Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help with a Degree Plan
I am looking to complete my bachelor's as quickly as possible. I'd like to complete a degree with one of the big 3 using as much CLEP, DSST, etc. as possible. I have the following credits:

Cochise College (AAS Electronics Technology):
ELT 105 Introduction to DC Circuits (3 CR)
ELT 106 Introduction to AC Circuits (4 CR)
ELT 110 Math for Electronics (3 CR)
ELT 122 Semiconductors and Transistors (4 CR)
ELT 233 Digital Circuits and Systems (4 CR)
ELT 243 Modern Electronic Devices (4 CR)
ELT 245 Communication Electronics I (4 CR)
ELT 247 Communication Electronics II (4 CR)
CIS 140 Intro to Operating Systems (3 CR)
ELT 265 Microprocessors and Microcomputers (4 CR)
ELT 125 Electronic Circuits and Systems (4 CR)
ENG 101 English Composition (3 CR)
ELT 231 Pulse Circuits (4 CR)
MAT 151 College Algebra (4 CR)
CIS 120 Intro to Information Systems (3 CR)

Pierce College:
Intro to Political Science (4 CR)

CLEP:
Info Systems and Comp Applications (ACE Rec Hrs 3)
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (ACE Rec Hrs 6)

DSST:
Personal Finance (ACE Rec Hrs 3)

JST (Joint Service Transcript):
First Aid (ACE Rec Hrs 1)
Marksmanship (ACE Rec Hrs 2)
Physical Conditioning (ACE Rec Hrs 2)

COMPTIA NET+ Certification: (3 CR)

I also have 15 years of work experience in my industry and have read there may be a way to do a PLA and receive some credit for that.

Any help with which school and degree plan these would fit best with would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Check my signature for the TESU PLA tips thread. Ignoring the back chatter about fees, there's a lot of good info there. The TLDR is that PLA is quite doable, but if you can simply pass a test or online course, that's usually the easiest way. What degree are you looking for? If it's IT, you might prefer WGU since not only would you be able to test out of all the GenEd, but you will get many certs included in your tuition price.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
What degree do you want?

I would suggest starting off looking at WGU, they will give you credit for your AAS, and all your Gen Eds will be waived - 1/4 to 1/3 of your degree will be completed (depending on which one you choose). They do a block transfer in general.

Then look at the Big 3 and see which degrees you're interested in at each school.

Then report back and let us know.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It's best if we know what degree you want. If you're wanting to stick with electrical/electronics. Tesu has BS in electrical technology and BS in electronics systems engineering technology (ABET). Excelsior has electrical engineering technology (ABET). COSC has BS in engineering studies. All of those options would require you take several more upper level classes in that area of study so would not be very quick. If you really just want to finish your bachelor's as quickly as possible, then a bachelor's in Liberal studies would be the quickest and allow you to CLEP/DSST/ACE/NCCRS your way through the remainder of your degree(besides capstone).

Another option more flexible than the electronics/electrical but less flexible than BALS would be TESU BS in technical studies.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-17-2018, 08:49 AM)davewill Wrote: Check my signature for the TESU PLA tips thread. Ignoring the back chatter about fees, there's a lot of good info there. The TLDR is that PLA is quite doable, but if you can simply pass a test or online course, that's usually the easiest way. What degree are you looking for? If it's IT, you might prefer WGU since not only would you be able to test out of all the GenEd, but you will get many certs included in your tuition price.

Thank you for your help. I'm not looking for a specific degree. I'm just looking for the fastest way to complete a bachelor's (in anything) through a regionally accredited school. I just need a bachelor's as a prerequisite to attend the business schools I'm looking at for an MBA. I have a limited amount of time to use my GI bill so time is my highest priority. Thanks again!
(08-17-2018, 11:09 AM)SRES Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 08:49 AM)davewill Wrote: Check my signature for the TESU PLA tips thread. Ignoring the back chatter about fees, there's a lot of good info there. The TLDR is that PLA is quite doable, but if you can simply pass a test or online course, that's usually the easiest way. What degree are you looking for? If it's IT, you might prefer WGU since not only would you be able to test out of all the GenEd, but you will get many certs included in your tuition price.

Thank you for your help. I'm not looking for a specific degree. I'm just looking for the fastest way to complete a bachelor's (in anything) through a regionally accredited school. I just need a bachelor's as a prerequisite to attend the business schools I'm looking at for an MBA. I have a limited amount of time to use my GI bill so time is my highest priority. Thanks again!

Perfect. TESU BALS would probably be your quickest route, then. Using PLA would be too time intensive as it requires you to take 8-12 weeks of courses(PLA 100-200) plus however long it takes you to develop a portfolio. Also, PLA would be unnecessary at that point since you can just use CLEP/DSST/Study.com/StraighterLine/TECEP/other ACE&NCCRS Courses.

I would start with the institutes ethics course (2 credits) since it's free, ACE approved, and pretty quick for most people. Most importantly, it satisfies the ethics requirement.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(08-17-2018, 09:08 AM)dfrecore Wrote: What degree do you want?

I would suggest starting off looking at WGU, they will give you credit for your AAS, and all your Gen Eds will be waived - 1/4 to 1/3 of your degree will be completed (depending on which one you choose).  They do a block transfer in general.

Then look at the Big 3 and see which degrees you're interested in at each school.

Thanks for the advice on WGU! Just to clarify, are you saying that if I transferred all of my credits to WGU, then transfer my WGU credits to one of the big 3, I would have 1/4-1/3 of my degree complete? I was hoping my credits would put me at least halfway to a bachelor's, but maybe that's not realistic. The degree type or where it's from doesn't matter to me as long as the institution is regionally accredited. I'm just looking for the fastest route possible so that I have time to use my GI bill for an MBA before it expires.
Just a heads up, we now have a "forever GI bill" so I would look into the details of that to see if it applies to you. Then maybe you don't have to rush through a degree.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/FGIBSummaries.asp

(08-17-2018, 06:55 PM)SRES Wrote:

I would suggest starting off looking at WGU, they will give you credit for your AAS, and all your Gen Eds will be waived - 1/4 to 1/3 of your degree will be completed (depending on which one you choose).  They do a block transfer in general.

Thanks for the advice on WGU! Just to clarify, are you saying that if I transferred all of my credits to WGU, then transfer my WGU credits to one of the big 3, I would have 1/4-1/3 of my degree complete? I was hoping my credits would put me at least halfway to a bachelor's, but maybe that's not realistic. The degree type or where it's from doesn't matter to me as long as the institution is regionally accredited. I'm just looking for the fastest route possible so that I have time to use my GI bill for an MBA before it expires.

Btw, that's not how it works. There would be no point in transferring to WGU then big 3.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • SRES
(08-17-2018, 07:06 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Just a heads up, we now have a "forever GI bill" so I would look into the details of that to see if it applies to you. Then maybe you don't have to rush through a degree.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/FGIBSummaries.asp

(08-17-2018, 06:55 PM)SRES Wrote:

Btw, that's not how it works. There would be no point in transferring to WGU then big 3.

Yep, I've looked into the forever GI Bill. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to me. 

If you think the BALS through TESU will be the fastest, then that's probably the route I'll take. I've submitted my transcripts to both TESU and Escelsior for review, but haven't heard back yet. Do you think I would be starting the BALS from scratch, or will some of my credits I listed possibly transfer? Thanks for the suggestion on Institutes Ethics course! Is there a list somewhere of what CLEPS, DSST, etc. would satisfy the degree requirements for the TESU BALS? Thank you!
All or most of your classes should transfer. Maybe they won't all apply to your specific degree. But you should automatically have a pretty solid start on it. Once they give you an academic evaluation of all your credits, you can see how they may apply to different degrees.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 583 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 259 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 599 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 496 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 280 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 839 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,225 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,808 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74