Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DANTES-funded candidates on hold
So I heard from CLEP this morning that due to the government shutdown, DANTES-funded candidates will not be able to take their CLEP exams (unless they are retaking the exam as a self-funded candidate). No news from DSST, but I would assume the same applies.
I even heard from a friend that testing centers on military bases are being shut down.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Yes, they are as the on-base centers only deliver to DANTES-funded candidates. No testing until the shutdown is over at those test centers. Military candidates can register to take their exams at an off-base test center, but would need to register as a self-pay civilian in order to test.
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:Yes, they are as the on-base centers only deliver to DANTES-funded candidates. No testing until the shutdown is over at those test centers. Military candidates can register to take their exams at an off-base test center, but would need to register as a self-pay civilian in order to test.

That's not always true. Some bases where there a lots of civilians offer non-funded testing and are still operating. I just checked today, the one where I work is still open, I need one soon, so i might pay for it instead of waiting out the shutdown.
Intro to Computing - 67; Ethics in America - 53; Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 53; Principles of Management - 58; Lifespan Dev Psyc - 51; Human Resource Management - 46; Info Sys & comp Applications - 61; Principles of Supervision - 47; Human Cultural Geography - 51; Public Speaking - 55; College Mathmatics - 55; College Comp w/essay - 53; Technical Writing - 59;
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:Yes, they are as the on-base centers only deliver to DANTES-funded candidates. No testing until the shutdown is over at those test centers. Military candidates can register to take their exams at an off-base test center, but would need to register as a self-pay civilian in order to test.
Well, that particular testing center on a military base also let civilians test there—that's where I took my DSSTs, paying for them myself. But yes, I get what you're saying.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Vandalet Wrote:That's not always true. Some bases where there a lots of civilians offer non-funded testing and are still operating. I just checked today, the one where I work is still open, I need one soon, so i might pay for it instead of waiting out the shutdown.

It doesn't have to do with civilians being on the base, it has to do with the timing of the award of the contract to the testing center. Some contracts cross fiscal years, when they do, they are fully funded by the prior fiscal year. The test center on my base had their contract awarded mid September with FY13 funding. If your base contract was awarded 1 October 2013, then those contracts would use FY14 funds, which as we all know are currently not available.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:It doesn't have to do with civilians being on the base, it has to do with the timing of the award of the contract to the testing center. Some contracts cross fiscal years, when they do, they are fully funded by the prior fiscal year. The test center on my base had their contract awarded mid September with FY13 funding. If your base contract was awarded 1 October 2013, then those contracts would use FY14 funds, which as we all know are currently not available.

Thanks for the clarification. The why some are still open wasn’t the main concern, we were just warning people that there are some that are still operating since your wording made it sound definitive that none were.
Intro to Computing - 67; Ethics in America - 53; Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 53; Principles of Management - 58; Lifespan Dev Psyc - 51; Human Resource Management - 46; Info Sys & comp Applications - 61; Principles of Supervision - 47; Human Cultural Geography - 51; Public Speaking - 55; College Mathmatics - 55; College Comp w/essay - 53; Technical Writing - 59;
Sorry for the confusion. In our area, I am unaware of any test centers on base that are open to the general public (other than the civilians who actually work on the base). Again, in our area, these centers are listed on the CLEP website as "limited" which should mean you need some kind of connection with this base/test center in order to test there. There are a number of civilian employee categories which fall under the DANTES-funded label, too.

I think it is great that there are some military bases who have a test center open to the general public. I am guessing these are the rare ones.
Woohoo! Our testing center is back up and running, time to take the tests I've been studying for during the shutdown! On a side note, our center is starting the CLEP My Account requirement on November 1st.
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
Hold on... CLEP sent out a follow-up email to their announcement first thing this morning. DANTES-funded testing is NOT ready to resume after all. Testing is suspended pending guidance from the Secretary of Defense. I expect it to happen soon, but not today.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DANTES-funded??? roiyamu 4 1,134 09-29-2015, 04:57 AM
Last Post: roiyamu
  DANTES-funded Reminder BGSU_Alum_86 0 591 12-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Last Post: BGSU_Alum_86
  Social Sciences; Dantes SF47, HUMAN / CULTURAL GEOGRAPHY? scotchy 1 1,598 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Last Post: CLEP101
  Does Military pay for CLEP/DANTES online prep? BoomBastic 3 1,776 02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Marblex7