Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help on a Doctorate in Psychology
While there are states that don't require APA accreditation for licensure, you really limit yourself by not having an APA accredited degree, as almost everyone requires it. Most individuals I see in non-APA programs are individuals who already have a masters in psychology, and are professors who want their Ph.D where APA accreditation may not matter, and those who are uninformed about what APA accreditation is all together. Theres so many options out their that limiting yourself to a non-APA degree is just not logical. Most internship sites require APA accreditation, as well as post-docs, and many jobs. The only online school thats APA accredited is Fielding Graduate University. A friend of mine received his Ph.D from there, and started making $100.00 an hour right after graduation, but it's a totally expensive program.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
Exfactor Wrote:While there are states that don't require APA accreditation for licensure, you really limit yourself by not having an APA accredited degree, as almost everyone requires it. Most individuals I see in non-APA programs are individuals who already have a masters in psychology, and are professors who want their Ph.D where APA accreditation may not matter, and those who are uninformed about what APA accreditation is all together. Theres so many options out their that limiting yourself to a non-APA degree is just not logical. Most internship sites require APA accreditation, as well as post-docs, and many jobs. The only online school thats APA accredited is Fielding Graduate University. A friend of mine received his Ph.D from there, and started making $100.00 an hour right after graduation, but it's a totally expensive program.

Seems like FGU is my only option, can you tell me how long it took your friend to go from the Bachelor level to Doctorate level?
johnjaxs Wrote:I never said that I didn't have to be licensed and I stated that I would be pursuing a license. Plus the surgeon general would require a license to be practicing in the army. My comment above is to show that Sanantone is most likely correct in assuming that the program would most likely also have to be APA accredited.

Seems APA or CPA would be a must, guessing that leaves me with FGU as the only option anyway I want to thank all you who took their time to help me.

I am guessing that, were there another option - such as Psy D, rather than the PhD in clinical psychology that Fielding offers (I just did their webinar - intro to the whole program- last night and will attend their post-bach cert in clinical psych webinar on Dec 7) for distance learning, you'd already have found and mentioned it, here, but, just fishing around, in case there's ANY other APA-accredited program that, perhaps, ends up in conferring the Psy D,. rather than the PhD. the might be, at least, in part, online, AND a lot cheaper than Fielding Graduate University.
From what I have gathered, being APA certified and licensed to practice for the army would be a must. If you know of a PsyD that would allow you to become APA certified and licensed then that is probably enough. However this is something I plan on working on in the future, probably about a year from now, I just love to plan ahead and their are some knowledgeable people on the forum who may not be here in a year or things may change in a year, better to plan now and adjust accordingly in the future.
johnjaxs Wrote:From what I have gathered, being APA certified and licensed to practice for the army would be a must. If you know of a PsyD that would allow you to become APA certified and licensed then that is probably enough. However this is something I plan on working on in the future, probably about a year from now, I just love to plan ahead and their are some knowledgeable people on the forum who may not be here in a year or things may change in a year, better to plan now and adjust accordingly in the future.
tnx, John. I, too, an a yr or so from actually starting any grad program (I'm just completing undergrad work). If you would like to compare notes, going forward, perhaps we'll both learn about the best options.
Slobodon Wrote:tnx, John. I, too, an a yr or so from actually starting any grad program (I'm just completing undergrad work). If you would like to compare notes, going forward, perhaps we'll both learn about the best options.

Don't really have any thing to compare right now, just wanting to finish my MBA first before I go back to start on my Psychology Degree.
(11-27-2015, 03:17 AM)johnjaxs Wrote:
Slobodon Wrote:tnx, John. I, too, an a yr or so from actually starting any grad program (I'm just completing undergrad work). If you would like to compare  notes, going forward, perhaps we'll both learn about the best options.

Don't really have any thing to compare right now, just wanting to finish my MBA first before I go back to start on my Psychology Degree.

sounds good.

hope you made goodly progress, in the intervening years.

I just finished 1L of the four-year (part-time) program for a JD at Northwestern California University School of Law (non-ABA "correspondence" law school), after which I'll address officially finishing up my u/g degree; I'd done most of the work in banking, but, find that I wish to finish out in Psych, towards which, transfer-credit-wise, regional-accreditation-wise, and in terms of lowest cost per tuition hour and tremendous variety of options, within the major, will likely be The University of The Cumberlands (online, though),w which is bricks-and-mortar-located in Kentucky.
A few weeks ago someone posted about a doctoral program in Counseling that was 3 years in length. I know it is not APA and psychology but it’s a doctoral-level program which leads to licensure. Does anyone remember the program? Would this program work for the military ?
(02-08-2019, 05:53 PM)Sacricolist Wrote: A few weeks ago someone posted about a doctoral program in Counseling that was 3 years in length.  I know it is not APA and psychology but it’s a doctoral-level program which leads to licensure.  Does anyone remember the program?  Would this program work for the military ?

You'll receive the same license whether you complete a master's or doctoral program. The federal government has been getting picky about counseling programs being CACREP-accredited. You can search for online programs at the CACREP website. 

https://www.cacrep.org/directory/

A few months ago, I posted about an online sports psychology program that doesn't have a dissertation if you elect to complete a practicum instead. It's not CACREP-accredited because it's not a counseling program, but it should meet the licensing requirements for LPCs and LMHCs in most states. One might be able to become a licensed psychologist with the degree even though the practicum is designed for people who want to become counselors. 

That same school, University of Western States, also has an online EdD in counseling that doesn't require a dissertation. It is also not CACREP-accredited.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,355 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Universidad Central De Nicaragua - Psychology bjcheung77 32 5,818 11-15-2023, 08:13 PM
  European Professional Doctorate Unlucky 33 3,688 10-01-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Unlucky
  Fastest Least Expensive Masters in Psychology or Education dbwdb 21 3,660 09-09-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: ejones
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,203 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Titulo propio Master's in Psychology? basu888 10 1,587 05-13-2023, 01:29 PM
  Fastest / cheapest Psychology Master’s - FOR LICENSURE Ninjadude 9 1,893 03-15-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Ninjadude
  IBCLC to RA Doctorate inoele 19 2,018 01-24-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: rwhitestone
  Walden University MS-Psychology Tempo Learning Supermind 44 10,137 12-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Walden psychology ARV095 5 919 12-22-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: ARV095