Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW here.
Hello,

I already have an associates degree in CS and have around 80 credits, and I am confused about which degree would be best and hackable?

I applied at UMPI, but confused about what major should I choose. I was unaware of BLS, so is it respected? if I go for a BLS, with Information System concentration, would it be a good choice?
@gyaaniowl, Welcome to the board, that's a good introduction post with a bit of info, it's best for you to provide details requested in the addendum and template sticky thread right above your new post. The more details, the better we can assist you with, I'm pretty much going to indicate TESU or UMPI for now, something like this thread here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-CS-BS-CIS
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you want a Computer Science degree or tech focused degree check out WGU. They got CS, IT, and SWE and more.

https://www.wgu.edu/lp/it/lead/general.html?

If you want to work in the tech field I don't think a BLS would be the best choice. A BLS is more of a "checkbox" degree. WGU is like UMPI where you can do unlimited courses in six month terms. Many people finish in one 6 month term especially if you transfer in a lot of credits and experience. With enough effort you could get your Bachelors in 6 months or less.
(04-04-2024, 12:16 PM)natshar Wrote: WGU is like UMPI where you can do unlimited courses in six month terms. Many people finish in one 6 month term especially if you transfer in a lot of credits and experience. With enough effort you could get your Bachelors in 6 months or less.

WGU is a good choice for some students. However, many students who attempt a WGU IT or CS degree need at least 2 six-month terms to finish the degree. That's still cheap, compared to other universities, but they expect a few certificates with exams that can be difficult to pass. It's important to go into the degree with a full understanding of the process and what will be expected.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Most institutions we recommend are 'hackable' up to 75% of the degree, or 90 credits. The remainder of the degree requirements, the 25% or 30 credits, must be completed as residency credits and most likely the major and have a specific set of classes you have to take. It's really going to be hard to recommend anything as your first step right now is to provide more details... Without providing those details, we're blindly providing you options which you're already confused on which route to go, we won't know what suits you without knowing your budget, commitments, dedicated time to study, study habits, etc.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-04-2024, 03:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 12:16 PM)natshar Wrote: WGU is like UMPI where you can do unlimited courses in six month terms. Many people finish in one 6 month term especially if you transfer in a lot of credits and experience. With enough effort you could get your Bachelors in 6 months or less.

WGU is a good choice for some students. However, many students who attempt a WGU IT or CS degree need at least 2 six-month terms to finish the degree. That's still cheap, compared to other universities, but they expect a few certificates with exams that can be difficult to pass. It's important to go into the degree with a full understanding of the process and what will be expected.

True but if OP has an associates in CS and can probably do some ACE credit to cover any gen ed gaps (if needed) they likely have the knowledge and could come in with 50-75% of the degree done, so one term wouldn't be crazy. Even two terms wouldn't be that bad. A bachelors in under a year is good by any stetch.

I just think taking a few months to get a better tech focused degree would probably be better than a BLS degree. And it might not even take a few more months to get a WGU tech degree vs UMPI BLS it COULD be about the same timeline.
(04-04-2024, 09:54 PM)natshar Wrote:

True but if OP has an associates in CS and can probably do some ACE credit to cover any gen ed gaps (if needed) they likely have the knowledge and could come in with 50-75% of the degree done, so one term wouldn't be crazy. Even two terms wouldn't be that bad. A bachelors in under a year is good by any stetch.

I just think taking a few months to get a better tech focused degree would probably be better than a BLS degree. And it might not even take a few more months to get a WGU tech degree vs UMPI BLS it COULD be about the same timeline.

True, a tech degree is going to be better than a UMPI BLS. However, if it does take 2+ WGU terms, TESU becomes the cheaper and possibly easier option at that point.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-04-2024, 09:54 PM)natshar Wrote:

If those transfer credits are older than 5 years, WGU won't take them, and you will have to start from scratch. Also, there are no free electives for non-matching courses.

WGU generally isn't great for transfer students.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az