Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS in Psychology
Hello!

I've been lurking on the forum for a while, the info has been so helpful. I am currently enrolled at Excelsior for a BS in psychology. It fits my needs best, but I was also really interested in possibly switching to a competency program instead. I could only find Capella University for a BS in psychology. Are there any others for a bachelor's in psych? I couldn't find any, and Capella... I haven't heard great things. If anyone wants to chime in with their general experience with Capella that would be great too. I would possibly consider a degree similar to psychology, but it needs to be within the realm and it has to be a social science degree. (I'll be applying for a masters abroad, standards are very different, but the one requirements is that it has to be in the social sciences and I want to study educational psychology for my master's degree.)

Thanks!
I don't believe that there is any other competency-based Bachelor's in Psychology. There aren't that many schools that offer competency-based degrees in the first place. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jaceapollo
Where are you from? Which state? Which Master's are you looking at? Do you already have community college credits or alternative credits? How about commitments, such as work? If you have the energy/time, Competency Based Degrees are recommended, I usually suggest at the graduate level as that is my preference. My suggestion was to get a BLS at UMPI and ladder that into a MS Psychology at Walden, but since you're going abroad... that changes everything...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-23-2021, 02:28 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Where are you from? Which state?  Which Master's are you looking at?  Do you already have community college credits or alternative credits? How about commitments, such as work? If you have the energy/time, Competency Based Degrees are recommended, I usually suggest at the graduate level as that is my preference.  My suggestion was to get a BLS at UMPI and ladder that into a MS Psychology at Walden, but since you're going abroad... that changes everything...

I am a resident of MA, born in the US. I have done extensive research on international education so I know what I'm getting into on that front. I don't need to take the psychology GRE. I'm looking at several schools abroad, but the I'm most interested in is Tallinn University: https://www.tlu.ee/en/hti/educational-in...leadership
I do need to get a social sciences degree because schools in Germany are stricter, debating if I'll apply.

From Sophia I have:

Ancient Greek Philosophers 
Conflict Resolution
Developing Effective Teams
Environmental Science
IT Career Exploration
Introduction to Business
Introduction to Ethics
Introduction to Information Technology
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Sociology
Introduction to Statistics
Project Management
The Essentials of Managing Conflict

That's all I have so far is 33 credits from Sophia which I attained in 2 months.

I work remotely and have another in person job, but I have a good amount of time on my hands. I'll look into UMPI more, thank you. Hope this info helps.
I just looked at that link, Estonia! Eastern Europe is awesome, I would love to travel there sometime or another... The degree in question doesn't actually require anything but a Bachelors. I would go the UMPI BLS with Education Minor and apply to that program, if you need a Psychology degree, maybe a MS at Walden would do, but I would do that later...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jaceapollo
Purdue Global offers a competency-based bachelor's in criminal justice with a concentration in forensic psychology.

https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...eeplantext

The graduate program you linked to is neither psychology nor a social science. Where did you see that you need a bachelor's degree in a social science?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-23-2021, 03:01 PM)sanantone Wrote: Purdue Global offers a competency-based bachelor's in criminal justice with a concentration in forensic psychology.

The graduate program you linked to is neither psychology nor a social science. Where did you see that you need a bachelor's degree in a social science?

To clarify, I know that the one I'm interested in doesn't. But several ones in Germany like this one: https://www.tum.de/en/studies/degree-pro...cation-med

I might not apply to schools in Germany because they want you to list out your credits with grades. So the pass/fail courses I've done doesn't count. 

Thank you, I'll look into that.
(08-23-2021, 03:39 PM)jaceapollo Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 03:01 PM)sanantone Wrote: Purdue Global offers a competency-based bachelor's in criminal justice with a concentration in forensic psychology.

To clarify, I know that the one I'm interested in doesn't. But several ones in Germany like this one: https://www.tum.de/en/studies/degree-pro...cation-med

I might not apply to schools in Germany because they want you to list out your credits with grades. So the pass/fail courses I've done doesn't count. 

Thank you, I'll look into that.

This program looks like they'll accept a degree in education.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 838 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Competency based BA/BS psychology? Olivia4826 16 2,684 07-12-2021, 10:46 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Psychology classes syllabus for Excelsior? OR any of the big 3? LadySearchDog 0 791 05-15-2019, 10:03 PM
Last Post: LadySearchDog
  Is it Possible to Earn A Degree in Behavioral Psychology by Way Of Test-Out Method? 4dog 14 2,864 01-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Last Post: sanantone