Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DBA then PHD Top Up
(04-11-2024, 03:50 PM)FrHaseKopf Wrote: I also plan to enrol at South College DBA, but i try to do one term for 9 courses, then transfer to CTU for a PhD. I hope its doable!

If I may ask, what's the benefit to transferring rather than graduating and then doing the CTU PhD in addition? Have you verified from CTU that you can transfer in as ABD?
(04-11-2024, 03:50 PM)FrHaseKopf Wrote: I also plan to enrol at South College DBA, but i try to do one term for 9 courses, then transfer to CTU for a PhD. I hope its doable!

I don't see how this plan would work. DBA's do not require the same courses as a PhD. Why not just complete the DBA? Seems silly to get through 9 courses and bail on the last one. It's rare for someone to get through 9 courses at SC from what I have seen on social media. Remember, you're only seeing a handful of people on social media versus the number in the program who aren't bragging about finishing 34394858 courses in an hour.

I understand why you want to do that. But that mean you have to finish your 150 to 200 pages written for the dissertation as well as other 9 courses within 6 months. If you really want to do that, then basically doing assignment and writting dissertation is your full time job plus over time everyday. 
My plan is to do 1 course per month. Then the 9th paper for 2 month. Lastly the dissertation for 3 to 6 month. If I do have any remaining months, then I will do the postdoctoral. With that, I'm only going to do work part time job.
FrHaseKopf, that one term would be $6K, if you do one UK level 8 diploma, it'll be just 1K for the cheapest one... For transfer purposes, it won't be equivalent, but may be very close to getting you to the half way mark for the DBA and you can do a top-up or transfer to a DBA that accepts it.

I've mentioned before the UK Level 8 Diploma is the first part of a two part series, a top-up/transfer is the final part. This can potentially be better as you can transfer these credits and the top-up to CTU or another program that doesn't require ABD as you're not doing an ABD completion program.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The reason for my pathway is that I saw in the Degreeinfo forum that someone had a DBA from france and then transferred to CTU for PhD in AI without problem. So I assume that CTU is generous in taking in DBA credits, then I just need to finish the thesis at CTU, which only requires 100+ pages, seems super easy for a PHD degree.
The benefit of South College DBA is that you can always pause the subscription and go back. So, after I finish all the coursework (8-9 courses) in first term, I will apply for candidacy at CTU. If CTU accepts, then CTU. If not, I can still choose to continue with South College.

Regarding Level 8 cert, this also sounds interesting. Because I saw the program with Westcliff DBA they also take level 8 + DBA top up. But I feel that with South College I have better chance for transfer to CTU. The transfer credit policy in CTU says that if you have doctoral level credits from US colleges they will take up to 42 credits, but if you have from European unis which are not credit-based, it might take longer to finish at CTU.

So I'm not sure how WES will evaluate level 8 cert and how many credits will CTU accept from that...It's a gamble

Oh and some additional info about South DBA:

the disseration is also 100-150 pages, so really doable as doctoral level. And they only allow you to use existing dataset, which means you can probably only do a quantatitive approach. The reason for that is, this approach is much faster than qualitative thesis where you have to do interviews, surveys, etc which takes another few months.

Thats probably how some people are even close to finish it in one term as I saw someone finished all 9 coursework at month 3, then the rest 3 months for thesis.

I know that only a few people maybe able to finish in 2 terms, but then I also researched online for the assignments, someone posted something in Coursehero, I feel the summatives are also managable, like a case study then you do a 15 pages writeup including intro and references. In total prob. 150 assignments, but they seem to be at MBA level not very difficult
(04-11-2024, 11:59 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: ...
I've mentioned before the UK Level 8 Diploma is the first part of a two part series, a top-up/transfer is the final part.  This can potentially be better as you can transfer these credits and the top-up to CTU or another program that doesn't require ABD as you're not doing an ABD completion program.

Hi BJcheung77,

Your plan to take the Level 8 Diploma before taking a doctorate interest me, since it can potentially save a lot of money. But do you have any idea of which UK university accept the Level 8 Diploma?

Also, which level 8 diploma do you think is offered by a reputable organization? So far I only think that the Chartered Management Institute (CMI)'s level 8 is the most reputable one. 

As yet I only saw University of Huddersfield's DBA program which stated that they are official partner with the CMI, and that their DBA is accredited to the CMI level 8 award Strategic Direction and Leadership. (I'm still wondering if this also means taking CMI Level 8 Award can gain access to their DBA.) But too bad their DBA is not an online learning one.
CapTech doesn't have an ABD completion program, so you might as well finish the DBA. I'm still not understanding the value of a CapTech PhD over a DBA unless you're earning the PhD in a different field.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ss20ts
(04-12-2024, 01:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: CapTech doesn't have an ABD completion program, so you might as well finish the DBA. I'm still not understanding the value of a CapTech PhD over a DBA unless you're earning the PhD in a different field.

a STEM PhD sounds always better than DBA, in my opinion
(04-12-2024, 02:58 PM)FrHaseKopf Wrote:
(04-12-2024, 01:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: CapTech doesn't have an ABD completion program, so you might as well finish the DBA. I'm still not understanding the value of a CapTech PhD over a DBA unless you're earning the PhD in a different field.

Then get a STEM PhD! A DBA isn't the same thing and you know it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • sanantone
(04-12-2024, 02:58 PM)FrHaseKopf Wrote:

Do you have a master's degree in a STEM field? If CapTech will let you earn a PhD in a STEM field you have no graduate education in, then I'd have to question the value of their degrees. Writing one American-length dissertation on aeronautical engineering is not going to make you an expert in the field. You'd probably have less knowledge than someone with a bachelor's degree in engineering. 

While some CapTech graduates have landed tenure-track positions with the DSc in Cybersecurity, CapTech hires a lot of their own alumni. I've never seen a school hire so many of their own graduates. They also have their own academic journal. I don't know if this is true, but rumor has it that some of their students have met their PhD by publication requirements by publishing in the school journal. In a couple of their programs, you don't even need to publish three articles in high-impact journals in lieu of a dissertation. You can present at an international conference in lieu of one or two of the articles.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P