Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Completely Lost..Please Help!!
I would like to earn a bachelor's degree in psychology. I don't know where to begin and money is a definite obstacle. I am embarrassed to say I have no prior college credit. I need to obtain my degree within a reasonably quick amount of time. I have been reading all of these threads but I'm still confused on how to start. I live in New York state so I was thinking Excelsior may be better? How do I figure out which Gen Ed tests to take? Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you!!
Since Excelsior is not a public college that subsidizes in-state students, it doesn't make a difference. EC is the most expensive of the Big 3. Their psychology degree is not as test friendly as the others either. Do you need to use financial aid, or are you able to come up with about $5,000 over a one or two year period?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I have no prior credits either don't feel bad Smile Google "psychology degree plan degreeforum" . This is what I do because I feel I get better search results than using the search box on here

Also look on Excelsiors website or TESCS website and find the psychology major section
I think TESC is the only one that offers an in-state discount if you live in NJ. Depending on how many classes you want/need to take vs how many you are going to test out of the big 3 can vary on which is the best. check the degree forum Wiki some of the degree plans are a little out of date, but they can give you a good idea of what can be tested out of.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Because COSC is a public college, it offers in-state tuition to Connecticut students.

These are for TESC.

Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BA in Psychology - Degree Forum Wiki
Free Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:Because COSC is a public college, it offers in-state tuition to Connecticut students.

These are for TESC.

Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BA in Psychology - Degree Forum Wiki
Free Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki

Thank you! I've been doing searches of this board and just wanted to let you know how helpful all of your info is..thank you!! I have changed my plan..I think it would be best for me for job purposes and financially to get my Associates first then work towards my BA in Psychology. I was looking at your plan for the Associates in Arts from TESC and that looks like the easiest most affordable option for me right now. I'm just confused on one point - should I enroll and then start testing? Thanks for your advice!!
timetofly55 Wrote:Thank you! I've been doing searches of this board and just wanted to let you know how helpful all of your info is..thank you!! I have changed my plan..I think it would be best for me for job purposes and financially to get my Associates first then work towards my BA in Psychology. I was looking at your plan for the Associates in Arts from TESC and that looks like the easiest most affordable option for me right now. I'm just confused on one point - should I enroll and then start testing? Thanks for your advice!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for general AA, wouldn't Charter Oak be the cheapest and quickest option? You would only need to pay for the cornerstorne course and their low fees. For TESC, you would either have to pay the fee or do 12 TESC credits. Unless you're doing only TECEPs, which then I think TESC would be cheaper.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but for general AA, wouldn't Charter Oak be the cheapest and quickest option? You would only need to pay for the cornerstorne course and their low fees. For TESC, you would either have to pay the fee or do 12 TESC credits. Unless you're doing only TECEPs, which then I think TESC would be cheaper.

Oh boy...now I'm totally confused. I was looking at this post below but to be honest I'm a total newb and I'm not really sure I have a great grasp yet on all of this info.

This is just an example of how cheap an associates at TESC can be.
Thomas Edison State College: Associate in Arts

English Comp I: TECEP - $108
English Comp II: TECEP - $108
College-Level Math: ALEKS Intermediate Algebra - $20
Intellectual and Practical Skills: ALEKS College Algebra - $20 (could be $0 if you can complete more than one course in a month)
Intellectual and Practical Skills: Saylor Corporate Communication - $25
Humanities: TECEP - $108
Social Science: TECEP - $108
Natural Science: Saylor Intro to Computer Science - $25
General Education Elective: Introduction to Western Political Thought - $25
General Education Elective: 6-credit Humanities CLEP ~ $100
Diversity Global Literacy: CLEP or DSST ~ $100
Responsible Ethical Leadership: Ethics in America DSST ~ $100
Ethics or Diversity Elective: CLEP - $100
Gen Ed Elective: 6-credit CLEP Social Sciences and History - $100
Gen Ed Elective: 6-credit CLEP Natural Sciences - $100
Gen Ed Elective: 6-credit CLEP Biology - $100

Subtotal = $1247
Total with graduation fee = $1537
Nope, TESC's AA will be cheaper. Four TECEPs are only $444. COSC's cornerstone is 3 credits and over $300 per credit hour plus the $245 semester fee.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feeling a Bit Lost Creating a Degree Plan for a BS in Data Science & Analytics @ TESU zoetr33 9 2,214 02-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Can you completely test out of any BA degree at TESU? NolaRice 1 2,638 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question that got lost in another post tsimmns 5 844 08-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: jsd
  How to Completely Test Out of TESC Degrees sanantone 57 4,937 08-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Lost - Academic Eval Help for AA General Studies TESU ksedar2408 2 465 05-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to Completely Test Out of Excelsior College BSBA - General Business Degree Plan Toastmaster 13 3,008 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  So confused need help with TESC tests trying to completely test out. Fuse 8 1,439 07-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Any Big 3 degrees that can still be completely tested out of? SirTeacherGuy 27 2,006 06-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Can you completely test out of BSBA Marketing @ TESC? nerako 2 638 01-01-2013, 02:07 PM
  Cheapest/fastest Asocciate level Degree, Completely test out. Grasshopper 3 609 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM