Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree advice for my son
With all prior credits your son has and if he does more Sophia he would pretty close to a BA
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • bsinsc
It's been awhile since I was there but here's what the evaluation says exactly:
Information Literacy 3SH (INSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENT) (Not started)
To meet this requirement, students MUST take SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy at Thomas Edison State University
Does that mean this class has to be taken at TESU??

Ethical Leadership 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: ETH-230 Ethics in a Digital Age
Does this mean he can take this 1 on Sophia?? Sure would save me some $$....Thoughts?

We have only until midnight to register for classes and we couldn't get with advising on Friday since the evaluation just came through then.....I'm not worried about financial aid...just need him to graduate with something and move on at this pointSmile
TESC: BA and AA, Liberal Studies, History concentration, 2011

Regents College (Excelsior): AS, Liberal Studies, 2000

Trident Technical College: Certified Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, EKG Technician, 1994-1996
Intro to Ethics on Sophia is currently free and should work. No way to know 100% because Sophia/TESU transfer page is down. But it would save you over $1k. If on some off chance Sophia doesn't work are other options much cheaper than TESU.
  • bsinsc
He can go on to get his private pilot license and get credit for that at TESU toward a BA....thoughts??

I recently sent in my information for my private pilot license and received 6 credits.

https://www2.tesu.edu/OPLR/client.php?cl...nt=FAA-FIR
Submit documentation of successful completion
In order to receive credit for your FAA certification(s), please:
1. Download and personalize this form letter (personalize information in red ).
2. Multiple certifications may be submitted, so be sure to check ALL certifications you have earned.
3. Send your personalized letter to the FAA at the address in the letter.
4. The FAA will then send an Official College Credit Letter to Thomas Edison State University which includes the information the University requires to award credit.
(03-29-2020, 02:58 PM)graduatesoon Wrote: He can go on to get his private pilot license and get credit for that at TESU toward a BA....thoughts??

I recently sent in my information for my private pilot license and received 6 credits.

https://www2.tesu.edu/OPLR/client.php?cl...nt=FAA-FIR
Submit documentation of successful completion
In order to receive credit for your FAA certification(s), please:
1. Download and personalize this form letter (personalize information in red ).
2. Multiple certifications may be submitted, so be sure to check ALL certifications you have earned.
3. Send your personalized letter to the FAA at the address in the letter.
4. The FAA will then send an Official College Credit Letter to Thomas Edison State University which includes the information the University requires to award credit.

Great! I couldn't find how many it is worth but that's wonderful!

(03-29-2020, 02:50 PM)natshar Wrote: Intro to Ethics on Sophia is currently free and should work. No way to know 100% because Sophia/TESU transfer page is down. But it would save you over $1k. If on some off chance Sophia doesn't work are other options much cheaper than TESU.

Thanks Natshar! Would you go ahead and enroll him in the Information Literacy class today for start tomorrow?

Trident Technical College: Certified Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, EKG Technician, 1994-1996
Yes for sure. That is required class and you have to take it at TESU. So if is able and ready to take it now don't wait so he can graduate asap.
  • bsinsc
What is your budget bsinsc? And what is your time frame for wanting your son to finish his Associates? Sept/December graduation? I see you have another thread that I answered to: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...A-question

This is what I would recommend if you have a "bigger budget". Have him finish 16 credits at TESU and apply for the AA, those credits would already give your son residency credits for use towards the BA. The calculations are on the previous post but I'll just paste it here...

So, to recap, with Study.com discount: $379 x 16 credits = $6064 for an Associates & Bachelors degree
This fee can be cheaper if he takes 3 months to do ALL those credits, it'll just be under $4K ($3,963 flat rate)
Paying the residency waiver: $379 x 6 + $2800 = $5074 for both the Associates & Bachelors degree

Again, I would suggest him to take 16 credits for GPA purposes, so I wouldn't rush him using the flat rate just to save cash. It's the long run for a BA/BS we're after anyways and that 16 credits will be for future residency requirements if he decides to add a BA/BS to that Associates.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-29-2020, 03:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: What is your budget bsinsc? And what is your time frame for wanting your son to finish his Associates?  Sept/December graduation?  I see you have another thread that I answered to: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...A-question

This is what I would recommend if you have a "bigger budget".  Have him finish 16 credits at TESU and apply for the AA, those credits would already give your son residency credits for use towards the BA.  The calculations are on the previous post but I'll just paste it here...

So, to recap, with Study.com discount: $379 x 16 credits = $6064 for an Associates & Bachelors degree
This fee can be cheaper if he takes 3 months to do ALL those credits, it'll just be under $4K ($3,963 flat rate)
Paying the residency waiver: $379 x 6 + $2800 = $5074 for both the Associates & Bachelors degree

Again, I would suggest him to take 16 credits for GPA purposes, so I wouldn't rush him using the flat rate just to save cash.  It's the long run for a BA/BS we're after anyways and that 16 credits will be for future residency requirements if he decides to add a BA/BS to that Associates.
Well, I guess my thought is for him to get the AA and move on to flight school....he can get 6 credits for private pilot license once he gets that if he decides to go on and get a BA...if not, an AA is fine for him to check off the box once he gets all of his flight training done and get a job. We've already spent a ton on traditional college so I am not anxious for him to wait anymore. He's not a great student and he needs to be off my payroll sooner rather than later.

I'm pretty sure your son's situation is very close to mine. I have adhd, low grades and did not function well in the school setting. When I transferred my classes to TESU my F's do not show up obviously and they will only take D's as long as the avg stays above a 2.0. So most of those if not all of the credits should come in.

I followed lots of folks advice on here but mainly went with bjcheung77's plan on all LL courses. For the UL BALS-SS I did my UL classes with TEEX Death Investigation course at Coopersmith (Great provider! It was by far the best option for my style of learning which is cram all the studying in and then take a single test). After starting in Jan 19 with around 55 credits I just submitted my final paper for capstone and should graduate in June.
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes darthweezy's post:
  • bsinsc
(03-30-2020, 05:25 PM)darthweezy Wrote: I'm pretty sure your son's situation is very close to mine. I have adhd, low grades and did not function well in the school setting. When I transferred my classes to TESU my F's do not show up obviously and they will only take D's as long as the avg stays above a 2.0. So most of those if not all of the credits should come in.

I followed lots of folks advice on here but mainly went with bjcheung77's plan on all LL courses. For the UL BALS-SS I did my UL classes with TEEX Death Investigation course at Coopersmith (Great provider! It was by far the best option for my style of learning which is cram all the studying in and then take a single test). After starting in Jan 19 with around 55 credits I just submitted my final paper for capstone and should graduate in June.

Congratulations!!!! Best of luck to you. I hope my son can do the same.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 2 43 1 hour ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 588 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,164 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,902 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 200 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 195 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,129 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Confused Brit looking for advice BritStudent 30 1,968 04-16-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: allvia
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 389 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,294 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77