Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Language Testing Options
With ACTFL letting their ACE expire what other options have others here tried using. I'm aware of the New York testing and I think the University of Utah may have some tests.

I have found some Arabic Courses from the Islamic University but accreditation seems to be non-western and no ACE. I did find that TAL appears to still be available for Hebrew but they are hard to deal with. German, French, Spanish have CLEP and these are still valid.

I did find the following again and this could be really good.
Language Credit
The University of Utah grants credit to individuals who have learned a foreign language by immersing themselves in another culture via military service, Peace Corps duty, a religious mission, etc. There are two main ways this can be done via testing:

Avant and FLATS
https://testingcenter.utah.edu/students/...nguage.php
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • alab21
the only other exam I'm aware of that you haven't already identified is Advanced Placement. Though it is traditionally taken by high school students, any age can take it, and you do NOT have to take an AP class in order to take an AP exam.
(03-28-2019, 02:02 PM)cookderosa Wrote: the only other exam I'm aware of that you haven't already identified is Advanced Placement.  Though it is traditionally taken by high school students, any age can take it, and you do NOT have to take an AP class in order to take an AP exam.

If you want to use AP (which has more languages than CLEP), you need to first find a high school that will let you do it.  Since AP exams are all taken at the same days/times across the country, and all of those are during normal school hours, schools are allowed to say no to anyone (especially an adult) coming onto campus, even for an exam.  So, find your testing place first before committing to learning the language.

Also, you have to register ahead of time, as AP exams only given once a year.  The deadline for this year has passed, so you'd have to wait until next May to take the exam.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The issue with AP is that it only gets you 101 and 102 most of the time. With ACTFL they can get you 200 - 400 level credit and for languages that are critical for advanced standing in some Graduate degrees and also for language degrees. When I took my Mandarin test years ago I almost tested out of a whole AOS if I wanted to head in that direction. It's starting to look like the New York tests are the only UL credit options now and the others are helpful for the LL credit.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
(03-30-2019, 12:30 PM)vetvso Wrote: The issue with AP is that it only gets you 101 and 102 most of the time. With ACTFL they can get you 200 - 400 level credit and for languages that are critical for advanced standing in some Graduate degrees and also for language degrees. When I took my Mandarin test years ago I almost tested out of a whole AOS if I wanted to head in that direction. It's starting to look like the New York tests are the only UL credit options now and the others are helpful for the LL  credit.

AP is only LL (same as CLEP).  ACTFL OPI & WPT's were each worth up to 8UL/6LL, then got downgraded to 6UL/6LL in 2015, before they finally lost ACE recommendation - major bummer.  That was a fantastic, cheap and easy way to earn credits for someone already fluent in any number of languages.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-30-2019, 06:05 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 12:30 PM)vetvso Wrote: The issue with AP is that it only gets you 101 and 102 most of the time. With ACTFL they can get you 200 - 400 level credit and for languages that are critical for advanced standing in some Graduate degrees and also for language degrees. When I took my Mandarin test years ago I almost tested out of a whole AOS if I wanted to head in that direction. It's starting to look like the New York tests are the only UL credit options now and the others are helpful for the LL  credit.

AP is only LL (same as CLEP).  ACTFL OPI & WPT's were each worth up to 8UL/6LL, then got downgraded to 6UL/6LL in 2015, before they finally lost ACE recommendation - major bummer.  That was a fantastic, cheap and easy way to earn credits for someone already fluent in any number of languages.

I used it to test in Mandarin when I lived in Taiwan and went to University study. 14 credits in total and I should have done more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  State schools vs. other options MDela3 71 8,138 09-26-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Instead of RA which ones are my best NA Universities options?? cecilgambe7 22 4,458 08-26-2020, 12:45 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Options natshar 3 1,240 05-07-2020, 05:56 PM
Last Post: CassandraNolin
  No social work options for the big three indigoshuffle 5 1,744 02-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Last Post: davewill
  What are the current costs for the Big 3? Pelican 3 1,692 01-29-2019, 06:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore