Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degrees that can be obtained using only alternative credits.
What are the non-generic degrees (i.e. not BALS or BSBA in General Management) that can be fully tested out of (aside from Capstone/Cornerstone requirements)?

I know that BA in Psychology can via TESU (as outlined here).

I saw a post in another thread that a BSBA in Healthcare Management is now achievable this way, and though I'm not sure what they are I think there are other BSBA areas of study that are achievable.

BAs in History and Sociology from TESU are each one class away (Historical Methods and Social Theory, respectively), though perhaps Study.com's Historiography & Historical Methods will get ACE accreditation soon.

Any other majors that are fully test-friendly?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • a2jc4life, jsd
What is your reason for getting a degree? It's probably better to find the field you want to study and then look for a degree that fits it.

Have you looked at WCU? They allow 90 credits to transfer in. Its a flat rate of $3,000-4,000 for 6 months of courses. Their entire program is competency based, so you could push through the last 30 credits within 6 months. A few people have even done this with their MBA program.
I should have clarified: I'm not asking for my personal decision, as I've got other factors that mean I can't do a solely alt-credit degree. I'm just asking out of curiosity as to which ones can be obtained this way.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Completed:

Up Next:

(10-18-2018, 07:20 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: What is your reason for getting a degree? It's probably better to find the field you want to study and then look for a degree that fits it.

Have you looked at WCU? They allow 90 credits to transfer in. Its a flat rate of $3,000-4,000 for 6 months of courses. Their entire program is competency based, so you could push through the last 30 credits within 6 months. A few people have even done this with their MBA program.

Good morning!
Is that the norm for WGU to allow 90 credits to be transferred in?  Or is that more of an exception?
(10-19-2018, 06:22 AM)acamp Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 07:20 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: What is your reason for getting a degree? It's probably better to find the field you want to study and then look for a degree that fits it.

Good morning!
Is that the norm for WGU to allow 90 credits to be transferred in?  Or is that more of an exception?

That is the norm for most programs, the Big 3 are the exceptions.
(10-18-2018, 06:10 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: What are the non-generic degrees (i.e. not BALS or BSBA in General Management) that can be fully tested out of (aside from Capstone/Cornerstone requirements)?

I saw a post in another thread that a BSBA in Healthcare Management is now achievable this way, and though I'm not sure what they are I think there are other BSBA areas of study that are achievable.

BAs in History and Sociology from TESU are each one class away (Historical Methods and Social Theory, respectively), though perhaps Study.com's Historiography & Historical Methods will get ACE accreditation soon.

That's a big ask. Whenever a company adds a class, the answer changes again - so you have to have people who are watching for that, and that usually only happens for personal reasons. For instance, I'm watching for hospitality courses, because that changes (maybe) my son's degree plan (probably not). With Studycom's new set of computer science courses, that opened up a lot of options for a lot of people- but as an example, I'm not going to chase that down and start writing degree plans for various colleges in computer science unless I'm pursuing computer science, does that make sense?

It's a never-ending-matrix of variables - staying abreast of the big 3 + WGU is hard enough, and that's probably where this board is the most knowledgeable. As a rule, anyone else is going to need 30 credits in residence, so you have to build a plan for the other 90. (assuming they accept 90) That's what you'll find in almost every one of Straighterline's partners as an example- though some actually accept less than 90 in transfer.

I know what you're asking, you want to know if you can get a degree "in" something vs business or liberal arts- but unless you're asking Dfrecore, I don't know anyone else here who keeps spreadsheets so a better way to get what you're looking for is to ignore the gen eds (which can be completed via test out for every degree) and start researching courses in the majors. If you're looking for psych as an example, go through all the resources you can find, plug in what feels like a match, and then throw your work out for critique. It's essentially "peer review" which is a wonderful thing and will work beautifully. At that point, people will have a lot more ability to help you because you'll get more knowledge about classes than degrees. Maybe 20 of us have taken Social Psychology at TESU for 6 credits but none of us have earned a degree in Psych - does that make sense? But based on what Social Psych looks like on a transcript, there is a lot of assumptions that can be made about how that will fill other degree requirements for other degrees. Hope that helps you get to your answers!
The answer also changes for the individual as some folks start with existing college credits, certifications good for credit, foreign language skills, or have PLA opportunities. People's ability to pay and available time also factors in. For instance, a number of degree plans depend on courses from community college, which works for some, but not all.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-19-2018, 08:39 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 06:10 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: What are the non-generic degrees (i.e. not BALS or BSBA in General Management) that can be fully tested out of (aside from Capstone/Cornerstone requirements)?

That's a big ask. Whenever a company adds a class, the answer changes again - so you have to have people who are watching for that, and that usually only happens for personal reasons. For instance, I'm watching for hospitality courses, because that changes (maybe) my son's degree plan (probably not). With Studycom's new set of computer science courses, that opened up a lot of options for a lot of people- but as an example, I'm not going to chase that down and start writing degree plans for various colleges in computer science unless I'm pursuing computer science, does that make sense?

Oh, I know no one is going to be able to rattle off all of them, I was just hoping people could contribute the ones they're aware of. Again, I don't really care for myself personally because I've got other factors to consider, but I just love how these programs work that I'm curious what the options are for someone who IS going to do a totally alternate credit degree.

(10-19-2018, 10:35 AM)davewill Wrote: The answer also changes for the individual as some folks start with existing college credits, certifications good for credit, foreign language skills, or have PLA opportunities. People's ability to pay and available time also factors in. For instance, a number of degree plans depend on courses from community college, which works for some, but not all.

Understood, and I guess what I'm asking is which ones don't require CC/PLA/etc. Again, it's just a curiosity thing as a "fan" of alt-credits, not something for me personally.

I guess, to summarize, this was more a theoretical exercise than something I actually want advice on.
Completed:

Up Next:

(10-19-2018, 11:46 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: ... Understood, and I guess what I'm asking is which ones don't require CC/PLA/etc. Again, it's just a curiosity thing as a "fan" of alt-credits, not something for me personally.

I guess, to summarize, this was more a theoretical exercise than something I actually want advice on.

It's the "theoretical" part that makes it hard.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-19-2018, 11:50 AM)davewill Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 11:46 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: ... Understood, and I guess what I'm asking is which ones don't require CC/PLA/etc. Again, it's just a curiosity thing as a "fan" of alt-credits, not something for me personally.

It's the "theoretical" part that makes it hard.

Understood, and I'm not asking for one person to "come to the rescue" with a list, just hoping maybe a few people could contribute one that they know can be done (i.e. I know that BA in Psychology is an option, so I listed that)
Completed:

Up Next:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,579 Yesterday, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 605 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,618 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 404 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 245 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 587 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 623 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,198 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 545 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar