Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Requirements?
Hey guys sorry if this is a dumb question, but when dealing with credits, like Gen Ed, are the credit requirements set in stone? For example, for General Management in TESU, it lists this as a credit path: BSBA Degree in General Management at Thomas Edison State University

I feel like the Gen. Ed and Electives are flexible, but the Professional Business Requirements and Area of Study aren't at all. Could I take a bunch of random CLEPs and stuff for my Gen. Ed, and then focus on getting the appropriate credits for A.O.S.?

Again, I know nothing, please be patient lol. Thanks.
The credit requirements are set in stone based on the catalog year you're enrolled it, but in many cases, particularly in gen ed, there are multiple options that will fulfill a specific credit requirement.

What are you having trouble with or concerned about completing?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
You're looking at it correctly.

For the Gen Ed's, it's more about an area of courses you need to take. For instance "Knowledge of Human Cultures" includes anything from the areas of the Humanities and Social Sciences. All kinds of courses will fit into that area (SocSci includes History, Criminal Justice, PoliSci, etc., while Humanities includes Communications, Art, Foreign Language, etc.). Here is a list (not all-inclusive) to give you an idea of what you can take: Thomas Edison State University | General Education - 2016 or After

In the Core, there are specific courses you need. For instance Principles of Finance is a required core course. There may be multiple ways to take that course (multiple providers, or other schools), but they want you to learn very specific information there.

For the AOS, there may be required courses (the concentrations all have some specific requirements), and then there may be electives that have to fit within the degree.

For the BSBA, there are usually multiple ways to take most of the requirements or electives, and we can help you put together a plan.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Just a few points:

1. The prefix of the course (LIT-100) is very important to consider. For example, a Nutrition class with a BIO- prefix will be classified as a science, but with a HEA- prefix would only be a free elective, even if it covered a lot of science.

2. In a similar vein, courses with developmental prefixes do not count for college credit, even if they have the same name as a TESU/ COSC/ EC course. So if you already have DEV-099 Intermediate Algebra, you will still have to take MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra again to get the credits.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:Just a few points:

1. The prefix of the course (LIT-100) is very important to consider. For example, a Nutrition class with a BIO- prefix will be classified as a science, but with a HEA- prefix would only be a free elective, even if it covered a lot of science.

2. In a similar vein, courses with developmental prefixes do not count for college credit, even if they have the same name as a TESU/ COSC/ EC course. So if you already have DEV-099 Intermediate Algebra, you will still have to take MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra again to get the credits.

And unless you know what the course will come in as at the school you want to go to, you are kind of at a loss. So, you need to come up with a better plan than "random CLEP's" because you need to know where they will fit before you spend the money.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:And unless you know what the course will come in as at the school you want to go to, you are kind of at a loss. So, you need to come up with a better plan than "random CLEP's" because you need to know where they will fit before you spend the money.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of doing. Just double checking.
dfrecore Wrote:You're looking at it correctly.

For the Gen Ed's, it's more about an area of courses you need to take. For instance "Knowledge of Human Cultures" includes anything from the areas of the Humanities and Social Sciences. All kinds of courses will fit into that area (SocSci includes History, Criminal Justice, PoliSci, etc., while Humanities includes Communications, Art, Foreign Language, etc.). Here is a list (not all-inclusive) to give you an idea of what you can take: Thomas Edison State University | General Education - 2016 or After

In the Core, there are specific courses you need. For instance Principles of Finance is a required core course. There may be multiple ways to take that course (multiple providers, or other schools), but they want you to learn very specific information there.

For the AOS, there may be required courses (the concentrations all have some specific requirements), and then there may be electives that have to fit within the degree.

For the BSBA, there are usually multiple ways to take most of the requirements or electives, and we can help you put together a plan.

Could you help? That'd be amazing, I've been trying to make a plan for weeks now.
Lazarus Wrote:Could you help? That'd be amazing, I've been trying to make a plan for weeks now.

Have you completed any courses yet? Do you have any credits to bring in? If so, you need to list them all.
dfrecore Wrote:Have you completed any courses yet? Do you have any credits to bring in? If so, you need to list them all.

I have 9 credits: 3 in Speech Communication, 3 in Introductory Statistics, and 3 in Principles of Sociology. I got these at a community college. I've been getting ready to take my CLEPs and take all those credits to TESU.
Lazarus Wrote:I have 9 credits: 3 in Speech Communication, 3 in Introductory Statistics, and 3 in Principles of Sociology. I got these at a community college. I've been getting ready to take my CLEPs and take all those credits to TESU.

Does it have to be CLEP's? Have you read about all of the different options available here (Saylor, Straighterline, Study.com, ALEKS, etc.)?

If you want to take a few CLEP's, you should take:
College Composition with Essay
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
College Algebra
American Government
Sociology
Microeconomics
Macroeconomics

I could go on, but these are all things that will fill specific requirements at TESU for the BSBA degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,585 Yesterday, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,968 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 259 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 750 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 703 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 487 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 542 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 333 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 651 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Universal Gen Ed Requirements rachel83az 2 350 08-16-2023, 10:21 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded