Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST Biz Ethics UL vs SL Biz Ethics LL? etc.
Is there any advantage to taking the DSST Business Ethics (UL) over Straighterline or Study.com (LL) version? If I'm not mistaken, though the DSST is earmarked as UL, they all transfer to TESU as LL credit anyway.

I have the same question for World Religions vs Intro to Religion, and any other similar situations where all versions transfer in as LL.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
straighterline would probably be cheaper but, that depends on your testing center's fee structure. Looking at what cleps and dssts you've taken you could probably take that business ethics dsst cold and pass.
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - in process

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 1 user Likes withrown's post:
  • SCYankee
(02-26-2020, 03:24 PM)withrown Wrote: straighterline would probably be cheaper but, that depends on your testing center's fee structure. Looking at what cleps and dssts you've taken you could probably take that business ethics dsst cold and pass.

Thanks. SL is cheaper for sure, but then again DSST offers the option of being finished in about an hour (taking the test). And if I can pass it, it may be worth a few extra bucks to get it out of the way all at once.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the DSST (Biz Ethics, World Religions, etc.) being marked as UL credit, though. Does any school actually transfer it in as UL? And even if they did, would that matter anyway?
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
COSC will take business ethics as UL but, world religion would be LL. COSC still awards UL for a decent chunk of dsst exams though. check out the link below for the full list.

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...s_9.19.pdf
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
(02-26-2020, 04:50 PM)withrown Wrote: COSC will take business ethics as UL but, world religion would be LL. COSC still awards UL for a decent chunk of dsst exams though. check out the link below for the full list.

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...s_9.19.pdf

Great link. I wonder about a school like Liberty, though. I'm not sure how else to find out except to call. Do you know if Universities outside of the Big 3 would transfer any DSSTs as UL? What does the grapevine say?
Working towards:
It really varies by school. there are two B & M schools here in bham and both offer some upper level credit for those dsst exams. It you check their websites there is usually a list of what they accept in the same area as the clep exam equivalencies. Be forewarned that some schools don't know what the heck a dsst is.
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 1 user Likes withrown's post:
  • SCYankee
(02-27-2020, 08:01 AM)withrown Wrote: Be forewarned that some schools don't know what the heck a dsst is.

Isn't that something? We're in the know, and a lot of schools haven't even caught up yet. I think it's the smart ones that are evolving with the times.
Working towards:
First, be aware that the Business Ethics & Society DSST exam was downgraded to LL back in June of 2017. Some of the schools that are still giving it UL credit may not have checked, and so still have outdated info that they may rescind if it comes to them and they find out that it's LL.

Second, the only reason to take an UL course over a similar LL one is if you're actually gaining something from it. For instance, at TESU, (assuming it was UL through ACE), this is probably not a course they will let you use in the AOS/concentration, so there's zero point in taking it - the UL doesn't do anything for you. At COSC/EC, where you need 30cr of UL, and only 18cr of UL is required in the major, if you can use it to meet your ethics requirement, then it kills 2 birds with 1 stone. At LU, I this it's similar to TESU in having all UL only in the major, so this might or might not be useful.

I'd be careful of using outdated info (even from the school's website) to make your decisions. LU is especially egregious in their posting REALLY old info - I can tell it hasn't been updated in YEARS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-27-2020, 02:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, be aware that the Business Ethics & Society DSST exam was downgraded to LL back in June of 2017.  Some of the schools that are still giving it UL credit may not have checked, and so still have outdated info that they may rescind if it comes to them and they find out that it's LL.

Second, the only reason to take an UL course over a similar LL one is if you're actually gaining something from it.  For instance, at TESU, (assuming it was UL through ACE), this is probably not a course they will let you use in the AOS/concentration, so there's zero point in taking it - the UL doesn't do anything for you.  At COSC/EC, where you need 30cr of UL, and only 18cr of UL is required in the major, if you can use it to meet your ethics requirement, then it kills 2 birds with 1 stone.  At LU, I this it's similar to TESU in having all UL only in the major, so this might or might not be useful.

I'd be careful of using outdated info (even from the school's website) to make your decisions.  LU is especially egregious in their posting REALLY old info - I can tell it hasn't been updated in YEARS.

Your expertise is always appreciated. Thanks.
Working towards:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP Environmental Ethics dbwdb 1 628 11-01-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,396 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Quick/cheap option for Ethics? Insert Name 4 738 07-22-2022, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,151 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,081 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,659 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  DSST Principles of Public Speaking MrsIrie 12 2,831 09-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Last Post: momofminis
  Ethical Guidelines for Insurance Professionals (Ethics 311) nomaduser 2 769 08-24-2020, 03:44 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  The Institutes Ethics Dowew 14 2,928 06-15-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  DSST World Religion Exam HELP hjborn@yahoo.com 4 1,326 06-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: hjborn@yahoo.com