Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competency based BA/BS psychology?
If you're starting off, I would take a few courses from Sophia.org and then InstantCertCredit for lower level credit, for upper level credit, Study.com is the best. Since you don't know exactly what you need to get, you may want to complete a few courses that will go into the Big 3 & UMPI. I would take a few from this wiki link that will transfer to them: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List & research all the degrees/plans available for the Big 3 & UMPI at the same time. You need to decide on the degree/school, hopefully before you hit 15, 30, 45 or whatever number of credits you're aiming for before you apply...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'm not actually sure that the German CLEP will work at UMPI. Here's the CLEP equivalency chart that I found: https://mycampus.maine.edu/c/document_li...pId=223854
Note: this is the general UMPI chart, I couldn't find one for the online/yourpace programs. As with everything, the policies may be a bit different for the online programs.
From this chart, Spanish and French both match to specific credits. However, German is just a generic "foreign language elective". I'm not sure if that will meet the degree requirements.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(07-12-2021, 12:31 PM)jch Wrote: I'm not actually sure that the German CLEP will work at UMPI. Here's the CLEP equivalency chart that I found: https://mycampus.maine.edu/c/document_li...pId=223854
Note: this is the general UMPI chart, I couldn't find one for the online/yourpace programs. As with everything, the policies may be a bit different for the online programs.  
From this chart, Spanish and French both match to specific credits. However, German is just a generic "foreign language elective". I'm not sure if that will meet the degree requirements.

That's for the on campus students. YourPace has different policies. Even on campus students received 6 credits of foreign language from the German CLEP to fulfill the foreign language GEC requirement. YourPace will accept just about any language. It's not 6 credits of German because they don't offer German at UMPI.
Thanks for clarifying. Is there a separate CLEP equivalency chart for online/yourpace that I couldn't find?
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(07-12-2021, 12:56 PM)jch Wrote: Thanks for clarifying. Is there a separate CLEP equivalency chart for online/yourpace that I couldn't find?

No. If the CLEP's are accepted on campus then they're accepted in YourPace. People on here tend to look at the UMPI website when you should only look at the YourPace website. 

Students (enrolled students) who have questions should ask their advisor or YourPace admissions during the admissions process. Most of what's in MaineStreet does not apply to YourPace. YourPace accepts many ACE sources but not all and they don't accept every course from every provider. They have recently been evaluating a great deal of ACE courses and made many changes to how ACE courses transfer in. They maybe evaluating CLEP as well. There's no date on the document you shared from MaineStreet so I would double check on the CLEPs with YourPace admissions if you're interested in them.

I'm not sure why you thought they wouldn't accept German CLEP when it says they give 6 foreign language credits for the CLEP when a score of 50 or higher is earned. The French one looks odd because there's an oral exam from UMPI to get credit for French 2.
If you want a master's in Psych, it's certainly ok to get a BA in Psych, but not necessary at most schools.

If I were you, I'd probably think about a BLS at UMPI with just about any minor/concentration, and load up on Psych courses if you can; or a BA/BS in Psych at any of the Big 3; or a BA in Liberal Studies at any of the Big 3. COSC will be the cheapest, EC next, and TESU the most. Again, I'd probably take a lot of Psych courses.

I don't necessarily suggest a specific major outside of Psych, because I don't think they're very helpful. An Educational Studies or History or English major doesn't really translate to a Psych master's degree. And you spend a lot of time working on courses that won't help you in the master's, and don't get to take as many courses that WILL help you. That's why I'd do a Psych degree, or else a BALS/BSLS/BLS at any of the Big 3 or UMPI.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-12-2021, 12:36 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 12:31 PM)jch Wrote: I'm not actually sure that the German CLEP will work at UMPI. Here's the CLEP equivalency chart that I found: https://mycampus.maine.edu/c/document_li...pId=223854

That's for the on campus students. YourPace has different policies. Even on campus students received 6 credits of foreign language from the German CLEP to fulfill the foreign language GEC requirement. YourPace will accept just about any language. It's not 6 credits of German because they don't offer German at UMPI.
Still wishing the native American languages were on YourPAce.

But yeah, ss20ts has it right here they accept any foreign language if you have credit for it just transfer it in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 86 12,835 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bsnipedavis
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,951 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 504 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 935 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 15,501 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Anderson University - competency-based program NoStudentNoCry 4 1,286 09-05-2021, 09:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BS in Psychology jaceapollo 7 1,425 08-23-2021, 05:11 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Costs for Competency-Based Bachelor's Programs as of 7/25/2020 dfrecore 36 12,870 10-06-2020, 08:34 AM
  Bachelor competency based Teacherwannabe19 5 1,403 08-13-2020, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  University of Mary Hardin Baylor - Very Flexible Competency-Based Program sanantone 6 2,657 03-11-2020, 01:47 PM