Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST Principles of Public Speaking
Not finding information about the exact format of the public speaking part of this test.  I understand that you are given 10 min. to draft an outline and then 3-5 to audio record the speech.  Is the outline done on paper?  Or is it done on computer?  Does the outline get submitted as part of the evaluation?  Thanks if anyone knows this.  Smile
(02-14-2018, 01:23 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: Not finding information about the exact format of the public speaking part of this test.  I understand that you are given 10 min. to draft an outline and then 3-5 to audio record the speech.  Is the outline done on paper?  Or is it done on computer?  Does the outline get submitted as part of the evaluation?  Thanks if anyone knows this.  Smile

I really like DSST exams, but I would avoid this one if possible. It was such a headache for me. First, it was difficult to find a testing center who offered this one, so I had to drive a long distance (and the center I went to vowed they wouldn't be giving this one again after my experience). Then the computer speech part messed up, and I waited for the longest time while they were calling for tech help. It never worked. Finally, I had to drive back to the testing center weeks later and finish the speech on a cassette tape (who uses those anymore?). I did end up passing the test.

So something like Straighterline's Intro to Communication is a much better option if you can do it that way.

Sorry for not answering your question, but good luck with whatever you end up using.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
If you end up taking the DSST, confirm in advance that the testing center you're wanting to use offers it - not all do.

Study.com has an option, as does the TECEP and Davar.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the feedback.  We were at the DSST testing center last month & overheard that someone was there for the Public Speaking one, so they definitely offer it.  We thought we'd give it a go since you just have to do one very short speech.  The test part seems pretty easy, too.  There is just so little info about how they conduct the audio part.  Is there a visible timer?  Is it pencil/paper or computer generated?  Do they look at the outline you prep, or is just the audio component scored?  If it is a disaster, we'll try the other options.
(02-15-2018, 12:23 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: Thanks for the feedback.  We were at the DSST testing center last month & overheard that someone was there for the Public Speaking one, so they definitely offer it.  We thought we'd give it a go since you just have to do one very short speech.  The test part seems pretty easy, too.  There is just so little info about how they conduct the audio part.  Is there a visible timer?  Is it pencil/paper or computer generated?  Do they look at the outline you prep, or is just the audio component scored?  If it is a disaster, we'll try the other options.

Don't waste your time...they fail more people then they pass..  Stick with straigherline or Study .com//Its cheaper and easier in the long run.
(02-14-2018, 01:23 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: Not finding information about the exact format of the public speaking part of this test.  I understand that you are given 10 min. to draft an outline and then 3-5 to audio record the speech.  Is the outline done on paper?  Or is it done on computer?  Does the outline get submitted as part of the evaluation?  Thanks if anyone knows this.  Smile

Go with study.com, much less of a headache. But if you do end up taking the dsst, check post # 44 out https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...SST?page=5
I just took this one last week.  Below is a re-post of my comment in the subscription only-area, but hopefully it'll help answer some questions.  I had a hard time finding posts that explain the whole process step-by-step.  Testing centers can be different, but here's my experience:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I just took this exam today at my testing center in Portland, Oregon. I want to layout as much detail as possible, since some items have changed since others have posted their experiences.

If you have any experience with public speaking or literary devices, you'll do fine on the multiple choice portion. This is the first DSST I've taken that I felt was worded clearly and fairly. I completed it in about 30 minutes with a score of 450.

Since my background includes a lot of writing and public speaking, I studied minimally for the multiple choice portion -- about 2 hours total. My materials included:
  • An old Mastering the DSST Volume 2 pdf (found by Googling)
  • The guide in post 45 - thank you!
Studying for the Speech Portion
For the speech portion, I looked up about 40 different controversial topics, and wrote-out 3 quick bullets outlining a stance on each one. This was great practice. I also practiced writing six timed speeches and delivering them, using topics provided by my husband. I highly recommend you practice using a 10-minute writing limit. You'll be more than prepared when you have more wiggle room on the clock during test day. I used the 3-point outline mentioned by others.

Introduction (30 seconds)
  • Introduce self
  • Introduce topic
  • State thesis, including 3 supporting 'reasons' for your postition.
Reason 1 (1 minute)
  • Introduce the point
  • State the point
  • Connect it to your thesis
Reason 2 (1 minute)
  • Introduce the point
  • State the point
Reason 3 (1 minute)
  • Introduce the point
  • State the point
Conclusion (30 seconds)
  • Transition to conclusion 
  • Re-emphasize the importance of the topic
  • * Optional story or hypothetical
  • Restate the thesis/reasons
* I highly recommend having a quick hypothetical story on stand-by to include at the end of your speech. This can be used if you notice that you're under 3 minutes. On the flip-side, if you're close to 5 minutes, you can scrap it without derailing the rest of your speech. Make up a story, or state why the subject is connected to you on a personal level. 

I did not use fake statistics or sources, since I've heard mixed opinions on whether these would be accepted. The scoring mentions nothing regarding citing of sources, so I decided to play it safe.

My Test-Day Experience
  • When you get to the testing center computer, you'll have the choice to purchase Public Speaking I (Multiple Choice Portion), or Public Speaking Part II (Speech Portion). Don't worry, you won't be charged twice. Once you pay for and pass Part I, the speech portion is free.
  • I took the multiple choice portion in the same room as other test-takers. It was longer than expected -- 100 questions. However, I had two hours to complete it. I finished in 30 minutes. I received my on-screen score immediately.
  • Once the quiz was completed, I flagged down the proctor, and she took me to a different room for Part II.
  • The speech portion was conducted on a computer in a separate office. It took a little tweaking and a call to IT to fix an audio recording issue. (Prometric provides an equipment test screen to ensure the computer is recording properly before the exam starts.) But they figured it out, and I was free to begin the test.
  • I was given a piece of blank paper and a pencil. 
  • Once you click "Begin" a 20 minute timer starts. The left side of the screen features the prompt. The right side of the screen has the "Record/Stop/Playback" controls. Note that these controls are identical to the  ones that were featured on the equipment test screen.
  • You have 20 minutes to write and deliver a 3-5 minute speech. How you use that time is up to you. They recommend leaving yourself 5 minutes to review your audio clip, but this is a waste of time because you can't change anything anyway. Use 14 minutes for your writing, then the remaining time for your speech. 
  • A grey box will pop-up when you have 5 minutes left.
  • Once you click the record button, an additional timer appears above it that counts up to 5 minutes, starting at 0:00. 
  • My speech was about 3.5 minutes. I had about a minute leftover, which I used playback a bit of the audio to ensure it recorded.
Feedback
  • 15 minutes is absolutely not enough time to write the kind of speech they're looking for. Especially because the topics can be completely foreign to the student. This a test of handwriting speed and performance under pressure, more than anything else. Even if they extended the time by 5 minutes, it would help tremendously and probably provide a more realistic material for evaluation.
  • Requiring students to hand-write their speeches/notes is antiquated and laborsome. It doesn't add any measurable value to the process, and slows down speech production time significantly. You're at a distinct disadvantage if you're a slow handwriter. Prometric should consider giving students a blank field to type notes into instead.
I'll report back once I receive my speech score, but I feel good about it.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
[-] The following 2 users Like greencouch's post:
  • Murdockb, rachel83az
Update.  I will copy/paste this to the specific exam board as well since finding current feedback on the DSST Public Speaking exam was so challenging and this was one of the more intimidating tests for us to try.

My daughter (15 yrs) took this test on 2/27 in Portland, OR.  She had zero experience w/ public speaking and used "Ace the CLEP" book to study for the written portion of the test.  She took the 3 Peterson's practice tests (scores = 68%, 77%, 68%) & the DSST practice test (74%).  She scored 461 on the actual DSST exam.

For the oral portion, we used the tips from free-clep-prep.com.  She recorded about 3 different practice speeches each day for 2 weeks under the same time limitations.  This was crucial for someone who started the preparation season like a deer in the headlights.  By the end of two weeks, she was having fun and had a real feel for how the actual exam experience would be like.

At the testing center, she was in a room w/ just the proctor for the oral portion.  She was given 20 minutes to manage however she wished.  The timer was visible, and a headset w/ mic was used to record her speech.  She had time at the end to listen to most of what she recorded.  Her topic for the exam dealt with US military foreign policy, one that would have freaked me out, but her knowledge of world history was adequate to have supporting points for her opinion.  She left the exam feeling like she "sold it."  We waited 2 weeks plus 2 days to learn that she did indeed pass. 

Hope this is helpful to someone out there deciding whether or not to give this DSST a go.  We are glad we did.
[-] The following 2 users Like stampbuyme's post:
  • jsd, rachel83az
(03-19-2018, 01:24 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: Update.  I will copy/paste this to the specific exam board as well since finding current feedback on the DSST Public Speaking exam was so challenging and this was one of the more intimidating tests for us to try.

My daughter (15 yrs) took this test on 2/27 in Portland, OR.  She had zero experience w/ public speaking and used "Ace the CLEP" book to study for the written portion of the test.  She took the 3 Peterson's practice tests (scores = 68%, 77%, 68%)  & the DSST practice test (74%).  She scored 461 on the actual DSST exam.

For the oral portion, we used the tips from free-clep-prep.com.  She recorded about 3 different practice speeches each day for 2 weeks under the same time limitations.  This was crucial for someone who started the preparation season like a deer in the headlights.  By the end of two weeks, she was having fun and had a real feel for how the actual exam experience would be like.

At the testing center, she was in a room w/ just the proctor for the oral portion.  She was given 20 minutes to manage however she wished.  The timer was visible, and a headset w/ mic was used to record her speech.  She had time at the end to listen to most of what she recorded.  Her topic for the exam dealt with US military foreign policy, one that would have freaked me out, but her knowledge of world history was adequate to have supporting points for her opinion.  She left the exam feeling like she "sold it."  We waited 2 weeks plus 2 days to learn that she did indeed pass. 

Hope this is helpful to someone out there deciding whether or not to give this DSST a go.  We are glad we did.

Wow! I was not expecting a topic that you needed a great deal of specific knowledge other than the knowledge of how to formulate and deliver an effective persuasive speech. Was it a general like, "should we do preemptive strikes" or specific like "What do you feel about US policy with Country X" ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,439 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Masters in Public Admin Mike Williams 11 1,778 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: teejayb
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 638 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,452 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  From 3 Struggling Public Colleges, a New University Emerges LevelUP 2 755 08-24-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: allvia
  DeSantis signs bill limiting tenure at Florida public universities Pats20 34 3,020 07-16-2022, 04:36 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Arizona Families who bail on public school will get $7,000 per kid smartdegree 9 1,434 07-02-2022, 04:19 PM
Last Post: smartdegree
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,177 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,105 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,690 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az