Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difficulty or ease of Grad School options from TESU BA/BS experience?
Nothing wrong with WGU....I'm happy with mine....Just understand what you're buying. Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
hoffdeb Wrote:As of right now, it looks like she is leaning towards business. So, maybe an MBA? Not sure...we are in the very early stages of this path! Thanks!

As mentioned earlier - undergrad business, not liberal arts. They are polar opposites. Business isn't a liberal art- there is no transfer between, shed have NO prereqs complete and she'll overflow her electives. If she did the whole BA in liberal arts, she'd only have 1/3 of her business degree finished- she'd have to start over. Now, if you'll forgive me for being so direct- how in the heck does she know she is cut out for business or like business for her ENTIRE LIFE if she isn't doing business classes? Seriously, at a minimum, she should take her business degree and use it as a test to see if she's up for it. Many people aren't - I hate business classes lol. I'd rather stab myself in the eye than sit through an economics class. {{{shudder}}}

After her bachelor's degree in business, it is my very strong advice to take advantage of her significant head start to launch into an unpaid internship followed by some serious work experience at with the best companies she can from the Fortune 500 list, even if it's lower level work. From there, she'll know what kind of grad work she needs and where she should go to get it. She can't know that now, she hasn't been rubbing elbows in the break room with people killing it in their careers - she doesn't know what she doesn't know. Once she reaches that point,she'll be ready to pick her school (or not) and won't need your guidance. *that's a complement btw* MBA programs that are good want applicants with business experience to build on.
This is really tough to answer. What subject does she want the degree in? Does she care about university prestige? It's probably best to find an area, then find a school, then we can help a bit more. The only universal feedback i've seen on graduate vs undergrad is be prepared for more writing. In my case, ALOT more writing. The positive side is it's all on topics you enjoy (well in your subject area at least).

Alot of others recommend work before graduate degree, and if it's an either / or type situation and she has a job offer, go for it. In most cases it's not, and I would recommend people go directly into a graduate program if they know they like the area. For me it made a huge difference. I was already in the frame of mind, and my undergrad material was really fresh.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I appreciate all the words of wisdom on the responses! Like I said, she is in the VERY early stages of this process. While earning her Homeschool High School required courses to graduate, she was also earning the college credits. First it was to earn the Associate degree, but then realized...hey, let's go for the four year degree. Now that she sees that possibility, she is seeing the advanced degree options as well! She is seeing the ease of doing this and is just looking forward to possibilities.[I] She may indeed NOT pursue the business options. I doubt she will actually. I do agree with the ages issues, the work experience issues, and the rest of the relevant issues.

The best option I am seeing for her right now is to earn the Liberal Arts degree because she lacks a concrete direction at age 18! I wouldn't think many do/did at that age!

I basically was looking to see if there are possibilities for her to pursue advanced degrees, if she desired. I wanted to know if the admission process was doable for her. The ease/difficulty of moving in that direction. Again, I appreciate all the help in this matter.
[/I]
hoffdeb Wrote:I appreciate all the words of wisdom on the responses! Like I said, she is in the VERY early stages of this process. While earning her Homeschool High School required courses to graduate, she was also earning the college credits. First it was to earn the Associate degree, but then realized...hey, let's go for the four year degree. Now that she sees that possibility, she is seeing the advanced degree options as well! She is seeing the ease of doing this and is just looking forward to possibilities.[I] She may indeed NOT pursue the business options. I doubt she will actually. I do agree with the ages issues, the work experience issues, and the rest of the relevant issues.

The best option I am seeing for her right now is to earn the Liberal Arts degree because she lacks a concrete direction at age 18! I wouldn't think many do/did at that age!

I basically was looking to see if there are possibilities for her to pursue advanced degrees, if she desired. I wanted to know if the admission process was doable for her. The ease/difficulty of moving in that direction. Again, I appreciate all the help in this matter.
[/I]

TESU is a regionally accredited state school - if she isn't admitted to grad school it isn't because of TESU, it's because she missed something - like hitting their GPA requirement or not taking the right courses.
Ease/difficulty- I think that depends on how many courses she takes. If she tests out of the bulk of her coursework, she will have to either be a quick learner or natural talent. Grad school will assume she has the cursory research and writing ability before she starts. If she does a balance of classes with her exams, she'll have an easier time of it.

EDIT: I don't think any of us meant to offend you, if I came across that way, I apologize. If I may ask, why coordinate a degree for her instead of a high school diploma with college credit?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 896 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,851 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,978 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,356 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,284 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  Analysis paralysis options jb111 5 427 02-13-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,245 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,284 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,409 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,356 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode