Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra
Can someone direct me to the right forum to discuss the college algebra at tesu (mat-121)
I am about to drop the course. I need some suggestions on how to pass this course.
Thanks.
(03-26-2019, 08:57 AM)mikesar Wrote: Can someone direct me to the right forum to discuss the college algebra at tesu (mat-121)
I am about to drop the course. I need some suggestions on how to pass this course.
Thanks.
You can take the equivalent free at Saylor: https://www.saylor.org/partners/credit-p...r-partner/

Before you drop it, why are you dropping it?
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
You could also try Aleks College Algebra for $20/month.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(03-26-2019, 10:13 AM)udi Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 08:57 AM)mikesar Wrote: Can someone direct me to the right forum to discuss the college algebra at tesu (mat-121)
Thanks.
You can take the equivalent free at Saylor: https://www.saylor.org/partners/credit-p...r-partner/

Before you drop it, why are you dropping it?

I took Introductory Algebra at a Community College 10 years ago and did very well. College Algebra which is more advanced, seems too overwhelming. I am constantly falling behind and I didn't take the midterm because I miserably failed the practice exam. It seems I need to go back and review the basics.
(03-26-2019, 11:23 AM)mikesar Wrote: I took Introductory Algebra at a Community College 10 years ago and did very well. College Algebra which is more advanced, seems too overwhelming. I am constantly falling behind and I didn't take the midterm because I miserably failed the practice exam. It seems I need to go back and review the basics.

The hardest thing about studying math online is that there isn't anyone to walk you through problems when you don't understand how to do them. I have two suggestions besides using the obvious online resources like Khan Academy, etc... The first is to get the solutions manual for whatever textbook you're using. Instead of just having the answers to half the problems like there is in the back of the book, it will actually show the solutions for those problems step-by-step. This is very helpful. The second suggestion is to hire a local tutor who can help you with difficult concepts.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • mikesar
(03-26-2019, 11:33 AM)davewill Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 11:23 AM)mikesar Wrote: I took Introductory Algebra at a Community College 10 years ago and did very well. College Algebra which is more advanced, seems too overwhelming. I am constantly falling behind and I didn't take the midterm because I miserably failed the practice exam. It seems I need to go back and review the basics.

The hardest thing about studying math online is that there isn't anyone to walk you through problems when you don't understand how to do them. I have two suggestions besides using the obvious online resources like Khan Academy, etc... The first is to get the solutions manual for whatever textbook you're using. Instead of just having the answers to half the problems like there is in the back of the book, it will actually show the solutions for those problems step-by-step. This is very helpful. The second suggestion is to hire a local tutor who can help you with difficult concepts.

Thanks.
Is there a solutions manual for openstax CollegeAlgebra-OP?
(03-26-2019, 11:49 AM)mikesar Wrote: Is there a solutions manual for openstax CollegeAlgebra-OP?

There seems to be an instructor solutions manual (which I assume has ALL the solutions rather than half like a student one would): https://openstax.org/details/books/colle...0resources

You may or may not be able to access that, and obviously you wouldn't want to use it to cheat on homework. A second choice would be to buy a different textbook that does have a solutions manual. Use it just for self-study. If you don't care about the edition of the text, you can usually find them dirt cheap (like $10).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • mikesar
(03-26-2019, 12:43 PM)davewill Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 11:49 AM)mikesar Wrote: Is there a solutions manual for openstax CollegeAlgebra-OP?

There seems to be an instructor solutions manual: https://openstax.org/details/books/colle...0resources

You may or may not be able to access that, and obviously you wouldn't want to use it to cheat on homework. A second choice would be to buy a different textbook that does have a solutions manual. Use it just for self-study. If you don't care about the edition of the text, you can usually find them dirt cheap (like $10).

Thanks. This is a great suggestion. I am also looking into Modern States College Algebra course. It looks like an instructor driven video tutorials kind of system. 
Appreciate all the help.
Just take the Sophia course. Nuff said.
(04-18-2019, 11:38 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Just take the Sophia course. Nuff said.

Why?
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 322 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  TESU Calculus III & Linear Algebra satori 3 1,692 05-22-2023, 09:24 PM
Last Post: taylorgodiva28
  TESU - Community College & RA Questions mt_1994 22 1,823 03-08-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Questions about linear algebra zoey_ 3 746 02-01-2023, 07:38 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  SNHU Calc 2, 3, and linear algebra. Do they transfer to TESU? CanICode 3 662 01-16-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU Public Speaking / Sociology / College Writing 1+2 alternatives zolpgree 7 808 12-13-2022, 01:57 AM
  TESU: UL credit for community college courses? studyingfortests 10 1,350 01-29-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU won't accept my community college transfer credits!? chessca 4 965 01-07-2022, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Canadian College Diploma Credits Transferring as Foreign Credits omarbeila 15 1,380 08-19-2021, 01:09 PM
  Linear algebra Pats20 0 459 08-14-2021, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Pats20