Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science Degree Plan
Hi everyone!

It's my first post here. I'm very new to all this. My goal is to get a computer science degree. I have 20 years programming experience, but no college experience or credits. Because of my work, I don't think I'll be able to start in earnest until this summer. However, I'd like to work up a game plan.

I think my obvious choices are either WGU BS CS or TESU BA CS.

With WGU, my plan would be to finish in one semester (they charge by the semester). At TESU, I think I would want to transfer in the max credits so I only have to take one or two TESU classes. The TESU degree is a BA, so it should be much easier to find transferable credits for, right?

I've worked up a spreadsheet for the WGU BS CS program with possible credit options (see attachment). I don't think it's quite enough though. Are there any obvious things I'm missing?

How do I know which CLEP credits will transfer to which course requirements? Do you just have to guess? For the TESU degree, will any college credits work in the "Elective" categories? What do I need for the 12 "Knowledge of Human Cultures" credits? Whats the difference between "General Education Electives" and "Electives"?

Any opinions on what's cheaper/easier between WGU vs TESU?

Attached Files
.xlsx   WGU Credits.xlsx (Size: 11.91 KB / Downloads: 48)
Software Engineering at Saylor is ACE approved, so they (WGU) should be able to take that.
Operating Systems is at SDC and ACE approved, I believe.
Here is the map of what CLEPs count for what GenEd requirement at TESU:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

There is one error that I'm aware of on this list, namely that it doesn't show the InfoSystems CLEP counting for Understanding the Physical and Natural World.

For courses outside of CLEP, there's usually someone here who knows the answer of what it will count as.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Tesu has a page that shows exactly which cleps are equivalent to which classes. https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

General education electives typically consist of courses in the traditional liberal arts: math, science, history, psychology, etc. Tesu has a page that lists their general education courses which should give you a solid idea: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2

Free electives is basically any college level course that tesu accepts. This includes anything in general electives along with things like a cooking class.

You can get a good idea of what's in "knowledge of human cultures" from the link above but it basically consists of: art, humanities, philosophy, history, social studies, psych, sociology, etc.

If you do choose TESU, there's a few things you will want to do sooner, rather than later:
-The free institutes ethics course satisfies the TESU ethics requirement and can be completed in a short period of time. Currently (if it is not renewed) it's ACE recommendation ends Jan 31st of this month.
-the free Teex cyber security courses(if not renewed) lose their ace recommendation on Jan 31st also. These may be good for electives in the BACS at tesu.
- the cheap($300), 1 credit tesu cornerstone is set to be replaced by a more expensive ($1098) 3 credit course at tesu later this year.

If you want to be able to go slow at your own pace(because work and life happen) then using alternative credits with the tesu bacs may be your better option. If you want to go with wgu, you should try to transfer in 60+ credits so you only have to do about 30-60 credits in your single term and be prepared to work long an hard during that 6 months to make it happen.

Either way it's doable! Many people here have accomplished their degrees in 1 year through WGU or TESU.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
WGU is less expensive, even if you take 2 terms. But in some cases it might be more difficult to come up with the tuition up-front. On the flip side, if you have tuition reimbursement, it's easy enough to take your first term towards the 2nd half of the year, and your second starting the next year (so like July and January) so that you're fully covered with no out-of-pocket costs. Also, WGU won't let you bring in as many credits (they require ~30cr of residency). On the flip side, you get certifications with the degree which can be very beneficial for some.

TESU is easier if you can't dedicate the time to do a ton of classes in a single term, or if you want to pay for one course at a time over a longer period of time. It would give you more time to save up enough to be able to pay for the final term (where you have to pay for the capstone, the residency waiver, and the graduation fee all around the same time ~$3600). If you have tuition reimbursement, you'd have to see if the residency waiver was covered by your company.

Either degree is equally good.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the replies everyone! There is a ton of useful information here, it's a lot to take it. I'm clearly in the right place though.

(01-22-2019, 02:52 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Here is the map of what CLEPs count for what GenEd requirement at TESU:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

Thanks! I hadn't seen that. It's very helpful.

(01-22-2019, 02:59 PM)MNomadic Wrote: The free institutes ethics course satisfies the TESU ethics requirement and can be completed in a short period of time. Currently (if it is not renewed) it's ACE recommendation ends Jan 31st of this month.

Is this the ethics class you're talking about: https://www.theinstitutes.org/guide/ethi...al-conduct ACE says it's only 2 credits: http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...ICE=300096 But TESU wants three credits for Ethics. How does that work? Is it an easy one to finish before Jan 31st?

(01-22-2019, 03:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: WGU is less expensive, even if you take 2 terms.  But in some cases it might be more difficult to come up with the tuition up-front.  On the flip side, if you have tuition reimbursement, it's easy enough to take your first term towards the 2nd half of the year, and your second starting the next year (so like July and January) so that you're fully covered with no out-of-pocket costs.  Also, WGU won't let you bring in as many credits (they require ~30cr of residency).  On the flip side, you get certifications with the degree which can be very beneficial for some.

TESU is easier if you can't dedicate the time to do a ton of classes in a single term, or if you want to pay for one course at a time over a longer period of time.  It would give you more time to save up enough to be able to pay for the final term (where you have to pay for the capstone, the residency waiver, and the graduation fee all around the same time ~$3600).  If you have tuition reimbursement, you'd have to see if the residency waiver was covered by your company.

I'm going to be 100% out of pocket. No reimbursement or grants. I do have money saved up for this though. So I'm only looking at total cost. Payment timing doesn't matter.

WGU cost would be 2 semesters at $7,000 + about $1,000 for outside credits. It's risky though, since if it takes me three semesters (life happens) I'd be out another $3,500. If I can do WGU in one semester it'd be a no-brainer. Is that realistic? I'm having trouble finding enough credits to transfer in.

With TESU, I would try to get all outside credits. I figure each class is about $100 (StraighterLine, Study.com, CLEPS, etc), so that's about $3,500 for credits. Then about $3,600 to graduate.

I guess I should start by getting credits that would work for both.

Thanks again for all the replies. This is very helpful and gives me a lot to think about.
(01-22-2019, 04:41 PM)oneyearcs Wrote: ...
I guess I should start by getting credits that would work for both.

Absolutely. Do the free stuff 'cause it's free. Then you can get your English and Math done. Those will be needed at both schools.

As said above, make your decision about TESU before June so you can apply and take the 1cr $300 cornerstone instead of the more expensive one. Also, their catalog usually updates on July 1, so applying by then will also lock in the current catalog and protect you from changes to the degree requirements.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Yes that's the free ethics course. Be sure to take the FREE one and not the $5 dollar one for CE credit. Yes it's only 2 credits so you would only have to make up 1 credit elsewhere which is easy since there are a few free Sophia courses. It is very doable before Jan 31st. Some finish it in a single day.

"I guess I should start by getting credits that would work for both."

Yes! That would be the best course of action right now.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(01-22-2019, 02:42 PM)!=scholar Wrote: Software Engineering at Saylor is ACE approved, so they (WGU) should be able to take that.
Operating Systems is at SDC and ACE approved, I believe.

Are you talking about: https://learn.saylor.org/course/view.php?id=94 and https://learn.saylor.org/course/view.php?id=73  I'm wondering why these don't show up at https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...769&pid=86 Do you know for sure that WGU will take it?

It looks like Software Engineering is only 3 credits, but WGU wants 4. http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...CE=1008220 I don't see Operating Systems on ACE.

It would be a huge help if these worked. I feel like I need just a few more credit sources to make a 1 term WGU work.

Does anyone know of sources for Discrete Mathematics I (4), Business of IT - Project Management (4), American Politics and the US Constitution (3), Ethics in Technology (3), or Technical Communication (3)? Those seem likely candidates to transfer, maybe.
The Saylor CS courses may be cheap but I've heard they may not be worth the hassle. People here have said the tests have mistakes, may be outdated, and ask questions based on specific quotes from the study material instead of testing for conceptual understanding.

"Does anyone know of sources for Discrete Mathematics I (4), Business of IT - Project Management (4), American Politics and the US Constitution (3), Ethics in Technology (3), or Technical Communication (3)? Those seem likely candidates to transfer, maybe."

Study.com has discrete math and project management for 3 credits each. May work, not sure. US government can be taken through CLEP, study.com, StraighterLine, etc. There is an ethics in technology DSST and a technical writing DSST as well.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 578 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 258 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 596 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 256 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,679 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 214 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 564 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,299 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 495 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 279 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain