Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Competency-Based EdD at South College
Thanks! I'm excited to see what his involves.
I found out a plethora of new information. I wish I can make attachments to replies, but this MyBB forum is broken and is in need of some maintenance. 
  • The courses are designed based upon competency style work, inspired by Western Governors University.
  • Most of the faculty and employees behind this were at Western Governors University, including the head designer (that OP mentioned)
  • There are anywhere from 5 to 8 assessments per course. 
  • Perspective is more of a practitioner designed course.
  • There's not really any "discussion posts". It's more of assignments like matrixes, SWOTs, analysis, etc. 
  • The assessments are designed to match real world scenarios.
  • The assessments are designed to be based on the real world practioner. 
  • There are no proctors for any assessments or exams. 
  • You must MASTER (aka get an A) in order to proceed. A B+ is "Failing" at the doctorate level. 
  • If you do not MASTER the assessment you can keep retaking it until you MASTER it. 
  • 1:1 student to faculty ratio. 
  • No group assignments.
  • Dissertation is existing data, skipping IRB processes. 
  • No qualitive work needed.
  • Focuses more on problem solving.
  • Designed for the working adult in mind to finish in 18-24 months. 
[-] The following 3 users Like ashkir's post:
  • jch, rbrtpgdmn@gmail.com, ss20ts
That program sounds pretty darn interesting. I think the biggest question will be what they expect for the assessments—how many pages, slides, etc.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(09-30-2021, 06:15 PM)freeloader Wrote: That program sounds pretty darn interesting. I think the biggest question will be what they expect for the assessments—how many pages, slides, etc.

I was told it's a mix from analysis, essays, to SWOT analysis, communication plans, etc.
(09-30-2021, 07:51 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(09-30-2021, 06:15 PM)freeloader Wrote: That program sounds pretty darn interesting. I think the biggest question will be what they expect for the assessments—how many pages, slides, etc.

I was told it's a mix from analysis, essays, to SWOT analysis, communication plans, etc.
Sure, I saw that if your other post.  Honestly, I was kind of thinking of your UMPI MAOL experience when I posted my comment. If these assignments are on the shorter side, this could be an awesome program to accelerate through. If each of those 5-8 assignments per class are going to require 30-40 pages of writing each and if you are going to have to go through a process of revisions to earn that A, maybe not so much….
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • ashkir
(09-30-2021, 09:36 PM)freeloader Wrote:

Sure, I saw that if your other post.  Honestly, I was kind of thinking of your UMPI MAOL experience when I posted my comment. If these assignments are on the shorter side, this could be an awesome program to accelerate through. If each of those 5-8 assignments per class are going to require 30-40 pages of writing each and if you are going to have to go through a process of revisions to earn that A, maybe not so much….
I'm not a fan of risking money to be honest. But, I feel like... It is worth the shot. I'll commit to one semester in full gear and we can see how I do. I can definitely report back on DegreeForum with how I'm doing if people are interested. If I am satisfied with my progress in my first six months and don't feel like... I did in the MAOL I'll go through all the way.

Except for the dissertation I know those are going to be soul crushing lol
[-] The following 5 users Like ashkir's post:
  • DeanLewis, jch, Novo, sanantone, sks972
(10-01-2021, 01:11 AM)ashkir Wrote:

I'm not a fan of risking money to be honest. But, I feel like... It is worth the shot. I'll commit to one semester in full gear and we can see how I do. I can definitely report back on DegreeForum with how I'm doing if people are interested. If I am satisfied with my progress in my first six months and don't feel like... I did in the MAOL I'll go through all the way.

I enrolled.  I'm retired, so I can make this my "full time" thing and see how it goes.
[-] The following 6 users Like sks972's post:
  • ashkir, DeanLewis, GoodYellowDogs, Novo, sanantone, sofinel
(10-01-2021, 10:07 AM)sks972 Wrote:

I enrolled.  I'm retired, so I can make this my "full time" thing and see how it goes.
Awesome! ARe you starting in October or January?
(10-01-2021, 02:07 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 10:07 AM)sks972 Wrote:
(09-30-2021, 07:51 PM)ashkir Wrote: I was told it's a mix from analysis, essays, to SWOT analysis, communication plans, etc.

Awesome! ARe you starting in October or January?

Next week!
[-] The following 1 user Likes sks972's post:
  • ashkir
(10-01-2021, 05:47 PM)sks972 Wrote: Next week!

Hello sks972, May I ask how many transferred credits are allowed for this program? Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Comptency based Doctor of Science program Randomkud1234 1 38 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Edgewood College/UpGrad DBA; potentially $11,250 freeloader 77 8,625 04-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: lidel
  South College announces competency-based DBA jsd 112 16,951 04-08-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: walruspanda
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 12 843 04-06-2024, 08:20 AM
Last Post: walruspanda
Photo Mexico San Miguel PhD and Poland Jagiellonian College DBA NOT WES! Jack Ma 37 4,715 02-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  New Video from South College about CBE Doctorates NotJoeBiden 0 301 02-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Cost of South College DBA program? EducationSeeker 16 2,808 08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
  South College - EdD Program jb0433 19 4,257 03-01-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: cc95
  South College DBA Invitian Code? maxxor6868 0 572 02-06-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  South College - DBA him22 2 1,151 02-03-2023, 12:56 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868