Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DRAMATIC CLEP Stories?
I'm working on a homemade documentary series about non-traditional approaches to college. Does anyone have a dramatic story about passing a CLEP/DSST/etc. exam? 

Maybe like it was really hard to study for; you were 100% sure you were going to fail; or if you failed, you'd have to set your plans back? Maybe a test you had to pass that meant a lot to you? 

I'd love to hear a good credit-by-exam story.
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but here's my story with the medical terminology TECEP:

This exam at TESU is commonly used and recommended by members of this forum for the purpose of obtaining enrolled status and locking in the academic catalog year. All you really need to do to be enrolled and lock the catalog is register, but I didn't want to throw my ticket away. Since I have the (mis)fortune of being a very experienced user of the medical system, I decided to give it a shot. I was decently comfortable with the sample questions and am generally an excellent multiple-choice test taker, so I just went in without any significant studying.

I had used the RPNow/ProctorNow remote proctoring system through ASU EA a few times before successfully. It just takes a few minutes to download the program, start it up, and do a room scan. It's asynchronous, so the exam can be taken at any time without an appointment.

The remote proctoring system used by TESU, ProctorU, is very different. It's a live arrangement where some person in a call center on the other side of the world controls your computer and monitors you in real time. Annoyingly, you are required to book an appointment slot. While slots a few days in advance are free, sooner slots can be up to $12 in additional fees. The problem is, I have a medical condition that is very unpredictable. I have no way of knowing for sure that I will be able to function and sit for an exam in a few days time. Thus, I have to wait for an immediate slot to open up and pay the extra fee. The software, setup, and process is nowhere near as slick as RPNow. There's several different windows that you need to open up and keep running. The whole process was a dumpster fire, and I had substantial doubt about whether or not I would even get to take the exam. At one point, the proctor accidentally told me to close the ProctorU tab, necessitating much of the process to be started over again. The proctor couldn't get their monitor login to work on TESU's site. There was a lot of waiting involved. Overall, it took three times longer to get started and logged in as it actually took me to take the exam! In the end I passed with an 80%, but with a lot of stress.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
Most of mine have been very boring and straightforward but I do have one... has to do with an extreme time crunch, getting left in a foreign country, having no visa or degree, and clep being a lynchpin for it all falling into place... can PM or skype chat if you're interested.
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

I had very similar things happen with my TECEP, right down to the monitor not being able to login. But with the added fun that there was something going on with TESU as well so I wasn't (initially) able to log in either, even after double-checking my password. I don't know how the heck I managed to pass that test.
(07-15-2020, 01:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I had very similar things happen with my TECEP,  right down to the monitor not being able to login. But with the added fun that there was something going on with TESU as well so I wasn't (initially) able to log in either, even after double-checking my password. I don't know how the heck I managed to pass that test.

Oh yeah, this happened to me too. When the monitor couldn't get his login to work he had me try logging out and using different browsers and other various things. But then I couldn't log in to TESU again and was getting this different login page.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • rachel83az
(07-14-2020, 10:32 PM)lillingworth Wrote: Most of mine have been very boring and straightforward but I do have one... has to do with an extreme time crunch, getting left in a foreign country, having no visa or degree, and clep being a lynchpin for it all falling into place... can PM or skype chat if you're interested.

I will probably hit you up as things start moving forward. Thanks!
Hmm... collegehacked, just wondering... you wouldn't happen to be a TESU grad would you?
Did you graduate with Bachelors that only cost you $7500 in total? Which year did you grad?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hi! Long time lurker here but made an account to answer:

I remember when I took my first CLEP Test - it was mid-January after Christmas Break. I took the Biology test and scored in the 60s with minimal studying! The feeling that I had was intense - I kept thinking "holy crap, did I really just receive 6 credit hours for free just like that?!" After that test, I developed an addiction to testing out of classes; I took the American Government, Analyzing Literature, and Technical Writing DSST test all within in a span of about three weeks.

It was insane to me that my friends were taking, for example, a literature class with 3 hours of lectures every week for a semester on top of a bunch of assignments just to receive the same credit that I did with 15 minutes of studying before walking into the test room. I feel that me finding out about the CLEP Test has really changed my destiny!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Intensiti's post:
  • rachel83az
(07-16-2020, 01:54 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm... collegehacked, just wondering... you wouldn't happen to be a TESU grad would you?  
Did you graduate with Bachelors that only cost you $7500 in total?  Which year did you grad?

Yep, that's me. How'd you find me?

(07-26-2020, 05:08 PM)Intensiti Wrote: Hi! Long time lurker here but made an account to answer:

I remember when I took my first CLEP Test - it was mid-January after Christmas Break. I took the Biology test and scored in the 60s with minimal studying! The feeling that I had was intense - I kept thinking "holy crap, did I really just receive 6 credit hours for free just like that?!" After that test, I developed an addiction to testing out of classes; I took the American Government, Analyzing Literature, and Technical Writing DSST test all within in a span of about three weeks.

It was insane to me that my friends were taking, for example, a literature class with 3 hours of lectures every week for a semester on top of a bunch of assignments just to receive the same credit that I did with 15 minutes of studying before walking into the test room. I feel that me finding out about the CLEP Test has really changed my destiny!

That's awesome!
(07-27-2020, 03:13 PM)collegehacked Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 01:54 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm... collegehacked, just wondering... you wouldn't happen to be a TESU grad would you?  
Did you graduate with Bachelors that only cost you $7500 in total?  Which year did you grad?

(07-26-2020, 05:08 PM)Intensiti Wrote: Hi! Long time lurker here but made an account to answer:

That's awesome!

I got a story. I made a plan one summer to graduate with my associates while in high school. I plan on taking a clep on month. I was killing it. To get my associates I had to pass like 12 cleps. I pass each one by the skin of my teeth. Except one....Spanish I score a 49 the first time(was really sick and didn't study) i and ti wait three months. Time was ticking as graudtion deadlines was a week after the day i could retest. I also didn't study during the 3 months in between because I was working overtime while going to high school and my cc. My plan on graduation was coming to a screeching halt. I already told everyone I was going ti graduate. Time flew by and I had to test, I was nervous. My headphones didn't work right nad I wasn't feeling good. I was guessing on half the questions. Time was running out. Than BAM all of sudden my worries were gone. My knowledge of high school Spanish kick in and I was feeling great about the second half. The clock winding down. I didnt have time to back track weong questions. Crap. I kept going praying answering and sweating all at once. I answer the last question right when I run out of time. This is it I thought cant get any worse...I click report scores and I SCORE A 50!!!!!!! I jump up and yell pumping my arms with glee. I didnt get graudation due to covid but man I didnt care all i did was feel good man.

(07-27-2020, 10:34 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 03:13 PM)collegehacked Wrote:

That's awesome!

I got a story. I made a plan one summer to graduate with my associates while in high school. I plan on taking a clep on month. I was killing it. To get my associates I had to pass like 12 cleps. I pass each one by the skin of my teeth. Except one....Spanish I score a 49 the first time(was really sick and didn't study) i and ti wait three months. Time was ticking as graudtion deadlines was a week after the day i could retest. I also didn't study during the 3 months in between because I was working overtime while going to high school and my cc. My plan on graduation was coming to a screeching halt. I already told everyone I was going ti graduate. Time flew by and I had to test, I was nervous. My headphones didn't work right nad I wasn't feeling good. I was guessing on half the questions. Time was running out. Than BAM all of sudden my worries were gone. My knowledge of high school Spanish kick in and I was feeling great about the second half. The clock winding down. I didnt have time to back track weong questions. Crap. I kept going praying answering and sweating all at once. I answer the last question right when I run out of time. This is it I thought cant get any worse...I click report scores and I SCORE A 50!!!!!!! I jump up and yell pumping my arms with glee. I didnt get graudation due to covid but man I didnt care all i did was feel good man.
sorry for wording typing on mobile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Scores Change from 20 years to 10 natshar 3 170 3 hours ago
Last Post: cannoda
  CLEP transcript question NOX 3 98 Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can CLEP, SDC, Sophia be considered Education Credit Expenses? bruh 1 121 04-13-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CLEP Economics marinereef 3 267 04-05-2024, 01:46 PM
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 207 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 531 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 892 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 570 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 733 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 466 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill