Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan Review
Question 
Hoping to get some input on the attached degree plan I created for my spouse.  I've also included her completed credit listed below for reference with some notes/questions. She withdrew from COSC due to life circumstances and we've now reevaluated and have chosen UMPI based on cost and degree plans available.  She currently has enough credit for the Pierpont BOG AS minus the information literacy requirement.  From there she plans on pursing the BLS Education Minor with as many non-youpace online UMPI UL EDU courses used as electives as practical.  Those courses should correspond with state teaching certification requirements.

Any input appreciated on the plan, education minor, comments or if you spot a course that would satisfy a GEC learning outcome not considered.

Straighterline:
English Composition I
United States History II
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Nutrition
Business Ethics (this is not listed on the SL->UMPI transfer list, I'm hopeful it satisfies 4C and/or 5D so Intro to Ethics is not required at Sophia)
Western Civilization I
Introduction to Biology (have not taken lab yet, is there any way to take the SDC Biology lab for 1 credit instead of the full 4 credit course?)
Introduction to Sociology

Aleks:
Beginning Algebra (It looks like beginning and intermediate algebra are no longer recommended for credit by ACE, however, these were taken while still recommended.  Will they still transfer as electives to Pierpont and UMPI?)
Intermediate Algebra
College Algebra

Yuba College:
ECE-1A Preschool Teach Practicum
ECE-1B Preschool Teach Practicum
ECE-3 Child Growth Dev
ECE-10 Health Safety Nutrition
ECE-27 ECE Multicultural Curriculum
ECE-11 Observation/Assessment
ECE-31 Child Family Community
ECE-20 Infant Toddler Development (taken at a CC, but corresponds to UL course at UMPI by same name, anyone had luck with transferring LL to UL at UMPI?)

COSC:
ECE-217 Exceptional Learner

Planned Sophia Courses:
Introduction to Information Technology (assuming this will satisfy the Pierpont information literacy requirement for the BOG AS)
Communication at Work
Art History I
Environmental Science
Intro to Ethics
Spanish I (has anyone tried the UMPI American Sign Language?  Would consider that over Spanish)

Edit: Found the UMPI course transfer database, doesn't exactly correspond with what Straighterline says, however, appears Business Ethics is worthless for the GEC

Attached Files
.xlsx   UMPI BLS Edu Minor Degree Plan.xlsx (Size: 15.46 KB / Downloads: 9)
TESU BSBA 2017
Beginning algebra should be accepted by Pierpont. I'm not sure about UMPI, but possibly. For both, it will need to be on a Credly transcript that shows the ACE recommendation.

For EC-20, UMPI does occasionally accept LL courses as UL. There is no way to know ahead of time unless it is already in the transfer database. Even then, the evaluation could change at any time.

Intro to IT will work at Pierpont.

Sign language is not available for YourPace students. French or Spanish are the only YourPace languages available. Sophia is recommended, but there are also ACTFL tests for students who already know other languages.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I wouldn't spend the money on StraighterLine. I would spend less money and complete classes faster at Sophia. Also the lab science can be completed on Study.com where you'll have a few options. For the $199 a month fee you can take 2 exams so 2 classes at the same time. Sophia's ethics course transfers to UMPI so no worries. Business Ethics is a tough one with many schools it's not viewed as an ethics course.
(09-22-2022, 02:30 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Beginning algebra should be accepted by Pierpont. I'm not sure about UMPI, but possibly. For both, it will need to be on a Credly transcript that shows the ACE recommendation.

For EC-20, UMPI does occasionally accept LL courses as UL. There is no way to know ahead of time unless it is already in the transfer database. Even then, the evaluation could change at any time.

Intro to IT will work at Pierpont.

Sign language is not available for YourPace students. French or Spanish are the only YourPace languages available. Sophia is recommended, but there are also ACTFL tests for students who already know other languages.

Great response, everything's on Credly and looks like Spanish at Sophia is it.

(09-22-2022, 02:41 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I wouldn't spend the money on StraighterLine. I would spend less money and complete classes faster at Sophia. Also the lab science can be completed on Study.com where you'll have a few options. For the $199 a month fee you can take 2 exams so 2 classes at the same time. Sophia's ethics course transfers to UMPI so no worries. Business Ethics is a tough one with many schools it's not viewed as an ethics course.

Thank you! Straighterline isn't what is used to be and I'd prefer to do only the 1 credit lab at SDC. I don't see that as an option when navigating their website.
(09-22-2022, 02:47 PM)troutsniffer Wrote: Thank you! Straighterline isn't what is used to be and I'd prefer to do only the 1 credit lab at SDC.  I don't see that as an option when navigating their website.

Study's lab science courses are 4 credits. The lab isn't separate.
(09-22-2022, 03:57 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 02:47 PM)troutsniffer Wrote: Thank you! Straighterline isn't what is used to be and I'd prefer to do only the 1 credit lab at SDC.  I don't see that as an option when navigating their website.

Study's lab science courses are 4 credits. The lab isn't separate.

bummer  Sad
TESU BSBA 2017
I don't think UMPI accepts it when you take a lab somewhere other than where you took the original course, so you're out of luck either way.

Pierpont does not have an Information Literacy requirement that I know of; do you mean Computer Literacy? If so, you can take Intro to IT from Sophia. It's a very short course.

Make sure you request the Area of Emphasis in ECE, as that is an option at Pierpont.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Continue on your journey from Pierpont BOG AAS, select an emphasis of your choice. Ladder that up to the UMPI BLS Education Minor, just make sure to complete 30 credits at UMPI and the bulk of the 24 UL requirements from them as well. I suggest adding a second minor to get that done...

Create a spreadsheet and put all the requirements into the sheets to reference and track your progress.
Pierpont WIKI: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
UMPI BLS ED: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-23-2022, 10:26 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: ...the bulk of the 24 UL requirements from them as well.  I suggest adding a second minor to get that done...

I've seen this mentioned several on the forum and wiki, but can't find anything directly from UMPI.  Do they specify bulk anywhere?  From the BLS program requirements linked on the wiki it only says the following:

Quote:https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

https://www.umpi.edu/files/academics/pro...es_BLS.pdf

ELECTIVE REQUIREMENTS:
Students must take a minimum of 24 credit hours of upper-level electives beyond courses taken for
the general education core and minor requirements. Total credit hours for the degree must be no
less than 120 credit hours.

Anyways, it appears as long as ten 3 credit courses are taken it shouldn't matter unless I'm missing something.  Otherwise, the plan will be to fill the 24hrs of UL electives with SDC Psychology and Criminal Justice courses.  Could potentially do a CJ minor, but it really doesn't benefit, would just be more time/money.
TESU BSBA 2017
(10-01-2022, 08:25 PM)troutsniffer Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 10:26 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: ...the bulk of the 24 UL requirements from them as well.  I suggest adding a second minor to get that done...

I've seen this mentioned several on the forum and wiki, but can't find anything directly from UMPI.  Do they specify bulk anywhere?  From the BLS program requirements linked on the wiki it only says the following:

We know this because several of us have graduated from UMPI and completed the BLS. I'm one of these people. The 24 UL credit requirement will be on your degree audit from your academic advisor. Here's the degree map for on campus students. Same requirements for YourPace students. 

https://www.umpi.edu/files/academics/pro...es_BLS.pdf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 297 03-27-2024, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 372 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,487 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,432 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 0 206 03-02-2024, 06:33 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  I earned an Honors BLS Degree with Two Minors in 8 days!! basicunitoflife 34 3,293 03-01-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: laknight
  Help with getting a degree ASAP Talia99 3 289 02-27-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Smile BAS UMPI Degree Planning Questions Chimera 6 565 02-25-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Does spain/EU accept UMPI degree? Solden81 4 430 02-21-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master's program at UMPI with an existing UoPeople BS-CS degree ecdw94 29 2,398 02-20-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: nykorn