Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Completion Advice
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some advice for degree completion. I have an associates degree in Industrial Electronics Engineering Technology. I am leaning toward TESC BSAST in either electrical technology or technical studies, but I am open to whatever I can complete the quickest. I am also interested in a BS in business administration. I think I would do well on CLEP, DSST, and other exams.

About me, 48yrs old, in a management position with around 200 subordinates, 25 years in manufacturing engineering and maintenance management. 

Certifications (Which probably doesn't equate to academics)
CmfgE, CMRP, Master Electrician and Electrical Contractor
A ton of non-academic education certificates.

96 College credits from regionally accredited schools: (my credits are old)

English 101
Psychology 201
Competency Testing in Vocational Subjects INED 442
Teaching Industrial Subjects INED 425
Management of Industrial Education Labs INED 317
DC Circuits 115
AC Circuits 116
National Electrical Code NEC 140
Motor Control 1 151
Motor Control 2 152
Industrial Instrumentation 160
Electrical Installation 170
Electronic Devices 1 201
Electronic Devices 2 202
DC / AC Machines 215
Programmable Controllers 251
Programmable Controller Applications 252
Hydraulics and Pneumatics 131
Maintenance Welding 142
Digital Circuits 231
Power Systems 235
Microprocessors 1 241
College Trigonometry MAT 111
Macroeconomics ECO 210
Probability and Statistics MAT 120
Music Appreciation MUS 105
English 102
Biology 101
Biology 102
Presentation Graphics IST 281
Total = 96
A lot of people with old technical credits find that Excelsior gives the most credit. Generally you need to send transcripts to Excelsior and TESU and see how close you are to the different degrees.

(03-19-2018, 02:28 PM)Ideas Wrote: A lot of people with old technical credits find that Excelsior gives the most credit. Generally you need to send transcripts to Excelsior and TESU and see how close you are to the different degrees.

Thanks for the reply. Since you are a TESU graduate may I ask? Assuming I am able to transfer in most of the credits and take roughly 24 or so credits via exams, do you just get credit for your exams, or is there a letter grade based on your score?
You just get credit for your exams on TESU's transcript. Instead of "A" or "B", it says "CR" in the same spot.

But, say you took a CLEP or DSST. Those have scores, and a future grad school could ask for your CLEP/DSST transcript so they can see what you scored.

If I were you, I would apply to both TESU and EC. Since the credits are old, and there is a limit on what TESU will allow you to bring into the AOS in terms of age, you may not get what you want, and the credits you would still have to take would not be able to be tested out of for the BSAST. Definitely look into the BSBA as well.

Part of the problem is you don't have "normal" courses that we would know the course equivalencies to right off the tops of our heads. You really need an evaluation. After you get those, though, then come back and post, and we can help you to figure out how to test out of the rest of the degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az
In both cases, since you work in the industry that matches your "old" technical courses, you will be able to challenge / ask for a waiver by "demonstrating currency" in the field. This may not happen automatically, you may have to initiate the opportunity, but it's worth doing. I don't know what steps are involved, it's one of those more unusual situations (no one cares if College Algebra is 25 years old, they accept it easily) but I do believe you have a good shot at having those credits count.
I don't think the BSAST is still available, what made me look is that you listed your interest in the TESC BSAST, and TESC is now TESU.   They do offer a BS in Technical Studies (https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bsast/...tudies.cfm) currently or a BS in Electrical Technology (https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bsast/...nology.cfm).  

I point this out because the requirements for the older catalog option you've looked at, could be vastly different than the current available option.  With that said, based on what you did list, it would seem your credits would fit better in the in BS in Technical Studies - as it is more credit flexible than the Electrical Technology, and it seems that you should be able to have a few low cost options to pick up your missing UL credits.  I would suggest you apply for that one, you can always get another evaluation later for different programs. (TESU has a self managed 'test evaluation" tool you can use). 

I've been where you are with a large number of specialized course credits, and I agree 100% with the others that your credits are non-standard enough that you need an official evaluation to see where you fall, and know what you're missing.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,155 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,619 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,941 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero