Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan TESU BSBA in Accounting
TESU and/or any NJ local state university would be a great option as it'll be more known in your area, choosing another Big 3 or CBE programs such as UMPI would probably save you some cash flow, but in the long run, the ROI/Value would be much better if you choose TESU or a local NJ University. I would suggest applying for other scholarships and schools, such as Rutgers or even a great private school like Seton Hall to see what you can do in regards to scholarships...

At the end of the day though, having an undergrad degree from TESU would be in the top 10% in ROI/Value, moreover, if you're going for a Masters in Accounting at WGU, you'll be quick and well off - much faster than your peers. You can use the time gained to apply for and work on MOOC degrees from Coursera, Edx, and so on from well known universities at a fraction of the price... the TESU undergrad/WGU grad combo will get you that check in the box for entrance...

This is what I would shoot for: TESU in 1-1.5 years BSBA Accounting/CPA, WGU 1-2 terms Masters Accounting
Note: Use as much financial aid/Pell grant as you can for the Bachelors, in fact, if you're going for TESU, do two degrees as you're young!
Complete another Masters from MOOC (Coursera/Edx) - https://www.coursera.org/degrees/masters - https://www.edx.org/masters
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • thecontrarian
(04-19-2021, 05:49 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TESU and/or any NJ local state university would be a great option as it'll be more known in your area, choosing another Big 3 or CBE programs such as UMPI would probably save you some cash flow, but in the long run, the ROI/Value would be much better if you choose TESU or a local NJ University.  I would suggest applying for other scholarships and schools, such as Rutgers or even a great private school like Seton Hall to see what you can do in regards to scholarships...

At the end of the day though, having an undergrad degree from TESU would be in the top 10% in ROI/Value, moreover, if you're going for a Masters in Accounting at WGU, you'll be quick and well off - much faster than your peers.  You can use the time gained to apply for and work on MOOC degrees from Coursera, Edx, and so on from well known universities at a fraction of the price... the TESU undergrad/WGU grad combo will get you that check in the box for entrance...

This is what I would shoot for: TESU in 1-1.5 years BSBA Accounting/CPA, WGU 1-2 terms Masters Accounting
Note: Use as much financial aid/Pell grant as you can for the Bachelors, in fact, if you're going for TESU, do two degrees as you're young!
Complete another Masters from MOOC (Coursera/Edx) - https://www.coursera.org/degrees/masters - https://www.edx.org/masters

@bjcheung77 - thanks for all the advice. Based on all the feedback I got here I'm definitely leaning towards 1y+ to get the BSBA and then a master's focussed on accounting. Initially, when I discovered this option I was a little too pumped up because it opened an avenue I didn't even know existed. But now I calmed down a little I'm starting to crystalize a plan which is similar to how you laid it out. Its more realistic.
.Video_Control,null,video,null{filter: contrast(100%)brightness(100%)saturate(100%)sepia(0%) url(#Sharpen0) url(#MIRROR0) url(#Video_Control_Gamma) !important;transition: 0.5s;}
Hi Everyone!

81 credits down towards a BSBA in accounting, and I still need to fill the recommended accounting related coursework and the 6 credits worth of free electives. I'm considering taking Criminal Justice- Cybersecurity & Cybercrime (CJ103)-Oninedegree.com, and Spanish 105: Spanish for the Workplace- Study.com for my free electives. Do these make sense as electives?

I need to take 4 courses in the "recommended" section of the accounting specific coursework listed on the transcript. I spoke with a TESU employee on the phone who said they just recommend, not require those "recommended" courses and that I could apply courses in that area that aren't exactly like they recommend. 
recommended subjects:
    • Federal Income Taxation I
    • Federal Income Taxation II OR Tax Accounting II
    • Advanced Financial Accounting
    • Advanced Managerial Accounting
    • Accounting Information Systems
    • Analysis of Financial Statements
    • Auditing
    • Cost Accounting
    • Fund, Government OR Public Accounting
I was able to find Cost Accounting on Study.com, but the closest courses to the other recommendations are not as close of a match. I'd like to avoid taking them at TESU for $ reasons as well as time reasons. Here are the classes I could find that seemed like the best match, and I would love to hear if these are a decent match (or not), which ones I should take out of the list, or other possibilities that might be closer. Additionally, I'm interested in the Managerial/Private Accounting path, so I'm less interested in tax and public accounting classes. I'm currently working on getting a hold of someone from Study.com to check if Advanced Accounting is Managerial or Financial because the recommended list from TESU specifies which.
These are the classes I'm considering between for the 3 of the recommended courses other than cost accounting.
  • Applied managerial accounting
  • Finance 304: Security Analysis & Portfolio Management
  • Accounting 302: Advanced Accounting I
  • Finance 102: Personal Finance
One more question for everyone- isn't there a max number on how many credits from Study.com, for example, that TESU will accept (90 credits, right?). Or, could you theoretically finish your whole degree (114 credits+6 credits of TESU required courses=120 creds) from Study.com if they had all the classes you needed?

Thank you!

Attached Files
.xlsx   transcript and coursework.xlsx (Size: 7.05 KB / Downloads: 5)
TESU requires that you bring in at least 24 RA credits to complete your degree. The rest can come from alternate sources. For your AOS, you might want to consider a few UNA courses. They would be more cost-effective than TESU while still being RA. You can find suggestions for the accounting AOS here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...unting_AOS
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
.Video_Control,null,video,null{filter: contrast(100%)brightness(100%)saturate(100%)sepia(0%) url(#Sharpen0) url(#MIRROR0) url(#Video_Control_Gamma) !important;transition: 0.5s;}
(04-22-2021, 12:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU requires that you bring in at least 24 RA credits to complete your degree. The rest can come from alternate sources. For your AOS, you might want to consider a few UNA courses. They would be more cost-effective than TESU while still being RA. You can find suggestions for the accounting AOS here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...unting_AOS

THANK YOU so much!!! You just saved me at least a year of work + all the money I would have spent on those classes!! I checked it out with TESU...the first person I spoke with knew less than me and told me some false/missing important parts information...the next was knowledgeable and confirmed what you said. I can take 90 credits from ACE/NCCRS sources (including but not limited to CLEP, Study.com, Straighterline, Onlinedegree.com, and Sophia), but I have to take 30 credits from TESU or another Regionally Accredited (RA) college. This is seriously going to impact my budget and timeline for completion, but I'm so grateful to have learned this before I wasted a bunch of time and money getting 114 credits (which you can transfer that many over to TESU, but 24 of them have to be RA). I think the reason you said 24 and they said 30 RA is because you can transfer the 24 RA+90 ACE/NCCRS=114 credits you can transfer, but you will need to take the 6 remaining credits (to reach 120 credits) from TESU in the Capstone course and the Information Literacy course. While I'm posting, does anyone have ideas for the cheapest online college? You mentioned UNA. Did you by any chance compare if UNA or TESU would be a more cost effective college to finish the degree at and get the diploma from? As you mentioned, I will definitely look into taking the RA courses I need at UNA.

Thanks again!!
(04-22-2021, 09:38 PM)ClearBlue Wrote: .Video_Control,null,video,null{filter: contrast(100%)brightness(100%)saturate(100%)sepia(0%) url(#Sharpen0) url(#MIRROR0) url(#Video_Control_Gamma) !important;transition: 0.5s;}
(04-22-2021, 12:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU requires that you bring in at least 24 RA credits to complete your degree. The rest can come from alternate sources. For your AOS, you might want to consider a few UNA courses. They would be more cost-effective than TESU while still being RA. You can find suggestions for the accounting AOS here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...unting_AOS

THANK YOU so much!!! You just saved me at least a year of work + all the money I would have spent on those classes!! I checked it out with TESU...the first person I spoke with knew less than me and told me some false/missing important parts information...the next was knowledgeable and confirmed what you said. I can take 90 credits from ACE/NCCRS sources (including but not limited to CLEP, Study.com, Straighterline, Onlinedegree.com, and Sophia), but I have to take 30 credits from TESU or another Regionally Accredited (RA) college. This is seriously going to impact my budget and timeline for completion, but I'm so grateful to have learned this before I wasted a bunch of time and money getting 114 credits (which you can transfer that many over to TESU, but 24 of them have to be RA). I think the reason you said 24 and they said 30 RA is because you can transfer the 24 RA+90 ACE/NCCRS=114 credits you can transfer, but you will need to take the 6 remaining credits (to reach 120 credits) from TESU in the Capstone course and the Information Literacy course. While I'm posting, does anyone have ideas for the cheapest online college? You mentioned UNA. Did you by any chance compare if UNA or TESU would be a more cost effective college to finish the degree at and get the diploma from? As you mentioned, I will definitely look into taking the RA courses I need at UNA.

Thanks again!!

It depends on what state you live in, if you have cheap CC credits available.  But for our purposes, the cheapest RA options are UExcel exams (from Excelsior College) and/or TECEP exams (from TESU) if you want to test out; and Olivet Nazarene University (ONU) YourWay self-paced courses at $150/cr.

TECEP exams are $50/cr for LL and $75/cr for UL.  UExcel exams are $110 for most of them + $55 for a test center fee (even though you can now do many from home).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hey ClearBlue, how goes?  Welcome to the board... Which state are you in? What school and what degree are you into?

1) I assume you're looking at the TESU BSBA Accounting/CPA, so, I guess you're in New Jersey? 

I noticed you may have asked an inquiry in this particular thread, it may have been better to start a new thread.

2) For transfer policy info, you may want to reference this thread:  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Explained

3) BTW, would you happen to be on a Linux machine running a Video Mod Script?  Each of your threads start with a long script...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-22-2021, 09:38 PM)ClearBlue Wrote: I think the reason you said 24 and they said 30 RA is because you can transfer the 24 RA+90 ACE/NCCRS=114 credits you can transfer, but you will need to take the 6 remaining credits (to reach 120 credits) from TESU in the Capstone course and the Information Literacy course.

Yes, that is the case. You are still allowed to transfer in 114 credits but only 90 of them may come from alternate sources. 6 of the remaining 30 have to come from TESU and the rest can come from any college/university or the TECEPs and UExcels.

Quote:While I'm posting, does anyone have ideas for the cheapest online college? You mentioned UNA. Did you by any chance compare if UNA or TESU would be a more cost effective college to finish the degree at and get the diploma from? As you mentioned, I will definitely look into taking the RA courses I need at UNA.

Thanks again!!

UNA has the cheapest (that we've seen) accounting credit for a handful of courses. For gen eds, you've got Olivet or TEL Learning as the very cheapest sources of non-test-based RA credit. There are a number of other options to choose from here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sources_of_Credit You might also want to check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

UNA would NOT be cheap to finish the degree at. They only have a handful of inexpensive courses. TESU is still the cheapest for a BSBA in Accounting. 

UMPI does have a BA in Accounting, though, which could work out to be a lower cost. But it is a competency-based degree. I don't understand the requirements for being a CPA but it might or might not suit that goal: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-accounting.aspx
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-22-2021, 10:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey ClearBlue, how goes?  Welcome to the board... Which state are you in? What school and what degree are you into?

1) I assume you're looking at the TESU BSBA Accounting/CPA, so, I guess you're in New Jersey? 

I noticed you may have asked an inquiry in this particular thread, it may have been better to start a new thread.

2) For transfer policy info, you may want to reference this thread:  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Explained

3) BTW, would you happen to be on a Linux machine running a Video Mod Script?  Each of your threads start with a long script...
Hey bjcheung77,

1. I'm looking into managerial/private accounting, not the CPA track. I'm in OH. 
2. Good point on the transfer policy thread.
3. I am on Windows.

Thanks! Smile

(04-23-2021, 05:48 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-22-2021, 09:38 PM)ClearBlue Wrote: I think the reason you said 24 and they said 30 RA is because you can transfer the 24 RA+90 ACE/NCCRS=114 credits you can transfer, but you will need to take the 6 remaining credits (to reach 120 credits) from TESU in the Capstone course and the Information Literacy course.

Yes, that is the case. You are still allowed to transfer in 114 credits but only 90 of them may come from alternate sources. 6 of the remaining 30 have to come from TESU and the rest can come from any college/university or the TECEPs and UExcels.

Quote:While I'm posting, does anyone have ideas for the cheapest online college? You mentioned UNA. Did you by any chance compare if UNA or TESU would be a more cost effective college to finish the degree at and get the diploma from? As you mentioned, I will definitely look into taking the RA courses I need at UNA.

Thanks again!!

UNA has the cheapest (that we've seen) accounting credit for a handful of courses. For gen eds, you've got Olivet or TEL Learning as the very cheapest sources of non-test-based RA credit. There are a number of other options to choose from here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sources_of_Credit You might also want to check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

UNA would NOT be cheap to finish the degree at. They only have a handful of inexpensive courses. TESU is still the cheapest for a BSBA in Accounting. 

UMPI does have a BA in Accounting, though, which could work out to be a lower cost. But it is a competency-based degree. I don't understand the requirements for being a CPA but it might or might not suit that goal: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-accounting.aspx
Thank you so much! Smile I will definitely be looking into UNA for accounting classes, as well as Olivet, TEL, and the websites you linked for more ideas on colleges for inexpensive RA credit.
Yes. You can definitely graduate in 12 months if you are focused and extremely dedicated. Also, my advice is too graduated with your BSBA in accounting, and get a job working in an accounting firm. Don’t worry about getting your CPA right now. My reasoning is as follows; 1) majority of accountants are not CPA’s, 2) you only need your CPA if you are doing public accounting, 3) you are young so spend the next couple of years working in various accounting positions, private, public, government, tax, managerial . . . once you find an area that captures your interests stick with that. Your area of interest may not even require you to be a CPA, 4) finally, some employers actually will pay for you to get your CPA, or master’s degree, if they are a good company. So save your money and let your employer pays all the fees.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jesus is Lord's post:
  • ClearBlue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 582 Today, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,155 Today, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,896 Today, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 198 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 193 Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,103 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 185 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 522 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,290 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 170 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM