Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Completion Advice Pierpont/TESU
He would not be able to graduate with the BSCS in December, earliest would be March - that is because he would have had to start the Capstone in August for December graduation (Aug Capstone is Dec Graduation cut-off) - https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

Now if he ends up with the BSTS then it is possible he could if he had everything he needed, as it does not require a Capstone; however, it does require either Chemistry I w/lab and Chemistry II w/lab OR Physics I w/lab and Physics II w/lab - this is not a quick get requirement. Getting the I w/lab many (quick/cheap) options, but the II w/lab would likely have to go through a CC option (local or online). You'd have to get in a CC that has an expedited II w/lab in the fall and that may be really tough (since more expedited CC options would have I first then II at the later half of the semester).

Realistically I don't see a practical way to graduated in December with the bachelor in either program, so that 'run for December' should not be a decision factor on which he chooses after the evaluation.  Hands down I'd have to say that requirement of either Chemistry I w/lab and Chemistry II w/lab OR Physics I w/lab and Physics II w/lab is one of the reasons that we do not have more TESU BSTS graduates on this forum - those elusive Chem/Physics level II w/lab get in the way.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

BSTS does have a capstone. It's called current trends and applications:
"Current Trends 3 SH (Not started)
*must earn a grade of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, go to APS-401 Current Trends and Applications

This Capstone course must be taken at Thomas Edison State University or via an approved Thomas Edison State University Academic Program Review"
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-19-2018, 01:43 PM)MNomadic Wrote: BSTS does have a capstone. It's called current trends and applications:

This Capstone course must be taken at Thomas Edison State University or via an approved Thomas Edison State University Academic Program Review"

Ah, I see it now, it is just not officially called Capstone - it is the BSTS degree version of a Capstone because it's not available through any other source.  That clears that up, for the bachelor degree(s) Dec is off the table, as taking it in August would have been the cut-off.
Amberton University

(08-19-2018, 01:48 PM)allvia Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 01:43 PM)MNomadic Wrote: BSTS does have a capstone. It's called current trends and applications:

Ah, I see it now, it is just not officially called Capstone - it is the BSTS degree version of a Capstone because it's not available through any other source.  That clears that up, for the bachelor degree(s) Dec is off the table, as taking it in August would have been the cut-off.

Yes I didn't realize it either until I had put into my academic evaluation. Sadly all baccalaureate level degrees there appear to have capstone requirements.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(08-19-2018, 01:52 PM)MNomadic Wrote:

Yes I didn't realize it either until I had put into my academic evaluation. Sadly all baccalaureate level degrees there appear to have capstone requirements.
Thank you all! And actually this question was for the Cornerstone requirements to graduate with the ASNSM Biology and ASNSM Mathematics degrees in December. Sorry for any confusion. His plan right now (if the stars all align) is to complete the BA/BS in March or June of next year depending on the results of his evaluation, but would like to attempt to graduate in December with the 2 ASNSMs, if in fact TESU will allow one residency waiver to cover both graduations. 

Also as a side note regarding the Lab requirements. If motivated it's not terribly difficult to meet this requirement within 1-2 months. Just pricey if you are in a hurry. The two best options we found thanks to some independent research as well as MNomadic's guidance were either:

A) Use SDC for Physic I and Physics II for $200. Take the Physics I Lab at SL $148 + $125 Lab Kit Fee (self paced) and take the Physics II Lab at TESU for $366 tuition + $122 Lab kit fee (6 week course). There may be a cheaper option for the Physics Labs but I've not found one yet. Total cost: $961 or $120/credit 

or 

B) Use SDC for Physic I $100. Take the Physics I Lab at SL $148 + $125 Lab Kit Fee (self paced) and then CLEP Chemistry (Currently free w/Modern States or $100 if that program is no longer available and take the Chemistry I Lab at ed4credit for $65 + Lab Kit Fee of $99. Total Cost: $637 or $58/credit (CLEP is 6 credits)

The other options ofc would be to do the Chemistry Clep for Chem I/Chem II (possibly free with modern states) and the ed4credit Lab I, and TESU Lab II. We also plan to ask advising what ed4credit Chem I transfers into TESU as. SDC and SL apparently are no considered Introductory Chemistry now unfortunately. 

The SL transfer agreement states that if you take either Physics I + Lab and Chem I + Lab they should transfer into TESU as Phys I/w Lab and Chem I/w Lab which would be the absolutely fastest way to meet this requirement, but I read on another thread that it did not actually transfer in that way which is a bummer.
(08-19-2018, 03:02 PM)shadowgem Wrote:

Thank you all! And actually this question was for the Cornerstone requirements to graduate with the ASNSM Biology and ASNSM Mathematics degrees in December. Sorry for any confusion. His plan right now (if the stars all align) is to complete the BA/BS in March or June of next year depending on the results of his evaluation, but would like to attempt to graduate in December with the 2 ASNSMs, if in fact TESU will allow one residency waiver to cover both graduations. 

Also as a side note regarding the Lab requirements. If motivated it's not terribly difficult to meet this requirement within 1-2 months. Just pricey if you are in a hurry. The two best options we found thanks to some independent research as well as MNomadic's guidance were either:

A) Use SDC for Physic I and Physics II for $200. Take the Physics I Lab at SL $148 + $125 Lab Kit Fee (self paced) and take the Physics II Lab at TESU for $366 tuition + $122 Lab kit fee (6 week course). There may be a cheaper option for the Physics Labs but I've not found one yet. Total cost: $961 or $120/credit 

or 

B) Use SDC for Physic I $100. Take the Physics I Lab at SL $148 + $125 Lab Kit Fee (self paced) and then CLEP Chemistry (Currently free w/Modern States or $100 if that program is no longer available and take the Chemistry I Lab at ed4credit for $65 + Lab Kit Fee of $99. Total Cost: $637 or $58/credit (CLEP is 6 credits)

The other options ofc would be to do the Chemistry Clep for Chem I/Chem II (possibly free with modern states) and the ed4credit Lab I, and TESU Lab II. We also plan to ask advising what ed4credit Chem I transfers into TESU as. SDC and SL apparently are no considered Introductory Chemistry now unfortunately. 

The SL transfer agreement states that if you take either Physics I + Lab and Chem I + Lab they should transfer into TESU as Phys I/w Lab and Chem I/w Lab which would be the absolutely fastest way to meet this requirement, but I read on another thread that it did not actually transfer in that way which is a bummer.

Someone recently tried to bring in the Chem I w/lab and the Physics I w/lab to meet the requirement  - unfortunately, it did not.  It is pretty clear on the TESU site (and official eval) that they have a sequential science requirement a I & II (with labs), and give you the choice in choosing one those two subjects (really a shame Bio doesn't work)

From what I've heard the 1 credit cornerstone can be completed extremely quickly (I've seen it posted here many times that it does not take more than a day). He will need it no matter what degree(s) he chooses; so he could sign up for the Sept cornerstone and just get it done (check it right off the list of obstacles)
Amberton University

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • shadowgem
(08-19-2018, 03:14 PM)allvia Wrote:

or 

Someone recently tried to bring in the Chem I w/lab and the Physics I w/lab to meet the requirement  - unfortunately, it did not.  It is pretty clear on the TESU site (and official eval) that they have a sequential science requirement a I & II (with labs), and give you the choice in choosing one those two subjects (really a shame Bio doesn't work)

From what I've heard the 1 credit cornerstone can be completed extremely quickly (I've seen it posted here many times that it does not take more than a day). He will need it no matter what degree(s) he chooses; so he could sign up for the Sept cornerstone and just get it done (check it right off the list of obstacles)

Interesting and good to know. I had not read that. I think my DH would prefer to take two sequential courses anyways and will probably be going with the above A) option but is keeping in mind possibly doing CLEP and then Chem I Lab at ed4rcredit and Chem II via TESU. 

I'm fairly sure he's set on Physics though at this point lol The Physics II lab is only 6 weeks at TESU so I think he should be fine meeting that requirement fairly quickly if he does go the BSTC route. Just unfortunately its a bit pricey, but at least its for something he'll enjoy learning. 

Doing the Chem Clep, ed4credit Chem I lab and the TESU Chem Lab II would probably be much less expensive, but I've heard that clep exam is a bear and he's trying to work part of this requirement into his ASNSM biology plan to kill two birds with one stone. But he's on a tight deadline so a fail could hurt more than his pride. lol

Yea it would of been nice if Biology I/II w/ labs was an option in his case definitely!
Not sure if you mentioned it(not to overwhelm you with too many options) but did you look into online courses through nearby community colleges? Sometimes those can be a cheap option. For instance, Rio salado has chem 2 lab online, 8 weeks long, weekly start dates. I believe it's like ~$215(for the 1 credit) for out of state(plus whatever lab kits/supplies/fees) so it may be cheaper than a chem 2 lab at TESU.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(08-19-2018, 04:06 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Not sure if you mentioned it(not to overwhelm you with too many options) but did you look into online courses through nearby community colleges? Sometimes those can be a cheap option. For instance, Rio salado has chem 2 lab online, 8 weeks long, weekly start dates. I believe it's like ~$215(for the 1 credit) for out of state(plus whatever lab kits/supplies/fees) so it may be cheaper than a chem 2 lab at TESU.
Not at all, I appreciate all the suggestions and options. thank you!

I had not yet checked Rio. I just did though. Tuition for 1 credit Chem II Lab is $215 is and looks like its $167 new/$125 used for the required lab/software kit. Next start dates are listed as either tomorrow or Oct. 1. I'm not seeing weekly start dates as an option. It's not clear whether they would accept CBE or the CLEP as verification for the prereq, but does say you need to verify before starting the course. But yes, this looks like potentially a slighter cheaper option than TESU Chem Lab II. They have many I/II Labs, except for Physics. We can definitely keep this option in mind if he goes the Chem route.  Smile

(08-19-2018, 03:29 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 01:48 PM)allvia Wrote: Ah, I see it now, it is just not officially called Capstone - it is the BSTS degree version of a Capstone because it's not available through any other source.  That clears that up, for the bachelor degree(s) Dec is off the table, as taking it in August would have been the cut-off.

or 

Interesting and good to know. I had not read that. I think my DH would prefer to take two sequential courses anyways and will probably be going with the above A) option but is keeping in mind possibly doing CLEP and then Chem I Lab at ed4rcredit and Chem II via TESU. 

I'm fairly sure he's set on Physics though at this point lol The Physics II lab is only 6 weeks at TESU so I think he should be fine meeting that requirement fairly quickly if he does go the BSTC route. Just unfortunately its a bit pricey, but at least its for something he'll enjoy learning. 

Doing the Chem Clep, ed4credit Chem I lab and the TESU Chem Lab II would probably be much less expensive, but I've heard that clep exam is a bear and he's trying to work part of this requirement into his ASNSM biology plan to kill two birds with one stone. But he's on a tight deadline so a fail could hurt more than his pride. lol

Yea it would of been nice if Biology I/II w/ labs was an option in his case definitely!

Allivia, I just reviewed the TESU web page for the BS Technical Studies again. I'm not seeing where it clearly outlines the sciences must be two sequential courses. At the bottom of the page https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs/technical-studies the requirement seems to suggest they would accept either to meet each requirement for 4 credits. You would think if they wanted it to be sequential it would be listed as Chem I/II w/ Labs (8) OR Physics I/II with labs (8). I think this is where my confusion came in to either/or being acceptable. It certainly wasn't clear to me the way they have it listed lol Thank you so much for pointing that out though. It would be awful to have to retake courses, but this is all new/greek to me so easily confusing lol I really sincerely appreciate getting some clarity on these nuances in advance. Its tremendously helpful  Smile
(08-19-2018, 05:17 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 04:06 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Not sure if you mentioned it(not to overwhelm you with too many options) but did you look into online courses through nearby community colleges? Sometimes those can be a cheap option. For instance, Rio salado has chem 2 lab online, 8 weeks long, weekly start dates. I believe it's like ~$215(for the 1 credit) for out of state(plus whatever lab kits/supplies/fees) so it may be cheaper than a chem 2 lab at TESU.
Not at all, I appreciate all the suggestions and options. thank you!

I had not yet checked Rio. I just did though. Tuition for 1 credit Chem II Lab is $215 is and looks like its $167 new/$125 used for the required lab/software kit. Next start dates are listed as either tomorrow or Oct. 1. I'm not seeing weekly start dates as an option. It's not clear whether they would accept CBE or the CLEP as verification for the prereq, but does say you need to verify before starting the course. But yes, this looks like potentially a slighter cheaper option than TESU Chem Lab II. They have many I/II Labs, except for Physics. We can definitely keep this option in mind if he goes the Chem route.  Smile

(08-19-2018, 03:29 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 01:52 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Yes I didn't realize it either until I had put into my academic evaluation. Sadly all baccalaureate level degrees there appear to have capstone requirements.

or 

Allivia, I just reviewed the TESU web page for the BS Technical Studies again. I'm not seeing where it clearly outlines the sciences must be two sequential courses. At the bottom of the page https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs/technical-studies the requirement seems to suggest they would accept either to meet each requirement for 4 credits. You would think if they wanted it to be sequential it would be listed as Chem I/II w/ Labs (8) OR Physics I/II with labs (8). I think this is where my confusion came in to either/or being acceptable. It certainly wasn't clear to me the way they have it listed lol Thank you so much for pointing that out though. It would be awful to have to retake courses, but this is all new/greek to me so easily confusing lol I really sincerely appreciate getting some clarity on these nuances in advance. Its tremendously helpful  Smile
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 329 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 3 150 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 10 349 03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 396 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 547 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 2 544 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: JohnJ2024
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 814 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,459 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,204 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions - Pierpont Apply Now? Chimera 8 881 02-22-2024, 01:49 AM