Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Costs for Competency-Based Bachelor's Programs as of 7/25/2020
(08-26-2020, 02:33 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 09:12 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: In regards to competency-based masters, are any of the MBA options more exam based rather than written paper based?

I am not aware of one, but that doesn't mean the answer is no. There are programs that nobody on this forum has been through as yet. Plus I am sure there are members of the forum who have attended some of those programs without posting feedback on the ratio of exams to papers throughout the programs that they did attend.

This is an answerable question though. It would just require someone doing the research. Unfortunately, those kinds of details are rarely covered in the syllabi so it will require contacting someone in the school or someone who has previously taken those courses. The easiest approach would probably be to contact each college with a competency-based MBA program and ask about how the courses are structures and the ratio of papers to exams. Of course, I don't whether this information is readily available to the admissions team, but with sufficient prodding, I expect the information can be obtained.

If someone does take on that challenge, hopefully they will post the results on the forum here since I'm also curious. It would be interesting to see the various programs compared in terms of this kind of information as well.

From the list short above, it appears that very few schools offer a competency based MBA in the first place. There's WGU, of the others, I only noticed Walden myself.
I wish I could change the name of the thread to "Costs for Competency-Based Bachelor's Programs as of 7/25/2020." Any way to do that mods?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-31-2020, 11:07 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I wish I could change the name of the thread to "Costs for Competency-Based Bachelor's Programs as of 7/25/2020."  Any way to do that mods?

Done.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • dfrecore
(07-25-2020, 04:40 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 10:56 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 09:40 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I wanted to start this thread to let people know that the costs vary quite a bit.  And of course, every school doesn't offer every program, so you have to look at that before you look at the cost.  But if you want to compare apples-to-apples, then you can see what each program costs per week.

SCHOOL             PROGRAM                     COST              TERM             COST PER WEEK
NAU                     Personalized Learning    $3,000              6 months        $115
UMH                    MyWay                             $3,250             6 months         $125
Brandman            MyPath                            $3,200             24 weeks         $133
WGU                                                            $3370-$3845   6 months         $130-$148
APU/AMU            Momentum                       $2,500            16 weeks         $156
UMPI                   YourPace                          $1,400             8 weeks          $175
U of Wisconsin    Flex                                   $2,250            12 weeks         $188
Walden                Tempo Learning               $2,450             3 months         $188
Capella                Flexpath                           $2500-$3200   12 weeks         $208-$267

Maybe include what the colleges are that are abbreviated? Everyone doesn't know what the initials stand for. People come here all the time and don't become members so that can't ask. This is a great list. Maybe the admins can add a sticky note to it so it stays up top?
  • NAU = Northern Arizona University
  • UMH = University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
  • Brandman = Brandman University
  • WGU = Western Governors University
  • APU/AMU = American Public University (American Military University)
  • UMPI = University of Main at Presque Isle
  • U of Wisconsin = University of Wisconsin
  • Walden = Walden University
  • Capella = Capella University
There are a couple of obvious schools missing from that list like Purdue Global and SNHU (Southern New Hampshire University).

Keep in mind that this list is a moving target since many colleges are adding (or have recently added) competency-based online programs these days. That list includes the following colleges:
  • Rasmussen College
  • Mary L Hurst University
  • Broward College
  • Texas State Technical College
  • Salt Lake Community College
  • University of Michigan
  • Lipscomb University
  • Wilmington University
  • University of Texas
  • Tarleton State University (Texas A&M)
I'm sure there are a number of other colleges out there that should be on that list that I am not aware of as well.

Thanks everyone for this informative thread and posts. Cost is obviously one factor, when looking into a program/school, I would also look into the limits or usability in the number for transfer of credits, non or for profit status (if important to you), and options for alternative credit, etc. I usually look at the overall ROI/Value of the school program, if it has secondary/programmatic accreditation, etc...

For example, Brandman is a private non-profit that has MyPath from an Associates in General Business up to a Masters of Arts in Organizational Leadership and I think their costs are $3200/6 months for undergrad and $3500/6 months for the MAOL - these are perfect WGU alternatives for individuals who are not US Citizen or Permanent Residents residing in the US, it will also work if you want something other than WGU.

The one that caught my attention once again is Walden, as they are offering a 50% off tuition for the life of their programs, this is a for profit if it matters, but their programs are equally writing intensive as any other comparable competency based degree program. Again, cost is something, but I would look at the overall picture of what degree plans are offered and if it has programmatic or secondary accreditation, etc.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Kab, Pikachu
(09-10-2020, 02:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 04:40 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 10:56 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 09:40 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I wanted to start this thread to let people know that the costs vary quite a bit.  And of course, every school doesn't offer every program, so you have to look at that before you look at the cost.  But if you want to compare apples-to-apples, then you can see what each program costs per week.

SCHOOL             PROGRAM                     COST              TERM             COST PER WEEK
NAU                     Personalized Learning    $3,000              6 months        $115
UMH                    MyWay                             $3,250             6 months         $125
Brandman            MyPath                            $3,200             24 weeks         $133
WGU                                                            $3370-$3845   6 months         $130-$148
APU/AMU            Momentum                       $2,500            16 weeks         $156
UMPI                   YourPace                          $1,400             8 weeks          $175
U of Wisconsin    Flex                                   $2,250            12 weeks         $188
Walden                Tempo Learning               $2,450             3 months         $188
Capella                Flexpath                           $2500-$3200   12 weeks         $208-$267

Maybe include what the colleges are that are abbreviated? Everyone doesn't know what the initials stand for. People come here all the time and don't become members so that can't ask. This is a great list. Maybe the admins can add a sticky note to it so it stays up top?
  • NAU = Northern Arizona University
  • UMH = University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
  • Brandman = Brandman University
  • WGU = Western Governors University
  • APU/AMU = American Public University (American Military University)
  • UMPI = University of Main at Presque Isle
  • U of Wisconsin = University of Wisconsin
  • Walden = Walden University
  • Capella = Capella University
There are a couple of obvious schools missing from that list like Purdue Global and SNHU (Southern New Hampshire University).

Keep in mind that this list is a moving target since many colleges are adding (or have recently added) competency-based online programs these days. That list includes the following colleges:
  • Rasmussen College
  • Broward College
  • University of Michigan
  • Lipscomb University
  • Wilmington University
  • University of Texas
I'm sure there are a number of other colleges out there that should be on that list that I am not aware of as well.

Thanks everyone for this informative thread and posts.  Cost is obviously one factor, when looking into a program/school, I would also look into the limits or usability in the number for transfer of credits, non or for profit status (if important to you), and options for alternative credit, etc.   I usually look at the overall ROI/Value of the school program, if it has secondary/programmatic accreditation, etc...

For example, Brandman is a private non-profit that has MyPath from an Associates in General Business up to a Masters of Arts in Organizational Leadership and I think their costs are $3200/6 months for undergrad and $3500/6 months for the MAOL - these are perfect WGU alternatives for individuals who are not US Citizen or Permanent Residents residing in the US, it will also work if you want something other than WGU.

The one that caught my attention once again is Walden, as they are offering a 50% off tuition for the life of their programs, this is a for profit if it matters, but their programs are equally writing intensive as any other comparable competency based degree program.  Again, cost is something, but I would look at the overall picture of what degree plans are offered and if it has programmatic or secondary accreditation, etc.

I would be curious about the U of Texas and Michigan options as those certainly have better brand associations when most schools have "Global" or "Extension" or the like for their online offerings.
(07-25-2020, 04:40 PM)Merlin Wrote: Keep in mind that this list is a moving target since many colleges are adding (or have recently added) competency-based online programs these days. That list includes the following colleges:
  • Rasmussen College
  • Broward College
  • University of Michigan
  • Lipscomb University
  • Wilmington University
  • University of Texas

Can you link to the programs for these schools? For if nothing else at least for Texas and University of Michigan? That it very interesting prestigious schools offer competency programs.
I called a few of these and I updated the wiki article based upon transfer rules. For example Brandman requires 30 residency, but they don't count Sophia for anything beyond General Ed.
I see on the Wiki that there may be fees for transferring ACE credits to UMPI. There are no fees for transferring ACE credits.
(09-17-2020, 03:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I see on the Wiki that there may be fees for transferring ACE credits to UMPI. There are no fees for transferring ACE credits.

Thanks. The way it was worded made it sound like there might be.
(09-17-2020, 03:17 PM)ashkir Wrote: I called a few of these and I updated the wiki article based upon transfer rules. For example Brandman requires 30 residency, but they don't count Sophia for anything beyond General Ed.

Another note for Brandman.  If you're using ACE credits for the MyPath program you have to score at least 81.5% on the courses or they won't transfer.  For any other program they allow ACE minimums (70%).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 133 Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 1,043 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,689 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 446 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 85 12,248 01-12-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,980 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
  Is it possible to get a bachelor's degree in anything with mostly Sophia, etc? whiverem 19 2,257 06-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Amberton Bachelor's Experience? SCYankee 6 955 03-01-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free or inexpensive HR Certificate programs learningthehardway 7 1,216 06-02-2022, 05:37 PM
  ECPI programs & videos... bjcheung77 0 548 05-01-2022, 12:49 PM