Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Capella be worth it at this price???
(03-22-2022, 09:58 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 10:34 PM)Tedium Wrote: My honest guess is that places like Capella, Walden, UoPx aren't that great quality-wise.

I don't think that's fair. I've read a number of accounts from people who were surprised by how much work they had to do to get through those schools, and how their instructors added a lot of value. And on a personal note, two of the best courses I ever took, at any degree level, were at Strayer.

That said, I also think they're all too expensive for what they offer when there are cheaper alternatives out there, and for that reason I can't see recommending any of them. But that's not the same thing. And I wouldn't hesitate to hire someone who'd earned a degree from one of them.

That's not fair because it's a blanket statement. It's not true in every program or every class. @sanantone taught at an NA institution. The school may be awful, but I have a feeling that, as much time as she puts into her education and into helping the members of this board, her class was very insightful. My wife is going through the Vet. Tech program at Penn Foster, and I've been pleasantly surprised with the rigor of most of her courses so far. 

But when you look at the amount of busy work PUG makes you do for an undergraduate degree in their competency program, it's easy to see how some people and institutions can conflate amount of work and rigor. I don't really think COSC, TESU, or EC are that great rigor-wise, but I can back up my future diploma with outside knowledge, so it's not an issue for me. 

I was more trying to make a point that it doesn't much matter when you just need a credential and the information is available free to everyone. I wouldn't not hire someone who attended any of those schools or took the path that I'm taking. I also wouldn't look at those people and think they put themselves through a rigorous program. However, they would get the same shot as everyone else to prove they can get the job done, and that was the point I was getting at. If you just need to check an HR box, rigor doesn't matter. 
(03-22-2022, 10:56 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I decided to follow up and ask more questions.  The FlexPath is available from the start for an MBA… if your undergrad GPA is 2.8 or higher.  (Mine is not).  If your GPA is above a 2.3 (Mine is), then you can submit some stuff for review and potentially get accepted to FlexPath right away.   The pricing is only for the Flexpath.  It is a specific deal they worked out with the company for specific degrees.  The Guided Path is only a 10% discount (which would not be a good enough deal for me to bother with them).   In order to finish in a year, I would have to be able to do 3 courses per 12 week term.  So that’s the big question for that part.

First, can I get FlexPath from the start?  Second, can I do 3 courses in 12 weeks?

I suppose if I do a term at TAMUC this summer, it could answer those questions.  First, I’d know how much I got done in a 7 week term. Second, I’d know my grades.   If I bomb out, then I could scrap the whole idea and go back to my Coursera and Sophia and just keep learning for learning’s sake.

Oh… or…. Instead of TAMUC, I can do the ASU graduate certificate.   Then I’d have some graduate level work and possibly some transferable credits if they fit in to the program at all.

I would strongly suggest the ASU Thunderbird program first. It's free. TAMUC isn't going anywhere. I would love to have a bunch of people to guinea pig TAMUC with me because the program looks so cool, but I also think the free option is going to be better for your immediate situation.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 4 users Like Tedium's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, sanantone, ss20ts, Vle045
Here's the thread from a student that tried to do Flexpath but was rejected
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...y-FlexPath

From what I understand, their modules are gated, and unlike PUG ExcelTrack, you can't open multiple courses so you can work on things while you wait for your paper to be graded.

That would make it hard to accelerate.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az, Tedium, Vle045
Thank you everyone. I do appreciate all the feedback. I do want to make an informed decision. So anything that is brought up here, if it is relevant for me, I will definitely ask. So far when I have talked with them, I got very clear answers. Nothing that made me feel like they were trying to purposefully be vague. But then again, I do have the benefit of everyone here, so I know what to ask. If not for the huge discount, I wouldn’t even be considering Capella. But potentially only spending $5250 if I can do it in a year is appealing.

I just wish there weren’t so many interesting things out there that I want to do. It makes it really hard to focus. (For me).

I want a ton of stuff on Coursera. I have free Sophia access for a year whether I “need” it or not. I want to join he UMPI club sometimes. TAMUC seems to be calling my name. (I think it is the gold and blue lion… that is my HS mascot and colors and I was in the last graduating class). Definitely want to try the free ASU certificate. That seems like a definite must. **overload!**. Smile
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • Tedium
@Vle045, I wouldn't rush into things, sometimes all the cheapies or freebies coming all at once, pick the ones that interest you the most, and break it down to the top 3 choices and go for those. I think doing the ASU Cert, Coursera, and the UMPI options would be good. Work on them according to your schedule and time.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Vle045
(03-22-2022, 09:56 AM)Flelm Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 10:14 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I have looked at HAU… and considered it.  But my GPA doesn’t meet their requirements.  If I go ahead with the TAMUC degree, maybe that would boost that for me… but the $3,000 deal may be gone by then.  But on the off chance it’s still running at that point, it would be on my list.

I would not let your GPA stop you from applying, if HAU (or any other program) otherwise fits what you want. Let them reject you, don't reject yourself.

I have a pretty crappy GPA (I don't want to calculate my overall GPA, but TESU GPA was like 2.44), and was accepted to Eastern's programs (MBA/Data Science) with a letter of explanation, and to HAU with 2 letters of recommendation.

I went through and calculated my overall GPA. Worse than I thought. There's reasons (aren't there always?) but the numbers are black and white.

College 1 (2002-2004): 2.508, 84 attempted graded credits
College 2 (2005-2006): 0.17, 18 attempted graded credits
College 3 (2009): 0.5714, 21 attempted graded credits
College 4 (2010-2013): 1.086, 35 attempted graded credits
TESU (2016-2021): 2.433, 9 attempted graded credits

Overall GPA: 1.71, 167 attempted graded credits

Again, just saying that you shouldn't disqualify yourself if you think a program would work for you. Make them reject you.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 4 users Like Flelm's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, rachel83az, Tedium, Vle045
Thank you for sharing Flelm.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(03-22-2022, 04:01 PM)Tedium Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 09:58 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 10:34 PM)Tedium Wrote: My honest guess is that places like Capella, Walden, UoPx aren't that great quality-wise.

I don't think that's fair. I've read a number of accounts from people who were surprised by how much work they had to do to get through those schools, and how their instructors added a lot of value. And on a personal note, two of the best courses I ever took, at any degree level, were at Strayer.

That said, I also think they're all too expensive for what they offer when there are cheaper alternatives out there, and for that reason I can't see recommending any of them. But that's not the same thing. And I wouldn't hesitate to hire someone who'd earned a degree from one of them.

That's not fair because it's a blanket statement. It's not true in every program or every class. @sanantone taught at an NA institution. The school may be awful, but I have a feeling that, as much time as she puts into her education and into helping the members of this board, her class was very insightful. My wife is going through the Vet. Tech program at Penn Foster, and I've been pleasantly surprised with the rigor of most of her courses so far. 

But when you look at the amount of busy work PUG makes you do for an undergraduate degree in their competency program, it's easy to see how some people and institutions can conflate amount of work and rigor. I don't really think COSC, TESU, or EC are that great rigor-wise, but I can back up my future diploma with outside knowledge, so it's not an issue for me. 

I was more trying to make a point that it doesn't much matter when you just need a credential and the information is available free to everyone. I wouldn't not hire someone who attended any of those schools or took the path that I'm taking. I also wouldn't look at those people and think they put themselves through a rigorous program. However, they would get the same shot as everyone else to prove they can get the job done, and that was the point I was getting at. If you just need to check an HR box, rigor doesn't matter. 
(03-22-2022, 10:56 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I decided to follow up and ask more questions.  The FlexPath is available from the start for an MBA… if your undergrad GPA is 2.8 or higher.  (Mine is not).  If your GPA is above a 2.3 (Mine is), then you can submit some stuff for review and potentially get accepted to FlexPath right away.   The pricing is only for the Flexpath.  It is a specific deal they worked out with the company for specific degrees.  The Guided Path is only a 10% discount (which would not be a good enough deal for me to bother with them).   In order to finish in a year, I would have to be able to do 3 courses per 12 week term.  So that’s the big question for that part.

First, can I get FlexPath from the start?  Second, can I do 3 courses in 12 weeks?

I suppose if I do a term at TAMUC this summer, it could answer those questions.  First, I’d know how much I got done in a 7 week term. Second, I’d know my grades.   If I bomb out, then I could scrap the whole idea and go back to my Coursera and Sophia and just keep learning for learning’s sake.

Oh… or…. Instead of TAMUC, I can do the ASU graduate certificate.   Then I’d have some graduate level work and possibly some transferable credits if they fit in to the program at all.

I would strongly suggest the ASU Thunderbird program first. It's free. TAMUC isn't going anywhere. I would love to have a bunch of people to guinea pig TAMUC with me because the program looks so cool, but I also think the free option is going to be better for your immediate situation.

This is where I differ with many non-traditional students when it comes to "rigor." To many, having to write many pages = rigorous. What I want to know is whether the reading materials are college-level, the assignments require intellectual effort, and the grading standards only award quality work. My toughest classes were graduate-level science and industrial hygiene courses that consisted of mostly multiple choice exams. 

I came across a Capella PhD graduate who wrote so poorly, one might think she didn't graduate from high school. I wondered if someone wrote her dissertation for her. It wasn't dyslexia; she appeared to have little knowledge of grammar rules, and she was born and raised in the U.S. I'm sure there are some smart people who attend Capella and produce quality work, but I'm judging the school by the lowest quality work they'll allow.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Tedium
All schools will turn out a few people who aren't great at writing. Doesn't mean their programs aren't quality programs. Just because one is born in the US doesn't mean they are up to par on grammar and writing ability. George W Bush was a mediocre student at best while at Yale and still became president. Every school has students who barely graduate. They all earn the same degree. There are C students who become MDs and A students who become MDs. No one knows which is which as they all get the same diploma and jacket.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • TINASAM
(03-31-2022, 12:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: All schools will turn out a few people who aren't great at writing. Doesn't mean their programs aren't quality programs. Just because one is born in the US doesn't mean they are up to par on grammar and writing ability. George W Bush was a mediocre student at best while at Yale and still became president. Every school has students who barely graduate. They all earn the same degree. There are C students who become MDs and A students who become MDs. No one knows which is which as they all get the same diploma and jacket.

You should be up to par on basic grammar rules if you're in a PhD program. My PhD program at a traditional university wouldn't accept that. They had patience for one student from Asia, but they sent him to the writing center for assistance. In general, anyone with very poor writing skills was already weeded out by the GRE requirement. 

Being mediocre or barely graduating does not mean that one is uneducated or has below average intelligence. Institutions are going to have a bell curve unless there's grade inflation. There will always be students on the bottom, in the middle, and on the top. What I am looking at is who is at the bottom. The students who barely pass should have bare minimum proficiency. Incompetent students should not pass.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Flelm, rachel83az, Tedium

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,616 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 422 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Is a BALS worth it at Tesu? Nadiv10 2 961 09-21-2021, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Nadiv10
  Capella University vs TESU for BSBA Degree? BrendaB 10 2,405 11-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Last Post: BrendaB