Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coursera + University of Illinois = IMSM - MS in Management
What caught my eye after looking at Coursera for their Master degree partnerships was this degree from U of Illinois!
They have several offerings such as their IMBA and so on, all of them are above $20K, this one is half price!
Basically, $10,872 - 1 year to complete, 10-15 hrs per week per class, 36 credit hours, Completely online

Here's a cut and paste from their FAQ here at the bottom under the overview: https://www.coursera.org/degrees/ms-management-illinois

Upon completion of the iMSM program, students receive an MSM degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – the same degree conferred to on-campus students in the MSM program. At the end of their iMSM coursework, students will have the option to pursue an MBA if they so choose.

By combining business knowledge with a degree in the arts and humanities, social sciences, or other non-business majors, you can achieve greater earning power and gain a competitive advantage. Career opportunities include management, consulting, analytics, entrepreneurship, and other high-demand jobs.

Yes, Gies College of Business is fully accredited through AACSB.  Yes, you can get started with Specializations and courses on Coursera to try out the asynchronous portions of iMSM coursework before or while you apply.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MrBossmanJr
Yes, but this program is not too easy to get in. You'll need three letters of recommendations from legitimate employers. This means you have to get a managerial job position.
Also, a very strong personal essay is required.
(09-09-2020, 07:15 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Yes, but this program is not too easy to get in. You'll need three letters of recommendations from legitimate employers. This means you have to get a managerial job position.

Very unnecessary requirements especially if one is an immigrant or not privileged.
Yeah, before I did the post, I thought I read about this before and also did a search for IMSM and even Illinois, only thing showing on this board was the IMBA. Anyways, this was in fact talked about before.... but on the sister board, lol. I knew I remembered something about this before... https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...nly.57136/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-09-2020, 07:15 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Yes, but this program is not too easy to get in. You'll need three letters of recommendations from legitimate employers. This means you have to get a managerial job position.

I'm not sure you're looking at the Illinois MS in Management that BJ posted. Here's the admissions page. 

Quote:3. Personal Statement
Your personal statement should answer the following questions:

• Describe your long-term and short-term career goals of earning an iMSM.

• Discuss why you think you are the ideal fit for this program.

• Tell us what you value most in your learning experience.
Please keep this to 1,000 words or less, and double-spaced.
4. References
Your two references should be from an academic and/or professional source, like a professor whose course you've taken or a supervisor/manager you've reported to in a role. An optional third reference may also be submitted.
6. Essay (Optional):

You can write an optional essay to elaborate on one of the following:

• If you do not believe that your test score or grades demonstrate your true capabilities of if there are any gaps in your academic career and work experience, which the Admissions Committee should know about.

• If would like to highlight something that you could not address in other areas of the application.

No where does it say you NEED to have 3 letters of recommendation from employers or that you have to hold management positions. Just 2 references and they can be from college sources or employment sources.

It requires a relatively short personal statement with an OPTIONAL essay.

(09-09-2020, 08:24 AM)Dumber Wrote:

Very unnecessary requirements especially if one is an immigrant or not privileged.

What does being an immigrant or being privileged have to do with the admissions criteria?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(09-09-2020, 11:35 AM)MNomadic Wrote:

I'm not sure you're looking at the Illinois MS in Management that BJ posted. Here's the admissions page. 

4. References
Your two references should be from an academic and/or professional source, like a professor whose course you've taken or a supervisor/manager you've reported to in a role. An optional third reference may also be submitted.
6. Essay (Optional):

• If you do not believe that your test score or grades demonstrate your true capabilities of if there are any gaps in your academic career and work experience, which the Admissions Committee should know about.

• If would like to highlight something that you could not address in other areas of the application.

No where does it say you NEED to have 3 letters of recommendation from employers or that you have to hold management positions. Just 2 references and they can be from college sources or employment sources.

What does being an immigrant or being privileged have to do with the admissions criteria?

Everything, because the people who can least afford the expensive programs are now cornered into the more costly programs. It is why people of colour and underprivileged are not in many professions because they first have to gain employment (which is not easy for many for reasons beyond their control) and then be articled. This cheap program just disadvantaged many people who can least afford to be disadvantaged.
(09-09-2020, 01:10 PM)Dumber Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 11:35 AM)MNomadic Wrote: [quote pid='317766' dateline='1599657882']

Everything, because the people who can least afford the expensive programs are now cornered into the more costly programs. It is why people of colour and underprivileged are not in many professions because they first have to gain employment (which is not easy for many for reasons beyond their control) and then be articled. This cheap program just disadvantaged many people who can least afford to be disadvantaged.
[/quote]

Huh? I know many immigrants who worked had for wha they have including their education. Same with people born in the US. For most people, we have to work to achieve success. Things aren't handed to the vast majority of us just because we were born into a family and walk around with certain name. There's only one Prince Harry in the world and he gave up his title. He's still rich as hell. The US doesn't bow down to him like the UK. Most people here don't care who he is and he needs to stand in line for an ice cream just like the rest of us. No cutting the line because he's Prince Harry. Same holds true for just about everybody. Sure, there are the elite who are handed the world. Doesn't mean they have a clue what they're doing nor does it mean they're successful and respected.

I live a few blocks from a well to do college. It's over $60,000 a year to attend - just the tuition not room & board. Most people who go there are legacies. They go because their grandparent or parent went. Typically, they're not bright enough or rich enough to get into Harvard. By rich I mean you can buy a library via donation when your kid is a moron and doesn't know how to rub 2 sticks together. Many of these kids aren't bright. THey're just average. Sure they come from money. Many actually don't want to follow in the family businesses. It's interesting to watch those try to stand on their own and make their way through life. Those kids tend to stay here after graduation. Many have created successful businesses here in town. Some have failed, but they learned from the experience. 

They do have a nice scholarship program for those who have the grades. Minorities are highly encouraged to apply. There aren't a ton of minorities, but it's not a large school either. They still need to pay for the rest of their tuition bill after scholarship and financial aid. Then there's room and board. Most people couldn't afford these schools even minorities who are valedictorian can't without a full scholarship. The school gives one high school senior a full scholarship every year. It's rarely taken by the valedictorian or salutatorian. Not even always someone in the top 10 takes it. The high school here is a minority majority school.
(09-09-2020, 01:10 PM)Dumber Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 11:35 AM)MNomadic Wrote:

4. References
6. Essay (Optional):

The admissions criteria are comparable to most graduate programs and are actually quite lenient by not requiring a GMAT or GRE. I still don't see how the program's admissions process has discriminated against less privileged people or immigrants. If anything, it is a great opportunity for that demographic. If someone hasn't acquired ANY employment, they may still use academic sources for their referrals and since this is a graduate program, they will have had an entire undergraduate education to build relationships with their professors or other academic sources in order to have references.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I had a look at that program before , maybe it’s me but the courses look boring and entry level.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
This degree is for people who have no business experience. I didn't see anything saying that three professional letters are required.

The U of I business school has a TON of non-US based POC in their online programs.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 4 92 19 minutes ago
Last Post: freeloader
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 685 6 hours ago
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,792 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,087 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 492 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,281 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 365 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,631 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 655 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,489 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7