Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did UMPI change their science requirement?
I was looking at the UMPI sophia transfer equivalent wiki and the GEC requirements on the UMPI website and was wondering why human biology is listed as a GEC on both.

I was under the impression that Sophia's human biology will not count as a GEC and I need to take SDC's biology with lab.

I would appreciate some clarification on this. 

If there is a thread that I might have missed, please direct me to that.

Thank you all for your help on this forum. 
I'm looking to graduate with my BA in accounting next year at UMPI, thanks to all of your help Smile
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Easy, you have to take a science course with a lab, thus you need the Sophia.org Human Biology and the Study.com Biology 101L with the lab, your final science course can be the Sophia.org Environmental Science. Tada! You're now done with the 3 required sciences! Easy right?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Pikachu
Different degrees have different GEC requirements.  Those requirements are hidden until you register with UMPI.

For example the Business Admin, you can't transfer in college algebra and you must take 140 Business Math at UMPI.

I believe UMPI has the most complex GEC to understand!
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu
(11-20-2021, 06:52 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote: I was looking at the UMPI sophia transfer equivalent wiki and the GEC requirements on the UMPI website and was wondering why human biology is listed as a GEC on both.

I was under the impression that Sophia's human biology will not count as a GEC and I need to take SDC's biology with lab.

I would appreciate some clarification on this. 

If there is a thread that I might have missed, please direct me to that.

Thank you all for your help on this forum. 
I'm looking to graduate with my BA in accounting next year at UMPI, thanks to all of your help Smile

There are multiple science requirements in the GEC. Sophia's Human Biology fills 3C and Study.com's Biology with lab fills 3E. Sophia's Environmental Science will fill 3D as well.

(11-20-2021, 07:20 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Different degrees have different GEC requirements.  Those requirements are hidden until you register with UMPI.

For example the Business Admin, you can't transfer in college algebra and you must take 140 Business Math at UMPI.

I believe UMPI has the most complex GEC to understand!

Actually College Algebra can transfer in for a general elective. It can also be used in the GEC as you need 40 credits and MAT140 will fill 3A and 3B. College Algebra (MAT117) will also fill both of those, but you are required to complete MAT140 for the BABA degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
Further to what was mentioned by ss20ts, for any reason you don't like Biology and like Chemistry more, you can opt to take the Chem w/lab at Study.com instead of the Bio w/lab course. It all depends, the courses both require Labster which is a subscription of $50/month for each lab course... pick your poison so to speak...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Yes, College Algebra will transfer into your electives as will any Sophia course that doesn't fulfill the GEC.

However, since you have to take 140 Business Math which satisfies the GEC requirement, you don't need to take College Algebra.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu
You need a biological science, and a physical science - and one of those must have a lab attached.  Therefore, if you take Sophia's Human Biology as your Biological science, then your physical science course is going to need a lab.  Or you can flip it, and take Sophia's Environmental Science as your physical science, and then your biological science will need a lab.  If you take both Sophia science courses, that's fine - but you're still going to need a lab science from somewhere (a full 4cr course).  You can't just take a lab somewhere and think you're good.

Study.com is cheaper than SL which is why we recommend it.  But it doesn't have to be from there - it can be from anywhere. ASU's Univeral Learner program has several lab sciences:
AST111: Intro to Solar Systems Astronomy (Physical science, 4cr) - available as 8-week only
BIO100: The Living World (Biological science, 4cr) - available as 8-week or Self-paced
CHM114: General Chemistry for Engineers (Physical science, 4cr) - available as 8-week only
SES104: Habitable Worlds (Physical science, 4cr) - available as 8-week, 15-week or Self-paced
All are $25 to enroll, and then $400 if you want to get the course put on a transcript (can choose AFTER you receive a grade)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu
(11-20-2021, 07:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Easy, you have to take a science course with a lab, thus you need the Sophia.org Human Biology and the Study.com Biology 101L with the lab, your final science course can be the Sophia.org Environmental Science.  Tada! You're now done with the 3 required sciences!  Easy right?

Right. I get it now. Thanks Smile
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,340 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 423 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 305 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 281 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 407 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 96 62,472 04-01-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 324 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 306 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 342 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  First post, political science class guidance needed Daniel14 6 261 03-23-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: wildebeest