Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Evaluation - 2.67?
One of my transcripts just got evaluated and I'd appreciate some insight if anyone else has been here before. One of my universities was on a quarterly system, not semesters. So my 3 credit courses are coming in at 2 credits and my 4 and 5 credit courses are coming in at 2.67. 

I'll likely call to them once my other transcript is evaluated (I need to ask about a certain spot they filled over another) but has anyone had their credits come in like this before? Do they waive the last .23-1 credit or do I have to somehow fill those? Would I just have to fill them with gen ed or will those credits have to fall within the category that class went to - for example if the course filled Civic Engagement at only 2 credits would I then need to find 1 additional credit to meet that requirement?
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
TESU Link: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/T...Credit.cfm
Since you're on the quarter system and now on a 3 credit system, it goes as follows:
If your credits were earned on a quarter system, the following conversion applies:

2 quarter hours = 1.33 semester hours
3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours
4 quarter hours = 2.66 semester hours
5 quarter hours = 3.33 semester hours
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
They waive the last .23-1 unless it's in your Area of Study. Then they won't.

You generally have to ask for the waiver.

When it's waived, you still have to fill the credit with some elective.

(10-24-2017, 12:44 PM)Ideas Wrote: They waive the last .23-1 unless it's in your Area of Study. Then they won't.

You generally have to ask for the waiver.

When it's waived, you still have to fill the credit with some elective.

2 of the courses are in my UL AOS. So I have to find a minimum 2 credit course to fulfill the additional credits it seems. Blargh, was hoping to avoid that. 
I just need to call and ask, correct? No special form hidden somewhere on the website I need to fill out? Should I ask for the waiver immediately or wait until I'm enrolling for my Capstone (likely Dec/Jan) to do so?

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
You really don't need a waiver, they'll just indicate to you that you need a class to make up for it.
Depending on the degree (which I see you're going for the BALS) the concentration you're in.

If you're in, for instance, an English or History concentration, you just need to take 1 UL in that.
If you're using Shmoop or Study.com, take an extra UL course from them and you're done.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
They will accept those 2.67 courses as fulfilling a requirement, but they will not waive the missing credits themselves. You will still have to earn them as an elective. If the credits are missing from GenEds, then you will have to earn extra GenEd elective credits. If they are missing from the AOS, you will need extra AOS elective credits to cover.

For instance if you needed College Algebra in your GenEds, but your College Algebra was only 2.67 credits, the College Algebra requirement will be fulfilled, but you will still need an extra GenEd elective credit to fill in the missing 1/3 credit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • cookderosa, jsd
(10-24-2017, 01:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You really don't need a waiver, they'll just indicate to you that you need a class to make up for it.
Depending on the degree (which I see you're going for the BALS) the concentration you're in.

If you're in, for instance, an English or History concentration, you just need to take 1 UL in that.
If you're using Shmoop or Study.com, take an extra UL course from them and you're done.

I don't have a concentration. From what I understand you don't need one (I hope I'm right on this). The history course I took on study should come in as a UL and I have an anthropology course I transferred in that came in at UL as well. Strongly suspect my infant and child development course will be UL as well. That's all over the board so I don't think a concentration is possible unless I want to spend more time and money taking additional UL courses. 
All that said, I figure I still need to take an additional UL course. Because the transfers marked the courses down from 3 to 2 credits I'll only have 16 UL instead of 18 unless I take an extra course.

(10-24-2017, 01:58 PM)davewill Wrote: They will accept those 2.67 courses as fulfilling a requirement, but they will not waive the missing credits themselves. You will still have to earn them as an elective. If the credits are missing from GenEds, then you will have to earn extra GenEd elective credits. If they are missing from the AOS, you will need extra AOS elective credits to cover.

For instance if you needed College Algebra in your GenEds, but your College Algebra was only 2.67 credits, the College Algebra requirement will be fulfilled, but you will still need an extra GenEd elective credit to fill in the missing 1/3 credit.

Thank you for explaining that out for me! I appreciate it! Now I can alter my course plan to fill all this in better :-)

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 

Completed:

You can get a BALS without a concentration. They changed it a bit this past year, you used to have to take a certain number of credits in a small "concentration" of sorts, but they've done away with it.

For the specific requirements in the Gen Ed area, it should say something like this (my eval has this under the free 2cr Insurance Ethics course that fulfills the Ethics requirement): "!! Exception Requirement met;Underage added to GE Electives". I did not have to ask them to do this. You can have multiples of these, especially if you're switching from a quarter-based system. But, when all is said and done, you need 60cr total in the Gen Ed area - so any "waivers" you get will bump up the number of credits you need in the entire area. Easy to make up for sure.

Also, you need 18cr in your AOS. So if you have 17.5cr (for example), you will need to make up that .5cr somewhere. You must have that full 18cr, and they won't round up, or "waive" that requirement. If you haven't yet taken the free Insurance Ethics course, that's a great way to make up 2cr (assuming you have an Ethics course already done). One of the free TEEX course might work as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,858 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,462 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  New TESU evaluation and Shmoop equivalencies badooble 42 14,587 09-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Supermind
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,070 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,940 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,670 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,006 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,629 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Where can you find UL credit in STEM areas to test out of for credit miah 8 2,104 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Statistics credit transfer from study.com waterpaper 2 1,596 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jsh1138