Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differences in the GI Bill
Well, I am one of those few who are getting out soon back into the real world. Having some experience in virtually all different military jobs (infantryman to "burning your own dung"), I think I'm ready to get out. It seems that the economy crisis has also hit the military, as alot of MWR support and other soldier support is slowly disappearing. On top of that, it seems the DoD is making alot of budget cuts as we can't even complete equipment orders without division disapproving it. So I want to get out and go to school.

I finally got alot of ACAP briefs done, one of them related to the benefits of the GI Bill (montgomery and the post 9/11).

It almost seemed like they were trying to sell off the 9/11 bill, which I also figured out it's not even approved yet, and don't get me wrong it sounded delightful that they would pay to highest state college (which in Arizona is up to 14 grand!), but the whole BAH thing is pretty low (I would only be getting 800$ a month for full time). My military buds are saying that I should just stick with the Montgomery one. They pay you directly, but at a maximum of around 1300$ a month. What should I go for? I mean, I trust my buddies with my life, but they aren't very bright when it comes to processing information.

PS: are the Army's CLEP credits accepted throughout colleges in the US? because they are free for me to take and I like that price. Tongue
Take CLEPs for free while you can! If I had only known how easy it was to rack up credits that way...I could have thrown a rock from the deck of my ship and hit the test center. Sad Most colleges at least accept the general exams (Nat. Science, Social Science, College Math, Humanities, English Comp) and that's a very easy way to knock out your freshman year's worth of creds. Of course the Big 3 don't put a cap on those at all. Smile

RE: the GI bill, it depends on where you live and how expensive your tuition is. In places with low BAH, it may be worth it to stick with the MGIB. If you live in Miami or you're going to Stanford or something, the new one will probably come out on top. I still have to talk to somebody about this to double check, but in my area the MGIB is the better choice by a margin of over $10K, at least according to my figuring, but then I also got the kicker. YMMV, so 1) figure out the total worth of your MGIB, then 2) total up the tuition value of whatever college you're going to plus BAH for that area and the book stipend, then 3) compare the two to see which one is more valuable.

Also keep in mind that the 9/11 bill pays direct to the school, so it saves you paperwork if that's a big deal to you.

Good luck, and welcome to "the real world". Cool
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,421 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 2,023 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,357 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time Life Long Learning 6 1,884 02-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  GI Bill Dilemma Leherself 9 3,101 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill - webinar Life Long Learning 0 1,222 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,659 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  A word of caution if using Post 9/11 GI Bill Prloko 9 2,655 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  GI Bill or VRAP Transfers? SweetSecret 1 1,105 08-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: lawqueen04
  Gi bill certificate of eligibility superpotsky 2 1,040 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Last Post: dposborne