Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra
Hello,
Has anyone used Instantcert for prep for college algebra clep? If so, do you feel it was a good source for prep? I have used Instantcert in the past for other cleps and I am not head over heals with the content matter vs. what is actually on the Clep. I have used some other sources to prepare for the college algebra clep and I did poor on a practice test from Clep. I need to get this and Stats testing complete this semester. Any suggestions for prep?
Thank you!
You could sign up for ALEKS.com for $20/mo, I think that would prepare you well, and if you're going to one of the Big 3, they will accept ALEKS College Algebra instead of the CLEP.

Saylor's Beginning Algebra also translates (to TESC at least) as College Algebra, it's free to go through the course, and only $25 to take the proctored exam for credit.

Of you must take the CLEP, then Khan Academy is free.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Presently, I'm taking Beg. Alg. w/ ALEKS. (I can't remember what the previous course was, but I took it as well.) Next, I'll take Algebra. Then, College Algebra. Math isn't easy for me, but Col. Alg. is the only thing between me and my BSBA.

Let us know how you prepare for the CLEP, and what you found most helpful. ALEKS is VERY specific with its answers. I think CLEP's presenting answers, and letting you choose might be easier. If ALEKS pickiness gets to be too much of a barrier as I progress, I think I'll just try to take the CLEP, cross my fingers, and see how my luck holds.

Good luck.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Okay, I just re-read my 1/20/15 post. Wow, do I really need to own up. It's not ALEKS' pickiness, it's my carelessness. It's my forgetting to include a negative sign, or use the correct letter for the variable.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
It feels like I'm taking forever to get through Aleks College Algebra. In 15 days, I've logged over 53 hours but I've gone from an initial assessment of 4% to 44% so I'm more than halfway there. Really want to finish before the start of my last two classes on 4/6. At this pace, I should do it. I guess it just feels like it's taking a while to get through, because I need to log so much time to relearn what I forgot after being out of high school for over 25 years.

I like Aleks more than a class because I don't have to take 3 months to do it, the price is right and I feel like I'm learning alot. As a matter of fact, after I'm done with what I need for my degree credit, I'm thinking of keeping the Aleks subscription going and continuing to take more math courses. I'm a Six Sigma white belt and if I want to move on to green or black belts, knowing the math will come in handy.

Thanks to all on this forum for suggesting it and all the other time and money saving higher ed hacks.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
Your doing fine if you started out at 4% and can finish the whole course within 120 hours. A math-phobic student of mine took 240 hours to complete College Algebra but is currently doing fine in Pre-Calc. Always remember that a 1 semester "real" course of knowledge comprises 9 hours/week for 15 weeks. I would also suggest that if you are going on in math that you complete 100% of the lower level course pie. It costs you nothing in time as you start out at an equivalent higher level for the next course in sequence but move faster because of the firmer foundation of the previous course.
lizzybme Wrote:Hello,
Has anyone used Instantcert for prep for college algebra clep? If so, do you feel it was a good source for prep? I have used Instantcert in the past for other cleps and I am not head over heals with the content matter vs. what is actually on the Clep. I have used some other sources to prepare for the college algebra clep and I did poor on a practice test from Clep. I need to get this and Stats testing complete this semester. Any suggestions for prep?
Thank you!

I used Instacert prepping for college algebra clep and failed with a 48. Tongue So I would not recommend Instacert for college math because I got 85-100% correct on the flashcards, even going over them two or three different times, but the actual clep content's focus and difficulty level was different from instacert's. Though I might have managed to pass if it weren't for running out of time; I had to answer around 10 of the questions without even reading them. (80 questions in 90 minutes--1.1 minutes per answer, so you gotta be quick)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 135 Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,229 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,608 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,971 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 263 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 542 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 421 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 750 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 220 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 256 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP