Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan TESU BSBA in Accounting
Hi everyone, firstly thanks for all the information you share here, its really given me some options I didn't even know existed. Could you help me with a review of my degree plan and any additional insight?

I'm just graduating HS but my college options look limited. I got a solid 98th percentile SAT and had great EC's, but unfortunately didn't manage to get into any of the Ivys or even the next tier (perhaps I was not as great as I thought, haha!). With zero financial aid, I'm looking at nearly $150K for mid-tier in-state tuition! So have decided to skip it. While searching for options on coding boot camps etc I stumbled upon this forum.

My plan now is to go for the online TESU BSBA in Accounting/CPA Credit Distribution (link to course) and try to complete it within 9 to 12 months. I'll still be living at home and don't have any financial pressure. I only have a part-time job and can spend a lot of time studying. Using some of the existing templates here I've built the attached plan.

My questions: 
1. Does the overall plan look OK?
2. Is this viable for 9 - 12 months?
3. I've completed AP in the following; World History, US History, Physics 1, Physics 2, Calculus AB. My understanding is that I can use 3 of them for 6 points each at TESU. Any recommendations on what I should drop and use these to substitute with?

Sincerely, again, thank you all!

Attached Files
.xlsx   Degree Plan Accounting.xlsx (Size: 9.38 KB / Downloads: 44)
AP Tests: I'm not sure where you got the information about using only 3. TESU will treat the AP tests as other alternative credit: It counts towards your maximum 90 credit allowable limit. So, assuming you got at least 3s, you'll have:

6 credits of World History (HIS 121/122)
6 credits of US History (HIS 113/114)
8 credits of Physics with Lab (PHY 115/116)
3 credits of Calculus (MAT-231)

This will cover your Knowledge of Human Cultures, Physical/Natural World, Quantitative Analysis, and put some extra credits into your GE Electives.

I've heard that Sophia isn't great for English Comp, but it's not awful. You seem to be able to test well, so if you can take the College Composition CLEP I would recommend that. Principles of Statistics must go into the Mathematics slot of a BSBA degree.

I would take more at Sophia instead of SDC in your business requirements. You can get Managerial Accounting, Business Law, Principles of Finance, Micro/Macroeconomics, and computer concepts. This is purely a cost savings measure.

You're taking a lot of classes through TESU. If you truly want the accounting/CPA track, that's great, but there are more cost-effective concentrations.

Finally, I don't want to question your decision to go to TESU, but just be sure that's what you want to do.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(04-16-2021, 08:49 AM)Flelm Wrote: AP Tests: I'm not sure where you got the information about using only 3. TESU will treat the AP tests as other alternative credit: It counts towards your maximum 90 credit allowable limit. So, assuming you got at least 3s, you'll have:

6 credits of World History (HIS 121/122)
6 credits of US History (HIS 113/114)
8 credits of Physics with Lab (PHY 115/116)
3 credits of Calculus (MAT-231)

This will cover your Knowledge of Human Cultures, Physical/Natural World, Quantitative Analysis, and put some extra credits into your GE Electives.

I've heard that Sophia isn't great for English Comp, but it's not awful. You seem to be able to test well, so if you can take the College Composition CLEP I would recommend that. Principles of Statistics must go into the Mathematics slot of a BSBA degree.

I would take more at Sophia instead of SDC in your business requirements. You can get Managerial Accounting, Business Law, Principles of Finance, Micro/Macroeconomics, and computer concepts. This is purely a cost savings measure.

You're taking a lot of classes through TESU. If you truly want the accounting/CPA track, that's great, but there are more cost-effective concentrations.

Finally, I don't want to question your decision to go to TESU, but just be sure that's what you want to do.

Thanks Flelm, that's really useful info, I'll update the plan to reflect the AP courses.

The only reason for TESU is that I live in NJ so people are definitely familiar with the college. I'll look at alternatives though for sure.

EDIT: the objective is to get the accounting concentration.

Do you think that this is a viable plan to execute in 9 - 12 months? I appreciate that this is more subjective and dependant upon me personally, but does it seem unreasonable to you in any way?

Thanks!
Are you planning to be a CPA or do you have other reasons for getting the accounting concentration?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-16-2021, 10:56 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Are you planning to be a CPA or do you have other reasons for getting the accounting concentration?

Yes, that's the end-point objective of this. 

Ultimately want to be certified in NJ as a CPA.
In that case, you may need to revise your plans slightly. I would recommend checking out the requirements for being a NJ CPA. IIRC, some states require a specific number of graded credits and, in that instance, SDC courses would not do.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-16-2021, 11:19 AM)rachel83az Wrote: In that case, you may need to revise your plans slightly. I would recommend checking out the requirements for being a NJ CPA. IIRC, some states require a specific number of graded credits and, in that instance, SDC courses would not do.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I'll look at it right now.

This is what I've found on the NJ CPA board web-site:

To sit for the CPA Exam in New Jersey
Bachelor’s degree or higher from accredited school/university
24 semester hours in accounting and 24 semester hours in business
Minimum of 120 semester hours
Degree can be in any field of study

https://www.njcpa.org/build-career/becom...quirements

I'll continue checking but at first appearance anyway, it looks like its just semester hours.
TESU BSBA Accounting/CPA is for the NJ track, I highly recommend doing a WGU Accounting after that to bump you up to 150 credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • thecontrarian
I would try to get 150 cr through TESU, using SDC. So when u get Bachelor u ve all 150 cr done without having headache later on. Ofcoz its if NJ allows online courses to be used such SDC. Check this requirement out first
By the way,  could anyone be kind to tell me average income for CPA. I do ask average since it will vary for many reasons.  I dont think income reported on usual salary websites reflects full picture.
Will be greatful for info  Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • thecontrarian
(04-16-2021, 09:10 AM)thecontrarian Wrote: Do you think that this is a viable plan to execute in 9 - 12 months? I appreciate that this is more subjective and dependant upon me personally, but does it seem unreasonable to you in any way?

I hate to say it, but it really does depends on you. Taking real courses through TESU complicates that, and not having any experience in accounting does as well. Are you going to treat this like a full-time job, or more? I think it's definitely possible, but ambitious, and don't be discouraged if you don't achieve your goal.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 17 182 3 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 102 50 minutes ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 257 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 278 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 557 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower