Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consideration - Length of time UMPI Professors take to grade papers and projects
Someone has asked me in a private message a question that I thought I would share in case it was helpful to someone else. I think with the popularity of the UMPI Your Pace program, it has caused delays in the grading of the projects and papers. Knowing that some were trying to complete everything before the deadline, it might be wise to look at the final assessment requirements now. Some of the projects or powerpoint and voiceovers were taking a full week if not longer for the draft to be reviewed, then a couple of days for your changes and then another week for the final review again. I wrote this in my course review to UMPI and I know the professors are probably swamped, but perhaps they should look into the delays. Who really wants to spend more $$ on another semester just because of grading delays?
You're allowed to have  2 courses open simultaneously and can request a third course be opened.

Considering we had multiple students able to complete 10 or more courses in one session, then delays shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(04-11-2022, 04:40 AM)LevelUP Wrote: You're allowed to have  2 courses open simultaneously and can request a third course be opened.

Considering we had multiple students able to complete 10 or more courses in one session, then delays shouldn't be that much of an issue.

It could be getting worse, and with a CBE program where time is money, this shouldn't be an issue to deal with at all.  What if you're near the end of the term?  You can't just open up a new course on week 7 while waiting for a paper to be graded.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-10-2022, 09:58 PM)CCCC Wrote: Someone has asked me in a private message a question that I thought I would share in case it was helpful to someone else. I think with the popularity of the UMPI Your Pace program, it has caused delays in the grading of the projects and papers. Knowing that some were trying to complete everything before the deadline, it might be wise to look at the final assessment requirements now. Some of the projects or powerpoint and voiceovers were taking a full week if not longer for the draft to be reviewed, then a couple of days for your changes and then another week for the final review again. I wrote this in my course review to UMPI and I know the professors are probably swamped, but perhaps they should look into the delays. Who really wants to spend more $$ on another semester just because of grading delays?

The drafts are supposed to be returned within 3 business days. When they aren't the student should contact the professor via email. If after a few days they hear nothing then they should contact Cody. You can have 2 classes open so once you submit a rough draft you ask for another class to be opened.

(04-11-2022, 09:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 04:40 AM)LevelUP Wrote: You're allowed to have  2 courses open simultaneously and can request a third course be opened.

It could be getting worse, and with a CBE program where time is money, this shouldn't be an issue to deal with at all.  What if you're near the end of the term?  You can't just open up a new course on week 7 while waiting for a paper to be graded.

You can't add a class in the last 10 days of the session. I have opened a class on the last day that they were allowed to be added and got my paper returned in a few days. Some professors are slower than others. Students also need to advocate for themselves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP
Milestones are taking over 7 business days to be affirmed, adding in the weekend that's 9 days. I'm going to email Cody again in the morning.
(04-12-2022, 08:40 PM)hope22 Wrote: Milestones are taking over 7 business days to be affirmed, adding in the weekend that's 9 days. I'm going to email Cody again in the morning.

That’s pretty terrible for a CBE degree. You should e-mail him now, so he gets it first thing.

I wish all these CBE programs would realize that time is money and they are potentially costing students thousands.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)

I had some issues with the delays around grading times and when I went to Jessica and Cody with the issue they were very willing to work with me. The issue wasn't on my end, and I was left twiddling my thumbs while my drafts were being assessed so they were very understanding. At one point I had four competencies active with nothing left to do on any of them until I heard back on the drafts, but it was obvious that the instructor was behind and needed more time. They went ahead and assigned me my final two courses and it all worked itself out in the end. I had one course where the milestones were not affirmed until ages past, I just kept on trucking. 

S
(04-13-2022, 05:57 AM)lidel Wrote: I had one course where the milestones were not affirmed until ages past, I just kept on trucking. 

Hooooonk, Hooooonk.

You do sort of need a battle plan when doing some of these CBE programs. 

UMPI, based on feedback, seems pretty good. The worry for some might be getting all drafts submitted late Friday night, and Saturday/Sunday have 10 hrs available each day and no courses open.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-13-2022, 06:46 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 05:57 AM)lidel Wrote: I had one course where the milestones were not affirmed until ages past, I just kept on trucking. 

Hooooonk, Hooooonk.

UMPI, based on feedback, seems pretty good. The worry for some might be getting all drafts submitted late Friday night, and Saturday/Sunday have 10 hrs available each day and no courses open.

Yup, I was able to get past any minor hurdles by planning ahead and communicating with the UMPI Team. Some of the assessments were very detailed and would have taken a fair amount of effort to mark, and I can easily see how an instructor could get bogged down with them. UMPI was understanding of that and was always willing to work with me. They never said no to a reasonable request or workaround. In my case granting me the extra competencies allowed me to continue on and bought the instructor the time they needed to dig in and get their work done. Win-win.

It was a great group to work with.

S
[-] The following 1 user Likes lidel's post:
  • rachel83az
(04-13-2022, 06:46 AM)LevelUP Wrote:

Hooooonk, Hooooonk.

I'd say reach out to your academic advisor. When I was in this situation, I shoot an email saying that I am about to finish a draft, but would only be able to submit it by the end of Friday. Jessica opened a class for me, so I technically had three classes opened simultaneously.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 222 10 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 156 Today, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 5 131 Today, 12:35 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 139 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 274 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 269 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,529 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,446 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 480 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 354 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77