Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DBA: ROI and motivation?
(10-09-2023, 06:18 PM)Pats20 Wrote: This is one that I would consider if I decide to go that far.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/g...y-business

Under $40k. For PhD

It is only credited the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) .. Also, what is the duration? couldn't find it on the webpage.

(10-09-2023, 01:53 PM)sacredrain Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 11:39 AM)Duneranger Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 11:26 AM)sacredrain Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 10:49 AM)Duneranger Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 09:10 AM)sacredrain Wrote: This is not entirely true. There are plenty of small private colleges and universities that are hiring full time professors. It depends where one looks.Another option is to work in higher education administration.
Where? And are these tenured/visiting/associate roles? What's the salary range? Academia even at small colleges is insanely competitive. There are so many negative variables here versus the positive ROI.

I know people with T20 PhDs who can't find jobs beyond the adjunct or associate role making pennies. I'd be extremely surprised if an online doctorate would beat them out.
Here in NC there are many small universities offering full time faculty positions. Most are not tenured but full time. The salaries can be quite low around 70k usd to 80k usd to start. Usually at such locations, faculty are not pressured to do research. It really depends on the doctorate subject and the candidate when it comes to any type of faculty position. I serve on several hiring committees and usually we look for a combination of experience, education, personality, teaching methods, and references. So simply having a doctorate is not the only factor.

I have seen these sorts of positions, wouldn't a MBA suffice?  Many business schools have MBAs teaching. The question is ROI for a DBA

Usually these types of positions want a doctorate degree. I have only seen an MBA offered a full time instructor's position if the person has an MBA and certifications in hard to fill areas such as Finance, Accounting, or Economics. At the university where I currently work, we have a few master level full time instructors who are not tentured (despite offering tenure to doctorate holders), who have to go through the contract renewal process each year. These instructors are either working in the computer science department or in the areas I mentioned earlier. 

It is hard to say what a DBA ROI would be for you as its going to depend on your location, your experience, and what subject the DBA is in. I would suggest trying to land a few adjunct positions with your masters degree, this way your foot is in the door with a university or college and applying later if a position comes up that requires a doctorate degree. Another option is to look at full time online faculty positions. Universities such as WGU and Walden for example, all have full time instructors/professors.

I'm curious about the adjacent or remote part-time positions that someone can apply for, whether you still have a masters or got you DBA/PhD in business already. Any idea how to find colleges with open positions like that?
I was admitted to Jacksonville University for their AACSB Accredited DBA. I was also admitted to George Washington University for the Doctorate of Engineering in AI and Machine Learning. I turned both down for personal reasons but the biggest point being I do not intend on moving into academics full-time. I’d have to take out $70K+ in loans just to increase my Adjunct teaching pay by about $2,000/year. For me, that did not math out how I wanted.

Now, I do believe that there is more to it than just financial ROI such as personal satisfaction. For me though, the additional 3-5 years plus the extra money did not make sense.

I am enjoying going to work, teaching, and not worrying about exams, papers, homework, etc. to turn in. Smile
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • absamer
(10-10-2023, 09:54 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I was admitted to Jacksonville University for their AACSB Accredited DBA. I was also admitted to George Washington University for the Doctorate of Engineering in AI and Machine Learning. I turned both down for personal reasons but the biggest point being I do not intend on moving into academics full-time. I’d have to take out $70K+ in loans just to increase my Adjunct teaching pay by about $2,000/year. For me, that did not math out how I wanted.

Now, I do believe that there is more to it than just financial ROI such as personal satisfaction. For me though, the additional 3-5 years plus the extra money did not make sense.

I am enjoying going to work, teaching, and not worrying about exams, papers, homework, etc. to turn in. Smile
Good for you. Great job !

(10-10-2023, 12:57 AM)absamer Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 06:18 PM)Pats20 Wrote: This is one that I would consider if I decide to go that far.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/g...y-business

Under $40k. For PhD

It is only credited the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) .. Also, what is the duration? couldn't find it on the webpage.

(10-09-2023, 01:53 PM)sacredrain Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 11:39 AM)Duneranger Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 11:26 AM)sacredrain Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 10:49 AM)Duneranger Wrote: Where? And are these tenured/visiting/associate roles? What's the salary range? Academia even at small colleges is insanely competitive. There are so many negative variables here versus the positive ROI.

I know people with T20 PhDs who can't find jobs beyond the adjunct or associate role making pennies. I'd be extremely surprised if an online doctorate would beat them out.
Here in NC there are many small universities offering full time faculty positions. Most are not tenured but full time. The salaries can be quite low around 70k usd to 80k usd to start. Usually at such locations, faculty are not pressured to do research. It really depends on the doctorate subject and the candidate when it comes to any type of faculty position. I serve on several hiring committees and usually we look for a combination of experience, education, personality, teaching methods, and references. So simply having a doctorate is not the only factor.

I have seen these sorts of positions, wouldn't a MBA suffice?  Many business schools have MBAs teaching. The question is ROI for a DBA

Usually these types of positions want a doctorate degree. I have only seen an MBA offered a full time instructor's position if the person has an MBA and certifications in hard to fill areas such as Finance, Accounting, or Economics. At the university where I currently work, we have a few master level full time instructors who are not tentured (despite offering tenure to doctorate holders), who have to go through the contract renewal process each year. These instructors are either working in the computer science department or in the areas I mentioned earlier. 

It is hard to say what a DBA ROI would be for you as its going to depend on your location, your experience, and what subject the DBA is in. I would suggest trying to land a few adjunct positions with your masters degree, this way your foot is in the door with a university or college and applying later if a position comes up that requires a doctorate degree. Another option is to look at full time online faculty positions. Universities such as WGU and Walden for example, all have full time instructors/professors.

I'm curious about the adjacent or remote part-time positions that someone can apply for, whether you still have a masters or got you DBA/PhD in business already. Any idea how to find colleges with open positions like that?
True. The accreditation probably isn’t the best.
(10-10-2023, 09:54 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I was admitted to Jacksonville University for their AACSB Accredited DBA. I was also admitted to George Washington University for the Doctorate of Engineering in AI and Machine Learning. I turned both down for personal reasons but the biggest point being I do not intend on moving into academics full-time. I’d have to take out $70K+ in loans just to increase my Adjunct teaching pay by about $2,000/year. For me, that did not math out how I wanted.

Happy for you! Wink

How do you find an online adjunct teaching positions?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need motivation and help focusing studyandpass5 18 3,579 08-27-2017, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Lacking Motivation rlw74 12 1,930 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Motivation, Time Management and Expectations. CGaboury 8 1,368 09-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Finished my BA in Liberal Studies through TESC. Motivation! shanekarp 12 2,106 12-27-2015, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Westerner
  BURNT OUT! - Where can I buy some motivation! soliloquy 22 2,174 12-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Togas
  Dealing with lack of motivation and discouragement - tips? Aubs 9 1,605 11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Last Post: DSH2007
  Here's some motivation for you guys and gals johnysc430 13 2,660 01-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Last Post: PatsGirl1