Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparative analysis of Study.Com & Straighterline
Study.com has an app. If you've never tried it, you probably don't realize what an advantage that is but that alone is the reason to do Study.com

Study.com has more courses to choose from, and I personally find the layout to be easier to use. I do not like that Straighterline has you log into a 3rd party site to read the books and that it logs you out sometimes, that's super annoying

I took American History 2 from both SL and Study.com and SL's version is a joke. It had more questions on the final about Harlem poets of the 1920's than it did about WW1

I have several classes on SL that I paid for there already but that I took or will take on Study.com instead. I would take anything you could take on Study.com there, although some of the labs and stuff might be better to take on SL
(09-14-2018, 08:39 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Study.com has an app. If you've never tried it, you probably don't realize what an advantage that is but that alone is the reason to do Study.com

Study.com has more courses to choose from, and I personally find the layout to be easier to use. I do not like that Straighterline has you log into a 3rd party site to read the books and that it logs you out sometimes, that's super annoying

I took American History 2 from both SL and Study.com and SL's version is a joke. It had more questions on the final about Harlem poets of the 1920's than it did about WW1

I have several classes on SL that I paid for there already but that I took or will take on Study.com instead. I would take anything you could take on Study.com there, although some of the labs and stuff might be better to take on SL

Thank you. Offers a lot of clarity.
my pleasure
We have used SL a lot in our home- with 3 of my sons starting back in 2011 and that was because we were DIYing a dual enrollment program at home - at the time it wasn't an option (it is now) and I wanted my sons to start earning college credit in high school. The initial reason we started with SL was that Study wasn't a thing when we began. I remember when SL launched, and for all their issues, at the time it was UNPRECEDENTED. At the time, the only other online course provider was ALEKS. We used ALEKS a lot initially too.
Over the past 2 or 3 years, 2 of my sons have done a ton of courses with SL (about 25 each) because there were a few codes that made the courses next to nothing for the cost. I bought DOZENS using a code, and they are still working through the courses I bought during that sale. We'll stick it out until they finish which should be before the end of the year. At that time, we'll switch to Studycom because they'll need UL courses, and that's not an option with SL.

We haven't used Studycom yet, so speaking really just from what I know about SL, here are a few pros/cons:
SL has written partnerships with over 100 colleges- this opens up possibilities beyond the big 3 in a way that is guaranteed.
SL participates (beta) in the financial aid program at 2 colleges- so for some this means no out of pocket cost.
SL stopped charging for textbooks and now integrates an ebook in every course
SL has no upper level (unless a college on their own assigns UL) while Studycom has a ton
SL doesn't add new courses - maybe only added one or two in the past few years- HUGE disadvantage when you look at Studycom's new catalog!
SL has lab sciences
SL courses are worth letter grades at Charter Oak (if you want- you can opt for pass/fail)
SL's website is slow
SL's learning video script is different than the audio being read- as in 100% different. VERY HARD to learn from them imo
SL finals are usually only 30% of your grade, and you don't have to pass the final to pass the course
SL allows open book tests
SL allows as many attempts as you want for the 1st test in every course
SL's English composition graders are a nightmare - inconsistently apply the rubric and can be very slow - also too much writing imo
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
Homeschooling for College Credit (book)
(09-15-2018, 05:29 PM)cookderosa Wrote: We have used SL a lot in our home- with 3 of my sons starting back in 2011 and that was because we were DIYing a dual enrollment program at home - at the time it wasn't an option (it is now) and I wanted my sons to start earning college credit in high school.  The initial reason we started with SL was that Study wasn't a thing when we began.  I remember when SL launched, and for all their issues, at the time it was UNPRECEDENTED.  At the time, the only other online course provider was ALEKS.  We used ALEKS a lot initially too.
Over the past 2 or 3 years, 2 of my sons have done a ton of courses with SL (about 25 each) because there were a few codes that made the courses next to nothing for the cost.  I bought DOZENS using a code, and they are still working through the courses I bought during that sale.  We'll stick it out until they finish which should be before the end of the year.  At that time, we'll switch to Studycom because they'll need UL courses, and that's not an option with SL.

We haven't used Studycom yet, so speaking really just from what I know about SL, here are a few pros/cons:
SL has written partnerships with over 100 colleges- this opens up possibilities beyond the big 3 in a way that is guaranteed.
SL participates (beta) in the financial aid program at 2 colleges- so for some this means no out of pocket cost.
SL stopped charging for textbooks and now integrates an ebook in every course
SL has no upper level (unless a college on their own assigns UL) while Studycom has a ton
SL doesn't add new courses - maybe only added one or two in the past few years- HUGE disadvantage when you look at Studycom's new catalog!
SL has lab sciences
SL courses are worth letter grades at Charter Oak (if you want- you can opt for pass/fail)
SL's website is slow
SL's learning video script is different than the audio being read- as in 100% different.  VERY HARD to learn from them imo
SL finals are usually only 30% of your grade, and you don't have to pass the final to pass the course
SL allows open book tests
SL allows as many attempts as you want for the 1st test in every course
SL's English composition graders are a nightmare - inconsistently apply the rubric and can be very slow - also too much writing imo

In addition there are a few courses that SL offers that come in two completely different versions, and an unsavvy user may sign up for the 'provider' format they don't prefer.
Working on @ TESU - Expected Completion Summer 2018, planning for end of year Graduation
     BSBA General Management
     ASNSM in Computer Science (came in with all the CS credits for this, so added it on - no capstone required)
(09-15-2018, 05:29 PM)cookderosa Wrote: SL's English composition graders are a nightmare - inconsistently apply the rubric and can be very slow - also too much writing imo

I agree that they ask for too much writing in both courses. However, I don't necessarily agree with the comment on graders. It depends on which version of the composition courses you take.

The teacher who runs the teacher-led versions is fantastic, approachable, and grades properly per the rubric. She will even assist with things like narrowing thesis topics and pre-submission concerns if you need the extra help, just like a regular college instructor should. It does cost a bit extra for this service though.

If you use the non-teacher led version, then yes I agree with this completely. Then again, the graders at Study.com are only slightly better. IMO they follow the rubric but are inconsistent with their comments, which sometimes conflict with the material presented in the courses.
Goal: BSBA-CIS and ASNSM-CS from TESU by March 2019. (May add BSBA-HR/OM AOS if I end up bumping to June.)

PROGRESS SO FAR (97.66 Cr):
  • B&M CC: American Govt & Inst, Intro to Computing, Intro Astronomy w/Lab [quarter-units]
  • CLEP/DSST: Info Systems (80), A&I Literature (76), Principles of Marketing (75), Management Info Systems (467)
  • ALEKS: College Algebra, Trigonometry, Intro Statistics
  • The Institutes: Ethics 312
  • Sophia.org: Developing Effective Teams, Essentials of Managing Conflict
  • StraighterLine: English Comp I, C++ Programming, Cultural Anthropology, Principles of Management, Intro to Religion, Business Law
  • Study.com: Personal Finance, Presentation Skills, Information Literacy, International Business, Micro & Macroeconomics, Intro Psychology, Human Growth & Development, Social Psychology, Intro Sociology, College Comp II, Business Comm, Principles of Finance (in progress)
  • TEEX: Cybersecurity 101/201/301

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StraighterLine Question acamp 4 77 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  StraighterLine Membership Promo Code: 9SL50P bjcheung77 0 72 Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Straighterline - What to do about a fail? Cheeseburrito 8 1,248 09-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Wanted: Study.com Coupon or Referral Code Lewis.Yim 31 2,012 09-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Last Post: SDO
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 86 22,638 09-15-2018, 03:42 PM
Last Post: mudball
  Study.com vs. Saylor Jenna.C 10 294 09-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Wish I hadn't given Straighterline my money katelynn 40 1,755 09-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Study.com Referral Code or ways to save money using SDC? Jenna.C 5 147 09-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Study.com Grading Question MrBossmanJr 24 618 09-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Last Post: zzzz24
  HELP! StraighterLine Business Communications Downgraded Lewis.Yim 3 172 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: peacel