Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Designing a plan for TESU BALS
Hi there, I have the spreadsheet BJ made for the TESU BALS but I don't want to take a lot of the classes he listed as examples. How do I know what classes or tests I can use to fulfill the requirements?  I know that if I have a specific course in mind from a third party provider, I can contact TESU directly to see if it fulfills the requirements. But what I want to do, is at least narrow it down a bit. For instance, can General Electives be anything at all? How do I know what courses from different providers count as Knowledge of Human Cultures or another category?

I have been on hiatus for about a year but I want to try to finish my degree as fast as I can. Right now I have 35 credits from Straighterline/Aleks and free sources. 

If anyone has advice on which providers are quickest to finish classes (or if tests are actually faster) I would appreciate any input on that also. I found Straighterline was good for open book tests, but the closed book tests were really annoying, as most of the time the questions on the test weren't really about subject knowledge, more about knowing a verbatim sentence from an obscure part of the textbook. So I don't really want to do any more Straighterline courses. I saw someone say that Schmoop is no longer accepted by TESU. I know Study.com is expensive and takes a long time to complete. I am leaning towards maybe just signing up to instantcert and doing CLEP tests, but I still am not sure which subject tests to use for the BALS.

Lastly, thank you everyone for not getting impatient with me as I fumble around. I am dealing with major depressive disorder while also trying to improve my life so I am feeling really overwhelmed but I still want to keep trucking on.

CLEP and DSST are the best options. Easy to learn with adequate resources.

Start by listing what credits you DO have already and you will get a lot more help.
Thank you, I mostly just wanted to know how to help myself. I can't seem to figure out how people 'know' what courses count for what categories.

I would love to be able to transfer to WGU for a teaching degree but I am not sure if I can afford it so I am starting out with the BALS and seeing how I progress.

Right now I have:

COM-209/COM-108
ORAL COMM - Intro to Communications - in progress @ straighterline

MAT-121
QUANTITATIVE LITERACY - College Algebra - aleks

REL-277
INFO LITERACY - Intro to Religion - SL

ANT-101
DIVERSITY - Cultural Anthropology - SL

PHI-384
ETHICS - Insurance Ethics

POS-110
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT - American Government - SL

AOJ-102
Criminal Justice - SL

SOC-101
Sociology - SL

ENS-200
Introduction to Environmental Science - SL

HIS-114
US History II - SL

HIS-101
Western Civilizations I - SL

HIS-102
Western Civilizations II - SL

Developing Effective Teams - sophia

Introduction to Statistics - aleks

Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online course) 
Fire Service Supervision: Self Study 
National Emergency Training Center (NFA)
NNFA-0145
Course
07/10/2017
Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators 

Mostly we read here a lot so we know what people were able to use. However there are some rules. General Ed courses are any sort of English, math, science, or history course. If it could fit somewhere in the GenEd area, it can also be a GenEd elective. Business and applied science courses are examples of things that are not considered GenEds. TESU is unusual in that they will consider many computer science courses GenEd when other schools don't. The categories of courses for GenEd also tracks closely with the categories of courses that will fit in a Liberal Studies AOS.

Only "Free Electives" can be anything that's worth college credit. That's part of what makes TESU BA degrees so flexible, they have as many as 27cr of free electives, which gives people who took a bunch of applied science courses (like for an AAS or from the military) or just random stuff a place to use them.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I personally don't think that Study.com courses are expensive OR time-consuming, and considering how they've kind of overtaken everything else on this forum, I don't think many others think that either.

Testing out is just fine though, so if you have a testing center that's convenient, go for it.

BTW - the DSST exams cost about $85, and if you add a testing center fee, that's going to cost more than a Study.com course (which are basically 2 for $199 in a month). So they are going to be MORE expensive than Study.com

If you want to see what TESU considers Knowledge of Human Cultures, just go to their website and check their Gen Eds section. Look at the categories of courses, rather than the actual courses themselves. You'll see Humanities courses (Art, Music, Theater, English, Lit, Religion, etc.) and SocSci courses (History, Psych, Sociology, PoliSci, etc.).

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Particularly not expensive if you get the free 6month scholarship that doesn’t seem to be all that selective
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(06-11-2018, 07:01 PM)jsd Wrote: Particularly not expensive if you get the free 6month scholarship that doesn’t seem to be all that selective

I think that is no longer available.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You’re probably right. I see the application form is still up and the original post doesn’t state an expiration date, but i wouldn’t expect it to last forever. And I haven’t been as active around here as I used to be, so I’ve probably missed a lot of things like this.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(06-11-2018, 09:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 07:01 PM)jsd Wrote: Particularly not expensive if you get the free 6month scholarship that doesn’t seem to be all that selective

I think that is no longer available.

People were getting it as recently as last month.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I haven't verified it, but this thread from a few days ago, seems to indicate that might be the case.
Previous thread link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Study-com-info?
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,925 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,321 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore