Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where's a good place to relocate if you're in tech ?
besides the usual SF/NY/Boston/LA/Seattle being tech hubs/centers, where else would be a good place to relocate without a job in hand but with almost 8 years of tech experience in front/back end development?

just wondering that's all. 

i've been eyeing a move to Dallas area because... it's cheap i guess. and the weathers not too bad for me. 

oh, and decent schools for my kids.
Austin has a lot of tech jobs. We have Apple, Google, Dell, Indeed, and some other major tech employers. San Antonio mainly has defense contractors who are looking for cybersecurity professionals with security clearances. However, I've heard that Dallas and Houston have higher tech salaries, and their costs of living are lower than Austin's.

Apple is expanding its Austin campus and is planning to hire thousands.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I was also going to post Austin. Denver is growing too, but the prices are skyrocketing.

Personally, if I were open to relocation, I would try to find the job first and then relocate. You have to be careful in doing this since many employers will see your resume and throw it out if you aren't living in their area. Not that you want to hide the address, but don't make it promenent. And where you do include your address, write something like "In process of relocation to X city." Then, you fill in the name of the city where you're applying.

The reason that you do this is because many employers won't consider someone who wants to relocate because they think you'll ask for relocation expenses. So, if you DO want to request relocation $$$$, my strategy is not the right one. If you're just looking to move for a job and willing to pay for the move, you need to make it look like you're already headed there.

I've done this before so can confirm that it works.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(03-01-2019, 12:25 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I was also going to post Austin.   Denver is growing too, but the prices are skyrocketing.

Personally, if I were open to relocation, I would try to find the job first and then relocate.   You have to be careful in doing this since many employers will see your resume and throw it out if you aren't living in their area.    Not that you want to hide the address, but don't make it promenent.   And where you do include your address, write something like "In process of relocation to X city."   Then, you fill in the name of the city where you're applying.

The reason that you do this is because many employers won't consider someone who wants to relocate because they think you'll ask for relocation expenses.   So, if you DO want to request relocation $$$$, my strategy is not the right one.   If you're just looking to move for a job and willing to pay for the move, you need to make it look like you're already headed there.  

I've done this before so can confirm that it works.

I agree.  I can't imagine moving and HOPING to find a job, unless I was unemployed already.  I would line up the job first.

You're probably going to have to budget several trips there, you could go for an interview and then spend a couple of days house-hunting while you're there just to get a feel for where you'd want to live, how far it would be from work, housing prices, schools, etc.

And if you want relocation expenses, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage, so if you can afford the move without their help, you're much better off.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would definitely consider landing a job, then moving, not vice versa. It really depends what specific sector of tech. For example, AWS has a lot of data centers in northern Virginia.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
The city where the office that hires you next is a good place to start looking for housing Wink
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(03-01-2019, 02:51 PM)jsd Wrote: The city where the office that hires you next is a good place to start looking for housing Wink

This is what I agree with most, it matters what the cost of living/housing is where you are going to move...
I would research the quality of living and the standards of education in that state/area you're moving to...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
We've moved a handful of times, but nothing was more stressful than moving across the country. Thank goodness we had a job lined up (my husband started a few months earlier) because the stress of moving under normal circumstances is crazy anyway. Another vote for get the job first. Wink
probably the most challenging part - getting that job first while i'm based overseas.

won't make financial sense for me to fly half way around to world to go for an interview too ~

urgh.. better get my TESU BA CS done first too.
(03-01-2019, 12:15 PM)sanantone Wrote: Austin has a lot of tech jobs. We have Apple, Google, Dell, Indeed, and some other major tech employers. San Antonio mainly has defense contractors who are looking for cybersecurity professionals with security clearances. However, I've heard that Dallas and Houston have higher tech salaries, and their costs of living are lower than Austin's.

Apple is expanding its Austin campus and is planning to hire thousands.

Dallas (DFW) area is still a strong tech area and yes, cost of living is lower. I’ve known people who moved from CA and from the east coast, sold their modest homes there and bought what most would consider a mansion here. Most live north of Dallas or north of mid cities area because most tech jobs are in north Dallas. Depends on how far you want to drive. We are spread out but have lots of highways. We calculate distance from work by minutes not miles because you could live closer to work but because of traffic, it could be nearly the same time as hopping on a freeway and going 10-20-30 miles home. Plano, Richardson, Frisco and north are $$$; Denton, Little Elm, Aubrey areas are less $$ due to distance, but still a reasonable commute to most jobs. I’d guess most spend a min of 30mins commuting to work here.

Not sure what you do now, but in most tech fields here, experience is very important. I’ve interviewed many people (for Oracle/Sybase DBA/Unix and General IT jobs) but never cared about a degree or noticed it, unless someone pointed it out. I interviewed a guy who apparently attended the Chinese version of MIT (a coworker pointed it out), but he couldn’t answer my tech questions, so he didn’t get a second interview. If the company requires the degree (usually someone above just likes the degree), it’ll get you past the initial HR/recruiter criteria to get the interview, but the skills need to be there, unless it’s entry level.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • Sapientes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 653 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Hating my job led me to this place upgrayedd 13 1,698 10-27-2022, 08:50 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Faced with a desperate skills shortage, tech leaders plead for CS reform in schools MNomadic 5 717 07-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,599 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 685 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 850 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  I need some tech support Vle045 5 825 08-20-2021, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Programming/tech books at Humble Bundle rachel83az 0 752 08-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Shocker - Common Core not giving good outcomes dfrecore 16 2,694 04-24-2020, 02:18 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  US vs foreign tech workers (moved from Study.com New CS Courses) armstrongsubero 17 2,395 12-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: nyvrem