Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College honors programs?
I was recently invited to participate in my university's honors program. Im pretty excited because it can lead to a few small scholarships, but weighing the pros/cons because no matter how you slice it there is extra work involved. One extra class and a few honors level classes of courses Id have to take anyway, plus a paper and a big project.

I plan to apply to grad schools after getting my BSW as well, so Im also wondering just how much the honors program would help with admission.

Does your school have an honors program? Did you participate? Did you benefit in any way other than personal enrichment?
I have mixed feelings about these...and in the end I decided against it.

Problem is that you have an increased workload and therefore an increased likelihood of doing poorly in the course. Are you better of with a C- in an honors course or a B+ in a regular course. That's the question i decided to answer. I just don't think an "honors" program at the lower college level offers that much to the student.

At the CC I attended, and later sent my daughter to, any student can join the Honor Society (Phi Theta Kappa). You don't have to take any honors classes to qualify, just make great grades in regular courses. This qualifies you to receive academic honors on your diploma and allows access to a surprisingly large stream of merit scholarship money. Scholarship Opportunities | Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society My daughter had several full ride opportunities as a result and her three pre-admission courses at HES were covered. It worked out very well.

What are you hoping to accomplish with a CC Honors course load? The Ivies tend to frown on transfers anyway so its not likely to help there. The better state schools will take you regardless based usually on articulation agreements. Find out if it REALLY matters for you to make the best decision possible.

Now with all that said....consider if the honors program offers a richer and more fulfilling course of study. Will studying under the honors faculty be good for you? Will you grow as a result? Will it open doors otherwise closed...if so, go for it.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
My personal vote is to go for it. It has the potential to open doors or at least be another point of note on your resume, but worst case is that it will do nothing. It certainly can't hurt you. While it may be a bit of extra work, consider it a short-term time investment for something that may eventually reap decent rewards.

TESC has an honors society chapter but entrance does not require additional work; it's based on GPA and credit source types, and qualification is not determined until after all degree requirements are complete and a graduation application is sent. I have not benefited yet, but I have not applied to grad school (dragging my feet, but it's on the horizon) or sought other jobs.

What's the worst that could happen? Then weigh that answer against the potential positives, such as a bump for grad school application, a bit of financial help paying hefty grad school tuition, and an eye-catcher for future employment opportunities. Seems like an easy choice to me.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
I think I misread your OP. I somehow got the idea it was a CC....disregard that. But the premise still applies. The worst that could happen is you bomb a course in part due to the increased workload. I still think GPA and "honors" designation trumps taking individual honors courses....but it depends how they designate honors I guess.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,334 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 702 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 925 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,530 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 534 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 893 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,825 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 725 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,104 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  College Tour Alpha 0 579 12-16-2021, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha