Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could use some help with an unfinished degree Plan
Hey guys these past few days I've been viewing various threads and the wikis provided whenever I have time. The wiki is a gem of information and really cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I wanted to have a plan set for alt credits as well as waive the Tesu residency fee so I referenced the provided degree plans and created a document of sophia/study.com classes I could take to transfer as well as a couple alternatives I found on the wiki. I ran into a couple areas that are confusing me and could use some help. I attached a pdf file of the plan. I’m a little stuck and I believe it’s the General Electives. The TESUs BSBA CIS program page States Part F: General education electives (17-20 credits)  (I guess I’m just worried about taking classes I don’t need to and trying to figure out how many electives I should take). Also, if my 9 RA credits from Community college transfer over that means I should take 2 more RA courses for 6 RA credits. Leaving the (TESU Residency Waiver Semester) which will be the remaining 15 RA credits to waive the residency fee and will include the capstone and cornerstone. I was wondering what you guys might think of that.

Thanks for all of your help so far guys as well the sample degree plans its really set me on the path towards finishing my degree.
So you are using an old plan, which is the issue. Parts A, B and D are the same, but Part C is now 15cr, with 1 course each from Social Sciences, History, and Humanities, and then 2 additional courses from any of those. Part E: Math is gone, Stats is now in the Core. Part F is gone entirely.

More info: ONU is $50/cr, so a course is $150. More than worth it though.

Here are your issues:

Part A
For English Comp II, I would choose either ONU (similar amount of work as Sophia or Study.com, but RA credit) or the TECEP exam

Part B
Diversity - I think Sophia's Religion course will no longer work here

Core
Added requirement - BUS-210: Business Analysis - which can be done through CSMLearn's course for $39. I suggest you take this ASAP, as I've heard rumors...

CIS-351 - you can avoid the Network Tech TECEP by taking BUS 309, which is already in your plan, so I would take an easier LL course here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For RA credit, you have this correct - you have 9cr, you'll take 16cr in the FT/FR term at TESU, leaving 5cr. So you just need to take 2 more courses. My favorite option is the Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics TECEP exam - so easy if you've already taken College Algebra. Take CSM Learn, then take this exam right away to enroll. This will put you at 28cr.

Another option is to get rid of that 1cr course for the FT/FR term, and instead do another easy 3cr course.

If you're a good test-taker, consider the Comp 2 TECEP. It's easy if you can type fast, and create a short essay in a timed test.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • FurthestSights81
Your degree plan is based on the old (pre July 2021) catalog.

The new catalog is here:
https://iq3prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/Cata...on-Systems

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

Oral Communication, study.com does the course presentation in the workplace, I would take that course. 

You need to redo part C.   You're missing Intro to Psychology and U.S. History and the total credits is now 15 credits, not 9 credits. 

Part D should be 6 credits.  You only need 2 classes so get rid of outliner.org.

I would do Introduction to Critical Reasoning (PHI-130) over Art-100.  Maybe try the TECEP for RA credit. 
The entire course is here:
https://sites.google.com/a/courses.tesc....reasoning/

Other than that everything seems to look ok.

Redo the degree with the suggested changes, and we can check if it is ok.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • FurthestSights81
Hey guys thanks for your responses. I used your advice and changed the plan to the current catalog. This included changes to the core curriculum s well as added recommended courses you guys provided. All I think I have to do now is choose remaining electives. I will upload the new plan. I attached it to this reply since I haven't figured out how to edit my first post. Plan is below.

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU BSBA CIS Degree Plan.pdf (Size: 136.76 KB / Downloads: 19)
(11-28-2021, 01:25 PM)FurthestSights81 Wrote: Hey guys thanks for your responses. I used your advice and changed the plan to the current catalog. This included changes to the core curriculum s well as added recommended courses you guys provided. All I think I have to do now is choose remaining electives. I will upload the new plan. I attached it to this reply since I haven't figured out how to edit my first post. Plan is below.

I would definitely do ONU's Stats course instead of Outlier (way cheaper at $150 instead of $400, and self-paced).
COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Work Place (Study.com) is a much better option than Public Speaking (Sophia).
I'd do Study.com's COMPSCI 105: Intro to Operating Systems as a Free Elective - if you end up wanting the BACS, this will work in that area too.
I'd do all 3 of the TEEX courses, they'll all work in Free Electives
I'd dump Outlier's Intro to Astronomy since you won't need it.

Your current plan only has 28cr of RA, and 13cr in your term at TESU.  I'd add an UL CompSci course (CIS-330: Software Engineering or COS-451: Artificial Intelligence) to put you over.  I'd also swap out Intro to Critical Reasoning for an ePack course.  That way you have 10cr of courses, and 6cr of ePacks (instead of 13/3).  That's just a heavy load for a 12-week term).

Then, if you still want your BACS, it's easy enough and cheap enough to get - you wait until your degree is conferred, then go back for a second bachelor's.  Your GE and Free Electives are all waived, and you only need to fulfill the AoS.  You'll already have 31cr out of 45cr needed - so you just need to do the remaining 5 required courses for 15cr, and then 9cr of really easy courses for electives, and then sign up for the capstone.  Your costs should only be around $1855 for the Capstone and grad fee.  A few months of Study.com would do the trick:
REQ: COMPSCI 201: Data Structures & Algorithms
REQ: MAT 104: Calculus
REQ: MATH 108: Discrete Math
REQ: COMPSCI 306: Computer Architecture
ELECTIVE: BUS 109: Intro to Computers
ELECTIVE: COMPSCI 109: Intro to Programming
ELECTIVE: BUS 104: Information Systems & Computer Applications
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • FurthestSights81
(11-28-2021, 01:25 PM)FurthestSights81 Wrote: Hey guys thanks for your responses. I used your advice and changed the plan to the current catalog. This included changes to the core curriculum s well as added recommended courses you guys provided. All I think I have to do now is choose remaining electives. I will upload the new plan. I attached it to this reply since I haven't figured out how to edit my first post. Plan is below.

Looks good!
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • FurthestSights81
(11-28-2021, 04:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I would definitely do ONU's Stats course instead of Outlier (way cheaper at $150 instead of $400, and self-paced).
COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Work Place (Study.com) is a much better option than Public Speaking (Sophia).
I'd do Study.com's COMPSCI 105: Intro to Operating Systems as a Free Elective - if you end up wanting the BACS, this will work in that area too.
I'd do all 3 of the TEEX courses, they'll all work in Free Electives
I'd dump Outlier's Intro to Astronomy since you won't need it.

Your current plan only has 28cr of RA, and 13cr in your term at TESU.  I'd add an UL CompSci course (CIS-330: Software Engineering or COS-451: Artificial Intelligence) to put you over.  I'd also swap out Intro to Critical Reasoning for an ePack course.  That way you have 10cr of courses, and 6cr of ePacks (instead of 13/3).  That's just a heavy load for a 12-week term).

Then, if you still want your BACS, it's easy enough and cheap enough to get - you wait until your degree is conferred, then go back for a second bachelor's.  Your GE and Free Electives are all waived, and you only need to fulfill the AoS.  You'll already have 31cr out of 45cr needed - so you just need to do the remaining 5 required courses for 15cr, and then 9cr of really easy courses for electives, and then sign up for the capstone.  Your costs should only be around $1855 for the Capstone and grad fee.  A few months of Study.com would do the trick:
REQ: COMPSCI 201: Data Structures & Algorithms
REQ: MAT 104: Calculus
REQ: MATH 108: Discrete Math
REQ: COMPSCI 306: Computer Architecture
ELECTIVE: BUS 109: Intro to Computers
ELECTIVE: COMPSCI 109: Intro to Programming
ELECTIVE: BUS 104: Information Systems & Computer Applications
Thank you for this breakdown on classes and costs. It really puts it all into perspective when getting another bachelors. I will update to get the 30 RA credits. I didn't know much about epacks besides reading statements that they're more expensive.

Made a few switches still trying to get this so that it adds up to 30 RA credits. For comp II and statistics ill do ONU possibly TECEP for comp II though I might not like the test format if its faster though it might be my best option. I added TEEX courses for free electives as well as Study.com's COMPSCI 105: Intro to Operating Systems. I think I might switch out a humanities course from sophia to an RA source. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
(11-30-2021, 12:52 PM)FurthestSights81 Wrote: Thank you for this breakdown on classes and costs. It really puts it all into perspective when getting another bachelors. I will update to get the 30 RA credits. I didn't know much about epacks besides reading statements that they're more expensive.

At TESU, a 16cr single term is quite a heavy load (their terms are 12weeks, so more like a quarter-system than semester-system school).  They way to get around that heavy load is to find a way to get a course or two (or three) that won't take your full term to complete; and so ePacks are what you could use.  They are "courses" in that they are full price, and count towards residency; but there are no assignments, chapter quizzes (which don't count towards your grade), and then your entire grade rests entirely on your final (and only) exam.

The choice is limited, but for someone with knowledge, this is a very good way to get residency and RA credits at TESU, and take a bit of the load off.  You can take the final exam any time during the term, and I personally would recommend the first week and get it out of the way.

CIS-107 is a great option for you, if you're computer literate.  It's by far the easiest course on the list.  I wish they had more easy ones like Applied Liberal Arts Math, but alas, they do not (this is a great TECEP to take though, for RA credit).

Here's the list: https://www2.tesu.edu/listallc.php?type=...1571680140
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • FurthestSights81, jch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 532 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 457 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 362 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 335 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 291 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 652 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 615 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 5,005 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1