Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competency based BA/BS psychology?
I've looked around the forum amd online for a competency based undergraduate degree in psychology, i was only able to find that there is a masters at Walden, and that UMPi has several competency based degrees but psychology unfortunately isn't one of them.

Does anyone know whether there is a competency based bachelor's in psychology?
Great question.
Following this one.

Sent from my NX591J using DegreeForum.net mobile app
Capella FlexPath; I have no idea if it's any good or not, or how quickly you can complete it though. You might be better off using one of the Big 3 for a Psych degree instead - totally doable.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hmm, interesting, would you really need a Bachelors in Psychology if you can get a Masters in Psychology without "a Bachelors in Psychology"? I mean, some people get a check the box degree and then jump into the Masters... Psychology is one of those degrees that have this option, as long as you have the prerequisites for entry. An example would be someone taking a Bachelors with a Social Science concentration or minor, they can get into to a CBE Masters in Psychology at Walden.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-11-2021, 12:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, interesting, would you really need a Bachelors in Psychology if you can get a Masters in Psychology without "a Bachelors in Psychology"?  I mean, some people get a check the box degree and then jump into the Masters... Psychology is one of those degrees that have this option, as long as you have the prerequisites for entry.  An example would be someone taking a Bachelors with a Social Science concentration or minor, they can get into to a CBE Masters in Psychology at Walden.
I wasn't aware that was a possibility. I'm fairly new to all of this, would you have any recommendations to which bachelor's degree would be the best to get, at a reasonable price and could be completed quickly?
For competency-based degrees of any type, UMPI would probably be the fastest/easiest/cheapest. Do you already have any credits or are you starting from scratch right now?

As for which degree at UMPI, that depends on what you find the most interesting. I would suggest either English or BLS with Educational Studies minor. Maybe BA Criminal Justice because CJ contains an element of psychology. "Best" depends on your exact interests. Lib Studies allows the most electives and could be completed the most easily.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-12-2021, 04:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For competency-based degrees of any type, UMPI would probably be the fastest/easiest/cheapest. Do you already have any credits or are you starting from scratch right now?

As for which degree at UMPI, that depends on what you find the most interesting. I would suggest either English or BLS with Educational Studies minor. Maybe BA Criminal Justice because CJ contains an element of psychology. "Best" depends on your exact interests. Lib Studies allows the most electives and could be completed the most easily.
I'm starting from scratch.

I'll have a look at what they offer. Thanks!
In that case, depending on exactly which degree you're going for, you'd want to complete a bunch of credits at Sophia, complete Biology 101L at Study.com, and do Spanish at InstantCert before applying to UMPI.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Do you know whether they take any other languages?

I speak German quite well, and I think I saw somewhere you can test out of it.
Oh, yes, I am pretty sure that they'll take the German CLEP if you can take that test (someone else mentioned them accepting credits for a language UMPI doesn't teach). I think they also accept the ACTFL, so that might be easier? It's just that Spanish is the easiest to find credit for, in general.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 86 12,848 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bsnipedavis
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,953 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 504 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 935 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 15,501 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Anderson University - competency-based program NoStudentNoCry 4 1,286 09-05-2021, 09:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BS in Psychology jaceapollo 7 1,427 08-23-2021, 05:11 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Costs for Competency-Based Bachelor's Programs as of 7/25/2020 dfrecore 36 12,881 10-06-2020, 08:34 AM
  Bachelor competency based Teacherwannabe19 5 1,403 08-13-2020, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  University of Mary Hardin Baylor - Very Flexible Competency-Based Program sanantone 6 2,657 03-11-2020, 01:47 PM