Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Competency-Based EdD at South College
This is a self-paced doctoral program consisting of 10 courses, including a dissertation. There are four specializations available. Most students finish within three years, but some have finished in two years. Tuition is charged at a flat rate by 6-month term. I couldn't find the tuition rate, and there isn't a catalog entry for this program yet. But, the second link below may give you an idea of how much they might charge. I filled out the online form to request more information. 

Doctor of Education (south.edu)

21Tuition-Revised-November-2020-Revised-June-2021_Online.pdf (south.edu)

They have a first responder grant, but it cannot be combined with the military grant within the same term.

Provide proof of current employment or retirement from service as a first responder, including police officer, detective, deputy sheriff, state trooper, highway patrol officer, investigator, inspector, correctional officer, parole or probation officer, park ranger, fire fighter, paramedic, or emergency medical technician.

Award per term:

Full-time
$1,000

Half-time
$500

Less than half-time
$250

https://www.south.edu/admissions/financi...der-grant/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 6 users Like sanantone's post:
  • DeanLewis, harrypotter, jsd, sks972, sofinel, WALLACEMC11
I confirmed with the program coordinator, who designed the program, that this is a REAL competency-based program. He used to work for WGU and modeled the doctorate off of the WGU format. Tuition is $6,000 per 6-month term. He predicts that most students will finish in 1.5 - 2 years. Each course is nine quarter hours. The last course is the dissertation course. Students can only use existing data for their dissertation. Each student is assigned a mentor who is also their instructor and assignment grader.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 8 users Like sanantone's post:
  • allvia, DeanLewis, GoodYellowDogs, jch, jsd, sks972, sofinel, ss20ts
Hmm... 4 x 6=24 grand, not bad for a EdD, wow... That's a pretty sweet deal for those who want to be in the Educational sector/vertical...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
Of note and per discussion with a key person at the school, a pass is an A on the transcript (mastery based approach, not simply competency-based). Transcripts aren't just pass/fail like WGU.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sks972's post:
  • ss20ts
I asked for more information on this! Thank you!

More competition in this field the better! This is the second EdD CBE I've seen now!
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
Quote:EdD Program Acknowledgement:

For the Doctor of Education (EdD) program, each enrollment period is 6 months in length. Students will be enrolled into each 6-month subscription-based term and assigned two initial courses which are prescribed in a sequential order by the program design. Once both initial courses are successfully completed in that term, the student will then be enrolled into another course. Upon completion of each additional course, the student will be enrolled into one additional course until the 6-month term has concluded. For a student to remain in good academic standing, the student must successfully complete one course per 6-month term by demonstrating mastery of the competencies of the course. Each course in the EdD program is built upon industry standards, skills, and knowledge which students must demonstrate their mastery of each competency through a variety of assessments. Mastery of a program competency is defined by assessment rubrics in which the student can have no more than 2 aspects lower than “mastery” on the rubric. If mastery is not obtained in specific aspects, the student will have additional attempts to demonstrate their mastery based on faculty evaluation and feedback.

To maintain eligibility for federal financial aid, students must complete no less than one course per 6 month term. Full-time status for a 6 month subscription payment period requires that a student be enrolled in and complete no less than two courses (18 hours). Half-time status for financial aid purposes requires that students be enrolled in and complete no less than one course (9 hours) per 6 month subscription payment period.

This program is not designed to lead to licensure or certification. Anyone interested in seeking acknowledgement of the degree in his/her school system or by their home state’s Department of Education for applicable requirements such as compensation increases, should contact the appropriate organization before beginning the program. Students are responsible for determining whether the South College program will meet their home states’ requirements for any such acknowledgement.
Some pretty useful info.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • jch, Messdiener
I like this. I applied.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, WALLACEMC11
(09-29-2021, 02:40 PM)ashkir Wrote: I like this. I applied.
Good for you. If you end up enrolling, good luck and I hope you keep us updated!
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(09-29-2021, 02:54 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 02:40 PM)ashkir Wrote: I like this. I applied.
Good for you. If you end up enrolling, good luck and I hope you keep us updated!

Thank you! I was really leaning towards Capella because of their tuition cap and new true CBE. But, WGU has a good reputation and the doctor in charge is from WGU so it seems like ag reat step for me.
Awesome! Good luck, if you get into the program, keep us updated on how their CBE is like...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South College DBA cc95 6 141 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Comptency based Doctor of Science program Randomkud1234 5 295 04-20-2024, 05:06 PM
  Edgewood College/UpGrad DBA; potentially $11,250 freeloader 77 8,817 04-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: lidel
  South College announces competency-based DBA jsd 112 17,078 04-08-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: walruspanda
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 12 891 04-06-2024, 08:20 AM
Last Post: walruspanda
Photo Mexico San Miguel PhD and Poland Jagiellonian College DBA NOT WES! Jack Ma 37 4,779 02-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  New Video from South College about CBE Doctorates NotJoeBiden 0 314 02-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Cost of South College DBA program? EducationSeeker 16 2,845 08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
  South College - EdD Program jb0433 19 4,286 03-01-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: cc95
  South College DBA Invitian Code? maxxor6868 0 579 02-06-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868