-profit if I could have because they didn't have the aptitude for college-level work, didn't learn anything in their previous courses, and didn't care about learning anything. Unfortunately, professors and instructors who teach upper level and capstone courses have to deal with the failures of previous professors and instructors. In my case, I taught the last three courses in a certificate program.

Why couldn't you?
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
defscarlett Wrote:Why couldn't you?

I failed a lot who didn't turn in their work on time. But, for the ones who completed all of their tasks on time, it was very difficult to fail them. They would pressure instructors to pass students who couldn't read or write past the elementary level and didn't understand the concepts. If you did fail a student, then they would have the opportunity to turn in missing assignments and redo others for a passing grade. Sometimes, they would give them two or three months to correct their grade.

One student managed to get through most of the program by cheating. When I had him for the last course in the certificate program, I caught him cheating and assigned him an alternative assignment. Everything he turned in was wrong. He didn't know anything. After revising his assignment a couple of times, it was still mostly wrong. Instead of getting frustrated with the student, the program chair was getting frustrated with me. Apparently, she was helping him, and the answers still weren't right. The school was just terrible all around.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I failed a lot who didn't turn in their work on time. But, for the ones who completed all of their tasks on time, it was very difficult to fail them. They would pressure instructors to pass students who couldn't read or write past the elementary level and didn't understand the concepts. If you did fail a student, then they would have the opportunity to turn in missing assignments and redo others for a passing grade. Sometimes, they would give them two or three months to correct their grade.

One student managed to get through most of the program by cheating. When I had him for the last course in the certificate program, I caught him cheating and assigned him an alternative assignment. Everything he turned in was wrong. He didn't know anything. After revising his assignment a couple of times, it was still mostly wrong. Instead of getting frustrated with the student, the program chair was getting frustrated with me. Apparently, she was helping him, and the answers still weren't right. The school was just terrible all around.

Oh wow. You gotta love politics.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 749 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Class Ring pricing (rip off!) Vle045 11 2,076 01-27-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: freeloader
  Student Loans Cancelled for an Entire Graduating Class Jonathan Whatley 9 2,319 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Black NYU Student Kept from Attending Class sanantone 24 3,179 02-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Class Rings? rowan555 15 4,162 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
  From Army Vet math phobe to Engineering professor april004 0 775 04-25-2016, 12:07 PM
Last Post: april004
  Kind of annoyed that professor won't let semester end. soliloquy 12 1,562 12-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  What is the hardest class you have ever taken? soliloquy 20 2,657 10-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Last Post: nleamons
  Class Dismissed - the movie cookderosa 1 1,004 11-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Funny April Fools joke played on professor soliloquy 3 1,084 04-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku