Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Columbia College or National University
Im a former marine and remember these two colleges having a large presence on military bases in California.

Columbia College or National University

Now that im out im having a hard time deciding between these two schools.

Can anyone shed any light on these two schools?

So far Columbia seems to be rated higher and have lower tuition however they accept less CLEP credit by a large margin as compared to National which accepts 67.5 units and appears to let you test out of all your GE.

Thanks
Dave Wilson
I think Columbia is Na and National is RA , you will get more mileage from a R/A degree than a N/A degree..IMO
CCAF-AS Logistics Management
CCAF-AS Bio-Environmental Science
Cerro Coso Community College-AS Administration of Justice
Excelsior College-BS Criminal Justice-2008
TESC-BA Liberal Studies-2009
2 Different Bachelor Degrees completed in under 2 years!
Columbia College in Missouri is regionally accredited. It is popular w/military. I looked into them, they were good to deal with and they have good programs but they had a 39 credit Upper Level req't, that made my decision to Excelsior easy + it was even cheaper. Still, if your talking about Columbia College in Missouri, they have online classes as well. That is a highly regarded school, they work well w/military and they are a good fit depending on what you are looking for.
I believe I was thinking about Columbia Southern, which is a N/A School.
I would not say that the other school listed would give you more "mileage" than Columbia College.

If that Columbia College is the one that is in Missouri, I believe it is based in Columbia, Missouri.

I live here. I have personally attended (both online and on campus), my daughter currently attends, and a friend of mine has a sister that just got a very very very good scholarship for Dartmouth Medical School. She is currently attending Dartmouth as of last fall.

She did the nursing program here at Columbia College. My daughter is aiming for Baylor Medical School and she has many friends who are also aiming for top schools in forensics, pathology and med. schools. Of course, they offer many other degree's as well.

I know they have a very big online campus. They are very well known and you will get great "mileage" with any bachelors from that school. Especially if you plan to continue on after your bachelors.

Hope that helps!

Good Luck!
National University is pretty good, they are really big out in San Diego and highly regarded by the Law Enforcement and Military Community here in Southern Cal.

Overall a decent school.
brain122 Wrote:I would not say that the other school listed would give you more "mileage" than Columbia College.

If that Columbia College is the one that is in Missouri, I believe it is based in Columbia, Missouri.

I live here. I have personally attended (both online and on campus), my daughter currently attends, and a friend of mine has a sister that just got a very very very good scholarship for Dartmouth Medical School. She is currently attending Dartmouth as of last fall.

She did the nursing program here at Columbia College. My daughter is aiming for Baylor Medical School and she has many friends who are also aiming for top schools in forensics, pathology and med. schools. Of course, they offer many other degree's as well.

I know they have a very big online campus. They are very well known and you will get great "mileage" with any bachelors from that school. Especially if you plan to continue on after your bachelors.

Hope that helps!

Good Luck!

That's a raging endorsement. Thanks for the information, I'll have to look into Columbia College.
Their clep, dsst, or any other nontraditional credit is 60 credits.
However, the good news is they accept CEU credits and some other things.

You might try a search on their website under "nontraditional credit". also, make a phone call to them and ask for evaluations departments for any specific questions on CEU's. We are currently working on that issue with them, but it will be a few months before we really try to do anything.

Another pointer, if you earn an AA from any other RA school you will not have to meet their Gen. Ed. criteria..

That's what we are working on right now and it will save us about fifteen to eighteen hours of gen. ed that won't have to be taken.

Online course and at a reasonable price is MACC (moberly area community college).

Might think about the AA before applying as a "student". In the meantime, just keep collecting your credits. BTW, you can take courses through Columbia College as a visiting student or nondegree seeking.

Good Luck!
Try checking out Excelsior. My two degrees from Excelsior have been a huge help with my career. So much that my wife got her degree and we are putting my son through.
B Smith

B.S. Business - Excelsior College
B.S. Elect. Engineering Technology - Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Louisville - Masters (Active Duty) bjcheung77 0 662 06-16-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information US Naval Community College Pilot MNomadic 2 1,653 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  National University Alpha 0 1,417 04-29-2021, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 26,464 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Digital University Alpha 0 1,035 03-22-2021, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Norwich University for EOD and Navy Divers ROYISAGIRL 0 1,040 03-02-2021, 09:01 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Indiana Wesleyan University ROYISAGIRL 0 1,341 08-22-2020, 04:30 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,904 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Anyone do the Naval War College MA in Security Studies? johnw 0 2,311 01-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Last Post: johnw
  Bellevue University? riderofdirt 4 3,649 11-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sagan