Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparative analysis of Study.Com & Straighterline
Study.com has an app. If you've never tried it, you probably don't realize what an advantage that is but that alone is the reason to do Study.com

Study.com has more courses to choose from, and I personally find the layout to be easier to use. I do not like that Straighterline has you log into a 3rd party site to read the books and that it logs you out sometimes, that's super annoying

I took American History 2 from both SL and Study.com and SL's version is a joke. It had more questions on the final about Harlem poets of the 1920's than it did about WW1

I have several classes on SL that I paid for there already but that I took or will take on Study.com instead. I would take anything you could take on Study.com there, although some of the labs and stuff might be better to take on SL
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(09-14-2018, 08:39 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Study.com has an app. If you've never tried it, you probably don't realize what an advantage that is but that alone is the reason to do Study.com

Study.com has more courses to choose from, and I personally find the layout to be easier to use. I do not like that Straighterline has you log into a 3rd party site to read the books and that it logs you out sometimes, that's super annoying

I took American History 2 from both SL and Study.com and SL's version is a joke. It had more questions on the final about Harlem poets of the 1920's than it did about WW1

I have several classes on SL that I paid for there already but that I took or will take on Study.com instead. I would take anything you could take on Study.com there, although some of the labs and stuff might be better to take on SL

Thank you. Offers a lot of clarity.
my pleasure
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

We have used SL a lot in our home- with 3 of my sons starting back in 2011 and that was because we were DIYing a dual enrollment program at home - at the time it wasn't an option (it is now) and I wanted my sons to start earning college credit in high school. The initial reason we started with SL was that Study wasn't a thing when we began. I remember when SL launched, and for all their issues, at the time it was UNPRECEDENTED. At the time, the only other online course provider was ALEKS. We used ALEKS a lot initially too.
Over the past 2 or 3 years, 2 of my sons have done a ton of courses with SL (about 25 each) because there were a few codes that made the courses next to nothing for the cost. I bought DOZENS using a code, and they are still working through the courses I bought during that sale. We'll stick it out until they finish which should be before the end of the year. At that time, we'll switch to Studycom because they'll need UL courses, and that's not an option with SL.

We haven't used Studycom yet, so speaking really just from what I know about SL, here are a few pros/cons:
SL has written partnerships with over 100 colleges- this opens up possibilities beyond the big 3 in a way that is guaranteed.
SL participates (beta) in the financial aid program at 2 colleges- so for some this means no out of pocket cost.
SL stopped charging for textbooks and now integrates an ebook in every course
SL has no upper level (unless a college on their own assigns UL) while Studycom has a ton
SL doesn't add new courses - maybe only added one or two in the past few years- HUGE disadvantage when you look at Studycom's new catalog!
SL has lab sciences
SL courses are worth letter grades at Charter Oak (if you want- you can opt for pass/fail)
SL's website is slow
SL's learning video script is different than the audio being read- as in 100% different. VERY HARD to learn from them imo
SL finals are usually only 30% of your grade, and you don't have to pass the final to pass the course
SL allows open book tests
SL allows as many attempts as you want for the 1st test in every course
SL's English composition graders are a nightmare - inconsistently apply the rubric and can be very slow - also too much writing imo
(09-15-2018, 05:29 PM)cookderosa Wrote: We have used SL a lot in our home- with 3 of my sons starting back in 2011 and that was because we were DIYing a dual enrollment program at home - at the time it wasn't an option (it is now) and I wanted my sons to start earning college credit in high school.  The initial reason we started with SL was that Study wasn't a thing when we began.  I remember when SL launched, and for all their issues, at the time it was UNPRECEDENTED.  At the time, the only other online course provider was ALEKS.  We used ALEKS a lot initially too.
Over the past 2 or 3 years, 2 of my sons have done a ton of courses with SL (about 25 each) because there were a few codes that made the courses next to nothing for the cost.  I bought DOZENS using a code, and they are still working through the courses I bought during that sale.  We'll stick it out until they finish which should be before the end of the year.  At that time, we'll switch to Studycom because they'll need UL courses, and that's not an option with SL.

We haven't used Studycom yet, so speaking really just from what I know about SL, here are a few pros/cons:
SL has written partnerships with over 100 colleges- this opens up possibilities beyond the big 3 in a way that is guaranteed.
SL participates (beta) in the financial aid program at 2 colleges- so for some this means no out of pocket cost.
SL stopped charging for textbooks and now integrates an ebook in every course
SL has no upper level (unless a college on their own assigns UL) while Studycom has a ton
SL doesn't add new courses - maybe only added one or two in the past few years- HUGE disadvantage when you look at Studycom's new catalog!
SL has lab sciences
SL courses are worth letter grades at Charter Oak (if you want- you can opt for pass/fail)
SL's website is slow
SL's learning video script is different than the audio being read- as in 100% different.  VERY HARD to learn from them imo
SL finals are usually only 30% of your grade, and you don't have to pass the final to pass the course
SL allows open book tests
SL allows as many attempts as you want for the 1st test in every course
SL's English composition graders are a nightmare - inconsistently apply the rubric and can be very slow - also too much writing imo

In addition there are a few courses that SL offers that come in two completely different versions, and an unsavvy user may sign up for the 'provider' format they don't prefer.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-15-2018, 05:29 PM)cookderosa Wrote: SL's English composition graders are a nightmare - inconsistently apply the rubric and can be very slow - also too much writing imo

I agree that they ask for too much writing in both courses. However, I don't necessarily agree with the comment on graders. It depends on which version of the composition courses you take.

The teacher who runs the teacher-led versions is fantastic, approachable, and grades properly per the rubric. She will even assist with things like narrowing thesis topics and pre-submission concerns if you need the extra help, just like a regular college instructor should. It does cost a bit extra for this service though.

If you use the non-teacher led version, then yes I agree with this completely. Then again, the graders at Study.com are only slightly better. IMO they follow the rubric but are inconsistent with their comments, which sometimes conflict with the material presented in the courses.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Apart from the two tests that are included in SDC's College Accelerator package, if I chose to finish a 3rd test, what is the cost? Is it allowed?
Also, does SDC offer a discount coupon only once. I got a referral coupon from some member here and got 40$ off. But when I renew the package again next month, are there discounts?
(09-23-2018, 06:47 AM)Supermind Wrote: Apart from the two tests that are included in SDC's College Accelerator package, if I chose to finish a 3rd test, what is the cost? Is it allowed?
Also, does SDC offer a discount coupon only once. I got a referral coupon from some member here and got 40$ off. But when I renew the package again next month, are there discounts?

If you're on a standard college accelerator plan then each extra exam after the two free per month will cost $70 USD.

As far as I know, most discount coupons just reduce the cost of the first month. After that, the subscription renews at the prevailing rate ($199 per month).
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Thank you Merlin. I read somewhere on this forum about a recurring discount of 40$/month for 3 months. Wanted to know if such an option exists and if so, how to avail of it? Is it just by lucky draw that SDC sends a special gift coupon?
(09-23-2018, 07:08 AM)Supermind Wrote: Thank you Merlin. I read somewhere on this forum about a recurring discount of 40$/month for 3 months. Wanted to know if such an option exists and if so, how to avail of it? Is it just by lucky draw that SDC sends a special gift coupon?

The only active discounts that I know of are the coupons that provide a discount off the first month. I've heard that there are some extended free trials as well, but those don't allow test taking.

As far as I know, the only recurring discounts that are still available are institutional discounts via business partners. Like if the company you work for is a Study.com partner and they offer their employees a discount rate.

Study.com used to offer discounts and coupons for longer term subscriptions, but as far I know, they are no longer offered.

Up until a few months ago, the homeschool buyers coop offered a group-buy Study.com discount via their institutional plan, but I guess they filled their quota on that since it's closed now.

You can always try reaching out to Study.com directly and ask about multi-month discounts. They may still offer the plans but not advertise them on the website or something.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 462,697 2 hours ago
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 520 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 229 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 305 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 258 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 939 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,765 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 66 38,886 02-01-2024, 03:56 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 532 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 359 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM