Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help
Lightbulb 
I have been lurking the forums since 2010... I am ashamed to say I have never been fully able to understand the intricacies of creating my own degree plan. Over the years I have watched the degrees become harder to obtain. I recently pulled the trigger and applied to TESU. I received my evaluations back and I am trying to decide how to proceed. If anyone would be so kind and help me translate the evaluation and guide me to the best course of action I would be forever grateful.

Your Location: California, United States.
Your Age: 30
What kind of degree do you want?: My evaluation is currently for a General Management, BS (BS.GENMG) at TESU but I am open to any alternatives if there is a better price/ timeline. My career path doesn't really take the major into account. Ultimately, a sheepskin for a BS is what I am trying to obtain, if there are add ons for an AS and a path for a MS I would prefer that path.
Current Regional Accredited Credits:

Moorpark Community College- Total Credits: 9

ANTH01/Physical Anthropology
B
12/1/2009
ANT-160
B
Undergraduate

PSY01/Intro to Psychology
B
12/1/2009
PSY-101
B
Undergraduate

SOC01/Intro to Sociology
C
12/1/2009
SOC-101
C
Undergraduate

Santa Barbara City College- Total Credits: 39.80

MDT101/Infor Intro to MDT
CR
5/1/2010
DIV-101
CR
Undergraduate

MDT104/Fund Prac Div
CR
5/1/2010
DIV-102
CR
Undergraduate

MDT105/Adv Scuba Tech
B
5/1/2010
DIV-104
B
Undergraduate

MDT106/Open Wtr Navig Rscu
CR
5/1/2010
DIV-141
CR
Undergraduate

MDT107/Hyper Chamber Oper
C
5/1/2010
DIV-199
C
Undergraduate

MDT108/Rigging
C
5/1/2010
DIV-199
C
Undergraduate

MDT111/First Aid Diving Pr
CR
5/1/2010
HEA-190
CR
Undergraduate

MDT112/Intro to Marine Welding
B
5/1/2010
TEC-131
B
Undergraduate

MDT140/Prin Surf Supp Divn
CR
5/1/2010
DIV-122
CR
Undergraduate

MDT141/Commercial Div Equip
B
5/1/2010
DIV-199
B
Undergraduate

MDT148/Hydraulics I
B
5/1/2010
EGM-231
B
Undergraduate

MDT109/Seamanship
C
12/1/2010
MSC-151
C
Undergraduate

MDT142/Surf Supplied Ocean Div
A
12/1/2010
DIV-123
A
Undergraduate

MDT143/Mixed Gas Diving
C
12/1/2010
DIV-199
C
Undergraduate

MDT145/Prin Underwtr Weld
B
12/1/2010
TEC-132
B
Undergraduate

MDT146/Adv Underwt Cut Wld
A
12/1/2010
TEC-133
A
Undergraduate

MDT147/Ocean Struct
A
12/1/2010
TEC-199
A
Undergraduate

MDT152/U W Tool Inspection
B
12/1/2010
DIV-199
B
Undergraduate

MDT154/Bell Satur Diving
B
12/1/2010
DIV-199
B
Undergraduate

MDT179/Nitrox Diving
C
12/1/2010
DIV-199
C
Undergraduate

MDT190/Diving Competence
CR
5/1/2010
DIV-199
CR
Undergraduate

MDT190/Diving Competence
CR
12/1/2010
DIV-199
CR
Undergraduate

EMT110/Emt Basic
B
5/1/2011
EMT-111
B
Undergraduate

DRFT101/Basic Drafting
B
12/1/2010
GRA-221
B
Undergraduate

AmericanWaterCollege.org CEUS- Total: 12 

Water Treatment Basics 97.33% 3.6 ceus
Distribution System Basics 97.78% 3.6 ceus
Water Transmission and Distribution I 98.44% 4.8 ceus

Any certifications? Water Distribution Operator License 2 and Water Treatment Operator License 2

Budget: I have a max of $9K per year available from my employer via tuition reimbursement. This is only available for classes and books (not testing and proctors).  I'd like to go the fastest route possible even if it requires me to pay out of pocket for testing.  
Commitments: Three kids a spouse. I currently work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends.
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free. I estimate at least 3 hours every week night and on the weekends, maybe 6 hours, total would be roughly 15+12=27 hours or slightly more.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 1-1.5 years (12-18 months)
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Yes, my workplace, I can utilize up to $9k per year on classes.

Here is a link to my TESU evaluation!
Your TESU evaluation didn't get attached, for some reason. It happens sometimes. Try adding a new post with an attachment.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-04-2022, 02:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Your TESU evaluation didn't get attached, for some reason. It happens sometimes. Try adding a new post with an attachment.

It was there last night - must have been lost when he edited his post. Only electives, and Intro to Sociology and Psychology from memory (means diversity and intercultural literacy was crossed off). No other Gen Eds or major-specific courses. I didn't have much time to think about it last night but my first thought was to just start with Sophia.
Cool, this is what I propose, You should go for all the non-proctored courses I am starting you off with:  Invest in a second monitor, start working on non-proctored courses from Sophia.  Link: Sophia.org Equivalency List

1) Sign up for Sophia.org before Sept 15 with code BTS22, it's $99/month but with the code, you get $25 off the first month, I suggest trying to complete all of these and more within two months.  Complete the courses that transfer to TESU/UMPI, it's all non-proctored, use the second monitor to review the e-books/pdf files.

2) Sign up for CSM Learn, https://www.smilabs.org/products/csmcourse
Wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/CSM_Learn
3) Sign up for (TADA) The American Dream Academy and complete all their offerings (ones for ACE credit, it's for the cert/experience/knowledge) Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera

2 months Sophia.org: $75+$99
CSM Learn: $39
FREE TADA/Coursera - again, only work on ACE TADA options
FREE CLEP/ModernStates.org - if you need any courses to transfer
Subtotal: $213 (Amazingly affordable, a years worth of credits right there!)

1) Do the Pierpont BOG AAS with a minor of your choice, it can be Info Systems or Wielding, the cost is just transcripts.
2) Take all the ACE recommended credit from Coursera/TADA, these will be used for both Pierpont and TESU/UMPI requirements
Steps to get the BOG AAS on WIKI: Pierpont C&TC | Work on the ones that are TADA only: Coursera

3) After you have finished the Pierpont BOG AAS with emphasis and the Coursera/TADA certs for ACE credit, apply to TESU/UMPI.
-Make sure to complete the Sophia.org courses such as Spanish I and also Study.com courses that go towards UMPI.
-When applying to UMPI, add the AALS as a second program (and forget the AALS).

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide if the Pierpont BOG AAS with emphasis is worth the ROI/Value, I know both are.
They are well worth it as you get the AALS free without doing any extra work, and the BOG AAS for the cost of transcripts.

When you're done with these in a few months, update me and your final batch of courses will be through Study.com - Although not free, these will be $200/month for 2 courses, and for extra exams a month, $70/each.  To finish off the degrees, your last requirements are the residency courses from the institution you decide to go with.

*Side note* You have 39.80 credits that are in the technical trades, this may work for UMPI BAS instead of BLS, you need just 1 more credit to hit the 40...  I suggest UMPI over TESU, but just in case, you should decide after you complete your Sophia, CSM, TADA ACE credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • gamebradie, louise, Pikachu
First, I'm going to challenge a course: ANTH01 is actually Biological Anthropology at MCC, and is considered a NatSci course - so I'm going to send TESU the syllabus and a page from the catalog showing that it's a NatSci course, and have them change that and put it in science.

Second, I'm going to suggest some other options, since you mentioned FAST being your #1 goal; and a business degree is not actually necessary but probably your "bent" if you suggested it:

1) TESU BALS, with Undergrad cert in Ops Management - this gives an "oomph" to your general degree, but allows you to bring in 30cr of Free Electives, making you that much closer to a degree (the BSBA only allows 15cr of FE's and you have 36cr there already) - you'll end up taking 9 more credits that are FE's, but that's still better than losing 21cr that you have now: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/liberal-studies and https://www.tesu.edu/business/undergradu...management (Computer Concepts and Applications counts as a science, Stats will count as your Quantitative Literacy, and MIS will be an UL Liberal Arts course, so you get 9cr that you can use in the degree)

2) EC's BPS, which is just a different kind of business degree, still plenty of business courses there, but more flexible - and also allows for 33cr of Free Electives (as opposed to 6cr for the Business degree): https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...anagement/

3) UMPI's BLS w/minor in Management - a "business-lite" degree, but flexible in allowing 54cr of Free Electives: https://online.umpi.edu/degrees/undergra...ent-minor/

For price, it depends:

1) TESU will be $3210 for reimbursable tuition (6cr), and then $3586 in non-reimbursable fees if you do the per-credit tuition
2) TESU will be $4778 for reimbursable tuition (16cr), and then $298 in non-reimbursable fees if you do a FT/FR 16cr term that we discuss on here (and this will be a crazy 12 weeks for you)
3) EC will be $3570 for reimbursable tuition (7cr), and then $461 in non-reimbursable fees (and you can take Info Lit & the cornerstone in one 8week term, and then the capstone in a separate 8week term, thus disrupting your family time less than the others I think)
4) UMPI will be $1400/term x however many terms you take (usually 2, but some have done it in 1 and others with multiple minors in 3); no non-reimbursable fees for you except maybe a graduation fee or something like that (haven't heard of one though)

IMHO, if you want the biggest bang for your buck, you should do the UMPI BLS degree - I think it will be the fastest and easiest and cheapest out-of-pocket for you. The best way to see if it will work though, is by signing up for Sophia and doing ALL of your GEC possible there, and then some (for the remaining Free Electives) and then signing up for Study.com and doing your American Government and Bio w/Lab. If you can really hammer through these courses quickly (say 5+ courses in a month), then you are proving to yourself that you can do the UMPI competency-based degree. If you get stuck, and can't motivate yourself without deadlines, then you're probably better off at EC or TESU.

Second choice, or if UMPI is not for you - EC's BPS. I think this is a solid degree, and I think the pricing is better than TESU - certainly better than their per-credit plan, and easier than their FT/FR plan.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-04-2022, 03:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote: 4) UMPI will be $1400/term x however many terms you take (usually 2, but some have done it in 1 and others with multiple minors in 3); no non-reimbursable fees for you except maybe a graduation fee or something like that (haven't heard of one though)

UMPI charges a flat fee of $1400 per session. There are absolutely no additional fees of any kind. No books to buy either. There is no fee for graduation either.
(09-04-2022, 03:48 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 03:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote: 4) UMPI will be $1400/term x however many terms you take (usually 2, but some have done it in 1 and others with multiple minors in 3); no non-reimbursable fees for you except maybe a graduation fee or something like that (haven't heard of one though)

UMPI charges a flat fee of $1400 per session. There are absolutely no additional fees of any kind. No books to buy either. There is no fee for graduation either.

So for people with Tuition Reimbursement plans that won't pay for fees, UMPI wins hands-down.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
Heck, since OP mentioned AS, BS, then ladder to MS, with the 1-1.5 year time frame and having that budget of $9K, plus intrinsic decision on applying to TESU... You can always decide on staying with TESU, jumping to UMPI or another institution. I still suggest completing what I mentioned above, Pierpont BOG AAS & UMPI AALS, ladder up to UMPI BAS, then do UMPI MAOL...

My first thought actually was to do a double Associates and Bachelors at TESU, also using the Bachelors to Masters option to max the graduate credits.  But for a newbie, that's too complicated to explain in a thread post, it's best to get the credits first.  I'll just give you the run down, the TLDR version, this will take much more energy, money, time especially since you have kids...

TESU degrees only require 18 UL credits, the Bachelors to Masters option provides you 12 UL credits, you just need 1 UL course and the UL capstone to fulfill those requirements.  So, BALS you will need 12 UL, BSBA another 12 UL credits.  Some institutions do not allow the 'reusing' of Masters level credits that's been applied to a Bachelors.  To circumvent that, take extra alternative credit UL courses!

Seriously, you can do the Pierpont/UMPI combo in that 1.5 year time frame, probably finish the MAOL also within 2 years.
Here's a quick read where I explained the B to M roughly two years ago: Bachelor to Masters program at TESU
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hello everyone! I have been a member here for years and have started and stopped my degree journey a few times for various reasons.
Your Location: California
Your Age: 32
What kind of degree do you want?: I am open to suggestions, business or possibly something that can help me become an Engineer with a P.E. in the future.

Current Regional Accredited Credits:
Ventura College (2009): 9 credits
Actual: ANTH01/Physical Anthropology Equivalent: ANT-160 Credits: 3 Grade: B
Actual: PSY01/Intro to Psychology Equivalent: PSY-101 Credits: 3 Grade: B
Actual: SOC01/Intro to Sociology Equivalent: SOC-101 Credits: 3 Grade: C

Santa Barbara City College (2010-2011): 39.80 credits
Transfer Course/Title MDT101/Infor Intro to MDT Credits 0.30 Grade CR Equivalent DIV-101
Transfer Course/Title MDT104/Fur1d Prac Div Credits 3.80 Grade CR Equivalent DIV-102
Transfer Course/Title MDT112/Intro to Marine Welding Credits 1.10 Grade B Equivalent TEc-131
Transfer Course/Title MDT148/Hydraulics I Credits 1.30 Grade B Equivalent EGM-231
Transfer Course/Title MDT143/Mixed Gas Diving Credits 1.70 Grade C Equivalent DIV-199
Transfer Course/Title MDT145/Prin UnderwtrWeld Credits 1.30 Grade B Equivalent TEC-132
Transfer Course/Title MDT146/Adv Underwt cut Wld Credits 0.60 Grade A Equivalent TEC-133
Transfer Course/Title MDT147/Ocean Struct Credits 0.90 Grade A Equivalent TEC-199
Transfer Course/Title MDT152/U W Tool Inspection Credits 1.90 Grade B Equivalent DIV-199
Transfer Course/Title MDT154/Bell Satur Diving Credits 2.20 Grade B Equivalent DIV-199
Transfer Course/Title MDT179/NitrOX Diving Credits 0.80 Grade C Equivalent DIV-199
Transfer Course/Title MDT190/Diving Competence Credits 1.00 Grade CR Equivalent DIV-199
Transfer Course/Title EMT110/EMT Basic Credits 5.00 Grade B Equivalent EMT-111

The attachment has a copy of my unofficial SBCC transcript, some credits were not accepted.

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 12 credits
Microeconomics, ECON1002, Sophia, 3 credits, 92%
Macroeconomics, ECON1001, Sophia, 3 credits, 89%
Introduction to statistics, STAT1001, Sophia, 3 credits, 89%
College algebra, CA1001, Sophia, 3 credits, 88%

Any certifications or military experience?
ADCI surface supplied commercial diver
ADCI surface supplied commercial diving supervisor
California water distribution operator 2
California water treatment operator 2
CPR, First aid, AED, and O2 provider

Budget: $7,500, my budget is a little tight, however I am determined to get this done sooner than later so a healthy balance between finances and speed would be ideal.
Commitments: Full time employment and a father of 3, all of the kids are in sports. My typical work day is 3:30am- 7:00pm with about an hour or two free throughout the day.

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: My job offers $10,000 per year in tuition reimbursement. However, it is an arduous process of getting approval for each class prior to beginning and then getting approved for reimbursement after successful completion. They also do not reimburse for testing.

Dedicated time to study: About 10-20 hours a week split between down time at work and weekends. I primarily have access to my iPhone and computer time would be limited mostly to weekends.
Timeline: ASAP. I would like to finish as quickly as possible

I don’t have an immediate need for a degree but I want to get it secured before I need it. My company has career opportunities available that require a bachelors degree. At some point commercial diving will not be a good fit anymore due to age.

I was enrolled in TESU last year and began my Sophia courses but then lost interest. I would really like to get my associates degree in the near term and then pursue a bachelors or two.
I am an avid test taker and I don’t mind doing virtual classes where I can get through a class in a few days.
If someone could help demystify the process and point me in the right direction, with clear and detailed instructions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you friends!
bjcheung77 - Thank you so much for the reply! I feel so bad I never saw these.

dfrecore - I really appreciate your time, I never saw this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbiw Advice - Direction - Reality Check OchoNombres 1 78 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 100 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 184 04-24-2024, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 163 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 99 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,855 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 222 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,610 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 134 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 228 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM