Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Communications
How does Villanova, SLU, Xavier (Cincy) compare against Georgetown in the communications and writing department? I’m looking at pursuing a career in communications/ Technical writing. I was admitted to all 4 of these schools for an online bachelors in General Studies but with a concentration in communications and writing. I’m online on the west coast so campus and location aren’t factors for me. Out of all these schools Georgetown has been the toughest with answering my questions. It’s also important that my program has some faith based theology in the curriculum from a Catholic/ Christian perspective. Georgetown’s program is the only one that doesn’t have a religion requirement and also seems to be a little too progressive for my taste. If anyone is familiar with the communications and writing at these schools please chime in. Thanks!
Seems like you're overanalyzing the choices, going back and forth over and over again with different schools. You mentioned on the 13th that you decided on Villanova and will be starting there in August, what's changed in the last 4 days?
[-] The following 1 user Likes RJ77's post:
  • ss20ts
(03-17-2024, 01:41 PM)RJ77 Wrote: Seems like you're overanalyzing the choices, going back and forth over and over again with different schools. You mentioned on the 13th that you decided on Villanova and will be starting there in August, what's changed in the last 4 days?
I have learned and discovered I have a great talent for writing and want to pursue the best communications/ writing Avenue I can get with my options. Georgetown doesn’t seem to shine in communications, they have other strengths that I will not be involved with academically so I feel I should cancel out that option. Villanova has a top 25 national communications program. I’m leaning between Villanova and Xavier. Gonna fill out FASFA for both and see which one comes out cheaper. I received grants from Xavier but none from Villanova before FASFA. Both programs are around the same price but I feel Villanova outshines Xavier in my interests overall.

(03-17-2024, 01:41 PM)RJ77 Wrote: Seems like you're overanalyzing the choices, going back and forth over and over again with different schools. You mentioned on the 13th that you decided on Villanova and will be starting there in August, what's changed in the last 4 days?
Also getting to take religion classes from a Catholic/ Christian perspective is also important to me. Georgetown being a Jesuit school doesn’t even require religion in my core which seems odd. It’s also a little too progressive for my taste. At Xavier and Villanova I’m required to take the same Theology classes that all undergrads take which is what I wanted as part of my education. I think Georgetown has a great core but only traditional main campus students get to take it. I can’t even take “Problem of God” which is what Georgetown is famous for that everyone has to take since the 1940’s. Why get a Georgetown degree when it’s a completely different education than what Georgetown is known for?
Honestly, I would just pick the best school for you regardless of religious elements and take a religion class later. There are a lot out there for free or cheap from Catholic sources. Unless you want your entire degree to be centered on religion, as at Liberty University (Baptist), choosing a degree based on a single elective class seems a bit strange.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(03-17-2024, 03:37 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Honestly, I would just pick the best school for you regardless of religious elements and take a religion class later. There are a lot out there for free or cheap from Catholic sources. Unless you want your entire degree to be centered on religion, as at Liberty University (Baptist), choosing a degree based on a single elective class seems a bit strange.
Villanova is the best program for me. Also has much better communications programs, more degrees to pick from, more focus on undergraduates at the adult level. Better structured program, better advising, better overall core curriculum. Better flexibility to create exactly what I want. The core requirements at Villanova satisfies my learning itches and allows me to focus more on major classes and use more electives around my major as well. Also Villanova CPS is a higher rated school than Georgetown SCS overall with higher admission standards. You have to have at least a 3.0 to get into a bachelors program there. SCS you need a 2.0 for a bachelors. Also Georgetown advising is through coursera in Californian and not done through Georgetown directly. I find that odd and makes sense as to why they have awful administration and advising reviews. Villanova is also higher rated than all the other programs I applied to as well besides Georgetown. Despite Villanova’s higher cost, it just makes sense ?‍♂️
Great stuff, sometimes it's hard to decide on what would be the best route for yourself... It's good you have options and have decided on a specific path!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
More leeway to make precisely what I envision. My academic needs are met by Villanova's core requirements, which free me up to concentrate on my degree and take more electives that complement it. The admissions standards at Villanova CPS are higher than those at Georgetown SCS, and the school is generally better regarded. To enroll in the bachelor's degree program, you need a minimum GPA of 3.0. A bachelor's degree requires a 2.0 GPA in SCS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone Ever Taken Managerial Communications TECEP? SmokeEm 8 1,744 01-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Drexel University - Certificate in Business Communications ($299 online) nomaduser 0 712 08-01-2020, 08:31 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Marketing Communications TECEP bringit 4 2,332 05-16-2019, 08:20 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  Degree plan for Communications? Starlightlily 6 1,927 09-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English/Communications BSBRose21 6 1,561 07-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Marketing Communications TECEP Ideas 4 2,135 05-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  TESU Communications degree SDO 2 1,452 12-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Last Post: SDO
  Communications degree? jb111 3 1,135 01-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Straighterline Intro to Communications Review embitca 0 2,048 09-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Last Post: embitca
  Intercultural Communications / Cultural Diversity ideas?? Mamasaphire 5 954 09-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Mamasaphire