Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confusing chat with TESU's admission
(06-17-2019, 01:02 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Haha I mixed up CCs with foreign credits lol since I have foreign credits...yes they are right its 80 credits.

Yes the maximum for Foreign credits is 90.
(06-17-2019, 01:03 PM)udi Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 12:55 PM)davewill Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 12:17 PM)romoh Wrote: Thank you so much. The admissions advisor told me it's better to apply for admission now so that an academic advisor can work with me on which courses to take..etc, is that a good idea?

Yes, but not so much for that reason since the advisor won't help much with alternative credit. The reason to go ahead and apply is to lock in the current catalog against future changes. If you do it right now, you'll be on the current 2019a catalog instead of the new 2019/2020 catalog that will start July 1. Also, you can start sending transcripts and see where courses really apply in your academic evaluation.

What's the difference between the 2019a catalog and 2019/2020? Should I apply now? I didn't think anything was changing.

That's the unknown, Udi. Things change. There is no guarantee as to which requirements apply to you other than being enrolled.
---------------
Next Goal: TESU BA in Psychology & Computer Science

(06-17-2019, 01:18 PM)studiousimp Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 12:17 PM)romoh Wrote: Thank you so much. The admissions advisor told me it's better to apply for admission now so that an academic advisor can work with me on which courses to take..etc, is that a good idea?

Yes, but not so much for that reason since the advisor won't help much with alternative credit. The reason to go ahead and apply is to lock in the current catalog against future changes. If you do it right now, you'll be on the current 2019a catalog instead of the new 2019/2020 catalog that will start July 1. Also, you can start sending transcripts and see where courses really apply in your academic evaluation.

What's the difference between the 2019a catalog and 2019/2020? Should I apply now? I didn't think anything was changing.

That's the unknown, Udi. Things change. There is no guarantee as to which requirements apply to you other than being enrolled.
Oh, no. If I ask them whether there are any changes to the B.A. in Computer Science for the new catalog do you think they'll tell me the truth?
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(06-17-2019, 01:19 PM)udi Wrote:

Oh, no. If I ask them whether there are any changes to the B.A. in Computer Science for the new catalog do you think they'll tell me the truth?

I don't think anyone is going to LIE to you.

You know how when you go to a carnival or fair, and you walk past the games, the carnival guy is calling after you to come and play? That's an admissions advisor. They have 1 job.

You're asking questions of them that they are *at best* only moderately qualified to answer. They aren't doing anything wrong, it's just that you're not going to ge tthe kind of help you're asking for from them.

This board is the perfect place to get those kinds of questions answered, especially since so many here are enrolled or have earned degrees at TESU. In my experience, the less you have to interact with TESU staff, the better.
(06-17-2019, 01:28 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 12:55 PM)davewill Wrote: Yes, but not so much for that reason since the advisor won't help much with alternative credit. The reason to go ahead and apply is to lock in the current catalog against future changes. If you do it right now, you'll be on the current 2019a catalog instead of the new 2019/2020 catalog that will start July 1. Also, you can start sending transcripts and see where courses really apply in your academic evaluation.

You know how when you go to a carnival or fair, and you walk past the games, the carnival guy is calling after you to come and play?  That's an admissions advisor.  They have 1 job.

You're asking questions of them that they are *at best* only moderately qualified to answer. They aren't doing anything wrong, it's just that you're not going to ge tthe kind of help you're asking for from them.

This board is the perfect place to get those kinds of questions answered, especially since so many here are enrolled or have earned degrees at TESU.  In my experience, the less you have to interact with TESU staff, the better.

I'm worried about this because it seems like things never get better for students -- only worse.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
The thing is, Udi, you can help yourself by applying. Doing that assures that you know exactly what the requirements are for you and your degree path.

Once you've applied (and it's a nominal cost), you don't have to worry about what may change unexpectedly in the future because your catalog is not going to change.

I don't agree that things get worse for students. Things change, that's for sure. And requirements tend to increase and costs go up... but that's true with most things. This is still an extraordinary way to get an accredited degree, though. And you can minimize the uncertainty by enrolling.

Let me give you an example of something I just experienced: I wrote TESU and asked to add a Computer Science major. I did this thinking that I would have to take the new SOS-101 requirement but found that because I am already an enrolled student, the 1-unit TESU course I took fulfills the requirement. That's the benefit of locking in a catalog. Seriously, it's worth doing.
---------------
Next Goal: TESU BA in Psychology & Computer Science

TESU changes some things every single year. That being said, no one knows ahead of time what that will be; so it's better to lock in your catalog now, because you know exactly what the degree requires. If something changes going forward, it generally won't apply to you (except prices, which aren't locked in).

If you don't enroll now, then you're at their mercy, and things can and will change. It may not be anything that applies to your degree, there's no way to know, and no one in enrollment/advising knows at this point. So if you like the degree, lock in that catalog.

And, if you find that the new catalog favors you, it's easy enough to change. You just can't change backwards to the prior catalog if you don't like the new one.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(06-17-2019, 01:36 PM)udi Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 01:28 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 01:03 PM)udi Wrote: What's the difference between the 2019a catalog and 2019/2020? Should I apply now? I didn't think anything was changing.

You know how when you go to a carnival or fair, and you walk past the games, the carnival guy is calling after you to come and play?  That's an admissions advisor.  They have 1 job.

This board is the perfect place to get those kinds of questions answered, especially since so many here are enrolled or have earned degrees at TESU.  In my experience, the less you have to interact with TESU staff, the better.

I'm worried about this because it seems like things never get better for students -- only worse.

I don't want you to misunderstand what I said. This isn't "bad" for students - it's just me helping you understand why you're not getting the info you seek. You need to have access to an advisor (admissions is a different department- they are there to enroll you in the college) but to get access to an advisor you have to be a student, or at the very least in their system. This board isn't linked to TESU in any way, none of us are paid by TESU or any college, so it's truly the best place to get the most transparent information. You finding this board is VERY good for students! It's good for you and it will be good for others too.
(06-17-2019, 01:36 PM)udi Wrote: I'm worried about this because it seems like things never get better for students -- only worse.

There aren't any changes we know about coming up, but we oftern get little notice of things. Things do sometimes get better or easier. For instance, when I did it, the BACS required Calculus I and II, but now you only need Calculus I. As was pointed out above, you can always move to the latest catalog if a change favors you.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
If I apply for admission now, what happens if I don't enroll in any course within 1 year?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 17 2,482 04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 589 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 489 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 516 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 271 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,314 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 247 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 397 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 285 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27