Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coursera Google IT courses not available all at once?
Hello all,

I have no experience with Coursera prior to this, but I've just enrolled into TADA then enrolled into the Google IT course on their site.

The problem is, once I enrolled in the course it's only letting me do parts of it week by week, not all at once. Did I enroll in the wrong thing, or is this course always on a week-by-week release date?

If it is only on a week-by-week basis, am I going to get penalized if I don't finish each section the week it's due? I don't always have free time every week and I would've preferred to do as much as possible in the occasional large chunks of free time I sometimes get.

Thanks!
(10-20-2022, 04:26 PM)bdarei Wrote: Hello all,

I have no experience with Coursera prior to this, but I've just enrolled into TADA then enrolled into the Google IT course on their site.

The problem is, once I enrolled in the course it's only letting me do parts of it week by week, not all at once. Did I enroll in the wrong thing, or is this course always on a week-by-week release date?

If it is only on a week-by-week basis, am I going to get penalized if I don't finish each section the week it's due? I don't always have free time every week and I would've preferred to do as much as possible in the occasional large chunks of free time I sometimes get.

Thanks!

You have to enroll part by part. 

You don't have to do parts in order.

There are no due dates. 

You don't get penalized if you fail any exam though you are only allowed to take up to 3 of the same exam in one day. 

Sit back and relax. This is a low-stress certification.

I got the whole cert done in a couple of days though I'm a computer science major, so most of it was review for me or pretty low-level basic stuff.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
The "due dates" are only recommendations to help you stay with a recommended pace. If you fall behind, you can reset your due dates. Also, even though the courses are separated by weeks, you can just move forward ahead of schedule. Even going through all the material at a slow pace, you can get through a couple "weeks" within a few days if you want.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I think I'm missing something obvious. So far I've enrolled in the first 2 parts of the Google IT course and all the quizzes past week 1 for each part are locked and won't let me access them.

If I scroll all the way down to the very bottom of the Grades page, it says "Upcoming session: October 24 - December 12". Does that mean maybe I just have to wait til the 24th to do the rest of the quizzes? That's not great news, since it said I could start the day I enrolled.

I'm sorry if this is obvious, I've never used Coursera and I'm still recovering from being sick so my thinking might not be the best.
It's alright, you're in good shape, just keep going at the courses as fast or as slow as you want, you just need to pace yourself and not rush into things as what you're doing here. Again, you have no time limit to complete courses and in no particular order. The weeks are there just to show you as a guide and sort things in orderly fashion, so it's not clumped into one folder. Don't look at time, again, progress at your pace/speed. It's non-proctored and you have "peer-grading" of assignments, all quizzes need to be passed, optional items can be skipped, you get the drift by completing one week at a time and get that "green checkmark"...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-20-2022, 06:01 PM)bdarei Wrote: I think I'm missing something obvious. So far I've enrolled in the first 2 parts of the Google IT course and all the quizzes past week 1 for each part are locked and won't let me access them.

If I scroll all the way down to the very bottom of the Grades page, it says "Upcoming session: October 24 - December 12". Does that mean maybe I just have to wait til the 24th to do the rest of the quizzes? That's not great news, since it said I could start the day I enrolled.

I'm sorry if this is obvious, I've never used Coursera and I'm still recovering from being sick so my thinking might not be the best.

I don't remember that happening when I went through the course. Perhaps you've run into a new mechanic? Have you already completed the quizzes for "week 1"? If not, finish them and see if "week 2" unlocks. If you have, and everything is still locked, I'm not sure what's going on.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I had finished all of week 1 but every week after that was still locked, so I had contacted support and they unlocked the rest of the courses for me.

According to the Coursera Support person I contacted, it turns out that the courses are on "Limited Schedules, meaning that there are already preset starting and ending dates, as well as preset deadlines, set by the Teaching Staff." So even though the enrollment page said they were available immediately, that 10/24 date is the next date that the full course is available. To unlock the rest of the course for me Coursera put me on a slightly older schedule.

For anyone who has the same problem: Since I'm not a paid subscriber the chat option isn't available so I had to contact them using the form on this page: https://www.coursera.support/s/learner-h...uage=en_US

They emailed me a couple hours later and had unlocked the courses before I ever got the email.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 381 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,691 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  AWIT Real-world Cloud Product (Coursera) Transfer cizzie 26 3,263 03-17-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,798 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,397 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,496 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,811 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer